By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Hollywood Strikes again| Scarlett Johansson set to play a trans man in an upcoming movie

KManX89 said:
setsunatenshi said:

oh wow... i'm really enraged about it.............. -_-

ps: still can't believe how Hollywood can't seem to find a real kryptonian to play Superman, this cultural appropriation has to stop

Nice strawman.

Not a strawman. He's simply pointing the absurdity of "an actor has to be of the same identity of the character they're playing".

Around the Network
KManX89 said:

http://screencrush.com/scarlett-johansson-rub-tug-trans-man-movie/?trackback=twitter_mobile_top

Wow, they never learn, do they? First she plays an Asian character as a white chick in Ghost in the Shell and now this shit? Get the fuck out of here! And it's got the same director from the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie, too (Rupert Sanders).

I guess she learned nothing from all the backlash her whole whitewashing controversy got in their other movie, LOL. Which BTW, it was a shitty movie even on its own terms, even looking past the fact that Sco Jo isn't an iota Asian no matter how much pale makeup they put on her.

Scarlet Johansen is a cookie cutter actor who plays the same character despite them being different roles. She was Black Widow when playing Lucy, she was Black Widow in The Island, and was Black Widow playing Major.

She has ZERO talent for diversifying her acting and portraying different character dynamics.

TranceformerFX said:
KManX89 said:

http://screencrush.com/scarlett-johansson-rub-tug-trans-man-movie/?trackback=twitter_mobile_top

Wow, they never learn, do they? First she plays an Asian character as a white chick in Ghost in the Shell and now this shit? Get the fuck out of here! And it's got the same director from the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie, too (Rupert Sanders).

I guess she learned nothing from all the backlash her whole whitewashing controversy got in their other movie, LOL. Which BTW, it was a shitty movie even on its own terms, even looking past the fact that Sco Jo isn't an iota Asian no matter how much pale makeup they put on her.

Scarlet Johansen is a cookie cutter actor who plays the same character despite them being different roles. She was Black Widow when playing Lucy, she was Black Widow in The Island, and was Black Widow playing Major.

She has ZERO talent for diversifying her acting and portraying different character dynamics.

You haven't seen her other movies have you?

KManX89 said:
Aeolus451 said:
I doubt there's many trans men with experience who can actually act just hanging around. Besides it's actors and actresses' job to act as other people. Most people don't give one shit about this kind of stuff.

Then by all means get a man to play a trans man. And presentation means everything in a movie, it makes 0 sense to get somebody who doesn't look a smidge masculine to play a trans man. Same reason why everybody was so up in arms about Christian Bale, a white man playing Moses, an Egyptian, or for that matter, Scarlett Jo, a white chick playing Motoko Kusanagi, an Asian chick in GitS.

Yeah, and I can't believe they cast Josh Brolin as Thanos in Infinity War. Dude doesn't look even a *smidge* like Thanos in real life.

Azuren said:
KManX89 said:

Tiffany Haddish isn't NEARLY as popular as Sco Jo, yet Girls Night made more money on OW than Rough Night did during its entire run. 

And GitS and Exodus flopped big time thanks in no small part to the whitewashing backlash they had going in. I'd argue casting white actors in those movies only hurt them, not the other way around.

This. 

GitS didn't flop because of whitewashing, it flopped because it wasn't good. Don't conflate it's underperformance with your own childish outrage. It's like saying ice cream causes shark attacks because shark attacks and high ice cream sales both take place in the summer.

On the subject of GitS: you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Go look up what a Shell is and remember that anyone can use any Shell. It's perfectly possibly that the Makoto in the film IS Japanese, but she's using a Caucasian Shell. If you're going to be upset about something, do your damn research first.

And no, you don't have to be the same gender/race/orientation/etc as someone else to properly play the role. Actors are quite literally pretending to be what they're not. Children have pulled off very convincing serial killers, and I feel like Jo could pull off a trans pretty damn easily because she's a solid actor. Next you're going to tell me that only soldiers know how to play soldiers in movies, or how I keep setting up strawmen when in fact I'm just inconveniently tearing your argument apart with simple comparisons.

Oh yes, nevermind that it already had toxic word of mouth going in because of said controversy. Even Paramount themselves believe it played a role in the film's failure. 
Likewise with GhostBusters 2016: if you seriously don't think the extreme backlash it already had months before release contributed to it flopping hard (well-deserved), I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell to you.

And no, a tall black man with 6 packs is never gonna be a competent short Asian girl, so yes, it DOES matter. 

Around the Network
KManX89 said:
Azuren said:

GitS didn't flop because of whitewashing, it flopped because it wasn't good. Don't conflate it's underperformance with your own childish outrage. It's like saying ice cream causes shark attacks because shark attacks and high ice cream sales both take place in the summer.

On the subject of GitS: you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Go look up what a Shell is and remember that anyone can use any Shell. It's perfectly possibly that the Makoto in the film IS Japanese, but she's using a Caucasian Shell. If you're going to be upset about something, do your damn research first.

And no, you don't have to be the same gender/race/orientation/etc as someone else to properly play the role. Actors are quite literally pretending to be what they're not. Children have pulled off very convincing serial killers, and I feel like Jo could pull off a trans pretty damn easily because she's a solid actor. Next you're going to tell me that only soldiers know how to play soldiers in movies, or how I keep setting up strawmen when in fact I'm just inconveniently tearing your argument apart with simple comparisons.

Oh yes, nevermind that it already had toxic word of mouth going in because of said controversy. Even Paramount themselves believe it played a role in the film's failure. 
Likewise with GhostBusters 2016: if you seriously don't think the extreme backlash it already had months before release contributed to it flopping hard (well-deserved), I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell to you.

And no, a tall black man with 6 packs is never gonna be a competent short Asian girl, so yes, it DOES matter. 

Guess I have to be the one to point out the obvious here.

If you think this person looks like your average man:

--I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell to you.

Remember the outcry for Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's role in Gridiron Gang?

Neither do I.

Aeolus451 said:
TranceformerFX said:

You haven't seen her other movies have you?

I've also seen:

The Horse Whisperer

Under The Skin (terrible fucking movie by the way)

The Prestige

Don Jon (her accent was so fake it made me cringe)

Lost in Translation

Match Point (I watched it soley for the sex scene)

Chef

And of course, all the Iron Man/Avenger/ Captain America movies.

Non-issue

KManX89 said:
Azuren said:

The only people who went in with that mindset were the devout reactionaries like yourself. Most people couldn't care less, and fans of the series knew it didn't matter because it could very well just be a different Shell model, or even a new continuity. It was just the diehard outrage squad who was upset, so don't lump everyone into your little group.

Ghostbusters 2016 failed because it was a bad movie, too. That much was clear from the trailers, so very few wanted to go see it. The few that did rated it poorly, so not many more bothered. 

And dude, you do realize that you can really play whoever you want thanks to CG, right? Do you think they really found a Gungan to play Jar Jar Binks? 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Hope you were this upset when Marvel/Disney/Hollywood had Idris Alba play Nordic God. If not, you’re a hypocrit.