By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Hollywood Strikes again| Scarlett Johansson set to play a trans man in an upcoming movie

I think the final product will need to be judged for itself. However with that said, I do not find anything wrong with this myself.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
jason1637 said:

As someone that's part Japanese I find it offensive when a non Japanese person plays the role of a Japanese person.

I hope that you're being sarcastic. Who cares what you find offensive as a part Japanese person. I'm part Japanese as well and I don't think any of it's offensive. We're not monolithic. "As a _____ person" doesn't mean shit especially in this situation. Japanese like any other culture copy other countries' films or books then cast all people from their own country. It's normal and okay for any country to do.

I believe that you shouldn't play the part of a culture,race, or group you don't belong to. Someone playing the role of someone from my culture and she isn't part of it offends me.

Ultr said:
"I find it offensive"

okay.

your avatar is perfect.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

jason1637 said:
Aeolus451 said:

I hope that you're being sarcastic. Who cares what you find offensive as a part Japanese person. I'm part Japanese as well and I don't think any of it's offensive. We're not monolithic. "As a _____ person" doesn't mean shit especially in this situation. Japanese like any other culture copy other countries' films or books then cast all people from their own country. It's normal and okay for any country to do.

I believe that you shouldn't play the part of a culture,race, or group you don't belong to. Someone playing the role of someone from my culture and she isn't part of it offends me.

That's utterly idiotic and wrong because that's segregation. If I want to make a movie in China based on a book from Russia, does that mean that I have to use a Russian cast? If a culture is great or liked, it should be shared.

jason1637 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Nothing in the Ghost in the Shell 1995 film made the Major seem overly Japanese. It just happened to take place in Japan. That's it. Most Japanese cartoons do not put a heavy emphasis on making characters look Japanese. Because it's a cartoon, it's just an abstract approximation of what humans "look like". The complaints about GiTS are really ridiculous. Her race was never that important to the movie. 

As someone that's part Japanese I find it offensive when a non Japanese person plays the role of a Japanese person.

Oh, sorry, Scarlet didn't mean to offend 10% of you

Now what does your other 90% think?

Around the Network

So? I don’t get these cry babies nowadays....what has this world come to?

Get over yourself and grow up damnit.

Yeah, this is is pushing it.

Scarlett Johansson is an A-List actress and this is very interesting role for her to play. If she pulls it off this is an awards magnet.

Additionally, I don't think she was a perfect choice for Ghost in the Shell, but I don't think actual Japanese people gave a fuck.

Last edited by Moren - on 07 July 2018

jason1637 said:

Have you seen the film first of all?

The character was Japanese and played by a Japanese actress, the story explains Scarlet was the body they hid her brain in as part of a massive cover up.

Wyrdness said:
jason1637 said:

Have you seen the film first of all?

The character was Japanese and played by a Japanese actress, the story explains Scarlet was the body they hid her brain in as part of a massive cover up.

No but based of this thread I thought she was playing a Japanese character. Still I think you shouldn't play a role of a character if you're not the same culture, group, or race.

All I will say is I enjoyed Ghost in the Shell with her in it so no complaints here.