By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Hollywood Strikes again| Scarlett Johansson set to play a trans man in an upcoming movie

haven't seen ghost in the shell till now, but i like her as actor

Around the Network
KManX89 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Isn't the point of being an actor to play something you're not?

Yes, but presentation means everything in a movie, especially in an adaptation of something in the case of GitS. Why do you think there was so much backlash when Christian Bale, a white man was cast to play Moses in Exodus: Gods and Kings? To that end, it would make a shit ton more sense to get somebody who actually looks like a man to play a trans man.

Inb4 "but she's playing a biologically female character, hur hur".

Hold on a minute here...

So you're still mad at GiTS because they had a white lady play an asian cyborg, even though the character from the anime had a pale complexion, and was a cyborg.
Now you're mad because they will have a woman (who will identify as a man for the role) to play a woman who identified as a man, because she doesn't look enough like a man.

So which is it. Is it more important they have the same genetic origin, or more important they look the part?

JRPGfan said:
Why not get a actual trans person to play the role? or a man thats willing to play a trans if thats what the role calls for?

Because that's not how acting work. Btw, the trans person is a FTM trans.

Was this a problem?

Accepting cis women as trans is the last frontier for modern feminism.

Around the Network

god, Ghost in the Shell. i hate white-washing, it's disgusting cultural appropriation

but boy did I love the latest Thor movie with all the black people in Asgard and Valkyrie being a black woman. And the recent BBC show where all the Greek gods were changed to black men was awesome. And Deadpool 2 when Domino was played by a FIERCE black woman instead of a boring white chick like in the comics. Oh, and Idris Elba should be the next James Bond. And Donald Glover should be the next Spiderman. And Michael B Jordan should be the next Superman

celador said:
god, Ghost in the Shell. i hate white-washing, it's disgusting cultural appropriation

but boy did I love the latest Thor movie with all the black people in Asgard and Valkyrie being a black woman. And the recent BBC show where all the Greek gods were changed to black men was awesome. And Deadpool 2 when Domino was played by a FIERCE black woman instead of a boring white chick like in the comics. Oh, and Idris Elba should be the next James Bond. And Donald Glover should be the next Spiderman. And Michael B Jordan should be the next Superman

spare me

Yeah, but have you seen those old Flintstones episodes? They'll make you totally ok with a black Hitler biopic.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Flilix said:

Huh? What's the issue?

The issue, if there is one, is that at this point in time people love to be outraged.  

Yeah, not gonna complain about a movie I have zero interest in...

She did yellowface before?