By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Hollywood Strikes again| Scarlett Johansson set to play a trans man in an upcoming movie

o_O.Q said:
MinatozakiSana said:
Backlash is well deserved! Queer actors and actresses had a hard enough time as it is to get roles. For a white woman who has endless other options to come in and take away the few oppotunities they had is just insulting.

To make it worse, this same woman already stole a role from Asians (another group who doesn't get representations in Hollywood). Nah she isn't getting away with it a second time.

"For a white woman who has endless other options to come in and take away the few oppotunities they had is just insulting. "

lol are you trying to imply that women are privileged?

because that's just hilarious to me on at least 3 levels

And i wonder for who that its "insulting", for the actual actors that can get roles if they're talented enough or only for these keyboardwarriors that need to tell everyone how to behave and need to speak about how others should feel about this.

If all these supposedly moral "advantaged" people got up and actually did something usefull for the world we would be in a much better place.

Around the Network

This movie isn't going to be made now

DarthMetalliCube said:

Again, sure, I'll concede that it'd probably make more sense for a great trans actor to play the role over a great female actor in a perfect world, but in reality.. was there one? Not only one that was up to the task and a quality actor, but one that would draw in as big an audience?

Again, tell that to Paramount, who aren't convinced getting a big name actor (or rather, actress) in the lead role for GitS (ironically the same one as this movie) at the cost of incurring the whitewashing backlash helped put asses in seats, quite the contrary. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that any kind of backlash will hurt a movie's performance, look at Exodus (another movie with a whitewashing controversy), GhostFloppers and Fant4shit. Sure, you can argue those movies would've flopped, anyway for being total pieces of shit, and I won't fight you on that (nobody I know who DID see those movies thought they were any good), but need I remind you that Fant4shit already had a brigade of Marvel fans waging a boycott campaign against the movie right out of the gate since, as we all know, it was made specifically to keep important characters like Doom and Galactus AWAY from the MCU (luckily that's come to pass with the Fox deal). If anything, the well-known politics behind the movie ensured it bombed even harder (good fucking riddance).

The only movies that are allowed to get away with negative press are the Bayformers movies. Those movies are critic-proof with all the kids lining the theaters to go see them because, explosions, and even those are dwindling down now (TLK had a HUGE dropoff in WW gross from AoE with just over $600m).

I DID watch Fant4shit BTW, or at least attempted to (online, no way would I pay to see that shit), I shut it off after 20 minutes because it was fucking awful, as expected.

DonFerrari said: besides that actors never represent who they are, so unless you demand engineers play engineers roles in movies and doctors for doctors, etc your point is very silly.

Some movie roles DO require you to actually be and/or have the appearance of the thing you're playing, why do you think Christian Bale's casting as Moses got so much backlash? Saying it's okay for a 6'4" black man with 6 packs to play a short Asian school girl because non-doctors play doctors all the time, for example is a HUGE stretch.

I can definitely see the other side of the argument, the problem lies when the same people crying foul about this call anyone who has a problem with Green Ranger being girlwashed into Tomi for the hypothetical Power Rangers sequel that won't be coming now a sexist/misogynist (there were definitely some feminists saying that). I don't want Tommy the Green Ranger being turned into Tomi the Green Ranger or Ellen Ripley being turned into Allen Ripley.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 17 July 2018

KManX89 said:
DonFerrari said: besides that actors never represent who they are, so unless you demand engineers play engineers roles in movies and doctors for doctors, etc your point is very silly.

Some movie roles DO require you to actually be and/or have the appearance of the thing you're playing, why do you think Christian Bale's casting as Moses got so much backlash? Saying it's okay for a 6'4" black man with 6 packs to play a short Asian school girl because non-doctors play doctors all the time, for example is a HUGE stretch.

I can definitely see the other side of the argument, the problem lies when the same people crying foul about this call anyone who has a problem with Green Ranger being girlwashed into Tomi for the hypothetical Power Rangers sequel that won't be coming now a sexist/misogynist (there were definitely some feminists saying that). I don't want Tommy the Green Ranger being turned into Tomi the Green Ranger or Ellen Ripley being turned into Allen Ripley.

I for sure would prefer you having someone with a physical appearance that is as near as possible of the intended target (like Lara Croft with Angelina at the time), but don't care that much if it is very different. Sure is dumb to have a white male to do a asian chick role (even if the adaptation made sense) but I wouldn't boycott or protest a movie because of this. I still of course doesn't like pandering and restricting creativity freedom, but I understand business and that sometimes they will put a big name in some roles that they don't fit because that will sell more tickets.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
KManX89 said:

race and height are social constructs

Immersiveunreality said:
o_O.Q said:

"For a white woman who has endless other options to come in and take away the few oppotunities they had is just insulting. "

lol are you trying to imply that women are privileged?

because that's just hilarious to me on at least 3 levels

And i wonder for who that its "insulting", for the actual actors that can get roles if they're talented enough or only for these keyboardwarriors that need to tell everyone how to behave and need to speak about how others should feel about this.

If all these supposedly moral "advantaged" people got up and actually did something usefull for the world we would be in a much better place.

no, no,no its way easier to tear successful people down than to actually try to improve

o_O.Q said:
KManX89 said:

race and height are social constructs

Yep some people even believe that making ajoke about some black person (not related to his race or color) is still racism. 

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

If this was the story of a woman transitioning into a man then I would understand casting a female actress, but since this is gonna be a transgender character all the way through (from what I read) then it is better to hire a transgender male actor instead.

adidas198 said:
If this was the story of a woman transitioning into a man then I would understand casting a female actress, but since this is gonna be a transgender character all the way through (from what I read) then it is better to hire a transgender male actor instead.

Yeah, I'm kinda torn on this. On the one hand, I see their point about having accurate portrayals of characters on-screen, especially minority characters (again, I bring up the example of a 6'4" black guy with six packs playing a short Asian school girl), but then again, this is largely the same crowd who was calling people racist/sexist for disliking the new Fantastic Four and GhostBusters movies (even though the "blackwashing" of Johnny Storm was probably the least of that film's problems) or having a problem with Green Ranger being turned into a woman in the planned Power Rangers sequel (this WAS being discussed). We can ignore the essence and tradition of iconic male characters and let women claim them as their own, but God forbid they try to play a trans character. That's hypocritical, and downright ridiculous.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 19 July 2018