By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Hollywood Strikes again| Scarlett Johansson set to play a trans man in an upcoming movie

Well its kind a hard fiding a big trans a tor is it. Especially since they make up less than a half percent of the population. Not even talking into account it needs be a male to female trans person. But I am confused doesn't Hollywood want more diverse represententation. My guess is there are plenty of actors who are not gay but play a gay character. The demographic still gets representented and actors usually play someone they are not. So why could a female not act like a transmale. I would impose the question if it would be better if this movie was not made at all instead, because I doubt it would have been made with an actual transexual actor.

OT
Anyway Scarlett is pretty hot so I would say if you would look like Scarlett after the transition you pretty much nailed it. As far as looks are concerned.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

An actress hired to act as someone they're not.

Oh no. What a travesty.

jason1637 said:
Wyrdness said:

Have you seen the film first of all?

The character was Japanese and played by a Japanese actress, the story explains Scarlet was the body they hid her brain in as part of a massive cover up.

No but based of this thread I thought she was playing a Japanese character. Still I think you shouldn't play a role of a character if you're not the same culture, group, or race.

That's a bit broad. What about people who played American Jews in the film, inglorious bastards? That covers race and religion surely? There was no uproar then. What about those who played German Nazis? Or is playing someone with a different idealolgyt but same skin colour ok?

Or doesn't it matter because they're "just" white males?

Either actors can play whoever they want or they can't. Vin Diesel isn't a tree. Who cares.

Last edited by ironmanDX - on 08 July 2018

Okay lots of people are saying that this isn't an issue because it's the job of actors to portray someone different. While it's true that an actor's job is to protray someone they themselves are not, I think there are limits to believability that get crossed when it comes to things like a white actor portraying a character who is clearly supposed to be Asian. I mean it can't be said that I'm a big fan of transgenderism, to be honest with everyone. Even so, that doesn't mean that I'm therefore in favor of people who consider themselves to be transgender being misrepresented in this kind of a blatant way that seems intentional.

If you don't like it, don't watch the movie. I don't see any problem here at all.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Wyrdness said:

Have you seen the film first of all?

The character was Japanese and played by a Japanese actress, the story explains Scarlet was the body they hid her brain in as part of a massive cover up.

No but based of this thread I thought she was playing a Japanese character. Still I think you shouldn't play a role of a character if you're not the same culture, group, or race.

If you haven't seen the movie then you can't level that complaint at the movie because the's a story reason Scarlet plays the character and a really good one at that.

Qwark said:
Well its kind a hard fiding a big trans a tor is it. Especially since they make up less than a half percent of the population. Not even talking into account it needs be a male to female trans person. But I am confused doesn't Hollywood want more diverse represententation. My guess is there are plenty of actors who are not gay but play a gay character. The demographic still gets representented and actors usually play someone they are not. So why could a female not act like a transmale. I would impose the question if it would be better if this movie was not made at all instead, because I doubt it would have been made with an actual transexual actor.

OT
Anyway Scarlett is pretty hot so I would say if you would look like Scarlett after the transition you pretty much nailed it. As far as looks are concerned.

It's a female-to-male character, actually. That's the only reason I think Scarlett is a mismatch, because I can't imagine her looking masculine, but honestly, this person didn't look very masculine in real life, either.

Ok, so what? Who cares if Scarlett Johansen plays a trans character? Even if it was a male-to-female transition I still think it would be a miscast, but at the end of the day it's the director's product and he can do whatever he wants.

I have no interest in seeing it because I never saw Ghost in the Shell and this doesn't exactly sound like my cup of tea, but I'm not gonna bitch about it.

Now, if there is a Trans character and their only redeeming trait is they're trans, that's lazy writing and should be called out on when the film releases.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
TranceformerFX said:

......her race was never implied, but Kusanagi is a Japanese name lol. 

?

My comment never said she wasn't Japanese, so I don't really see what is "lol" about that comment. In fact, I would have assumed you took from that that I thought she was Japanese, doesn't saying that she doesn't seem overly Japanese imply that she still is Japanese? 

So what you're saying is that it's acceptable for Scarlet Johansen to play Major Kusanagi because were not constantly reminded that she's Japanese in the original cartoon/source material? I lol'd because your comment came off as silly to me. Also, your reply makes no sense in context to your original comment. 

its a movie, she's an actress...i don't see the issue