Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why console crossplay will mean nothing in the long run

KLXVER said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Just because its not a deal breaker doesn't mean the people have to be happy with it.

Xbox and Switch users are playing together on their preferred platforms, that's just dandy and I don't think its hurting either company. Users seem to be happy about it as well.

I'm not sure why people defend Sony on this. Sony does this because they believe its in their benefit, not their fans benefit.

No, but it wont change anything. So it doesn't matter.

Sometimes a large number of people asking for a feature or changes gets results.

Will it work this time? Maybe not. But that also doesn't mean people should be quiet simply because Sony is stubborn.



Recently Completed
Gears 5
for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
KLXVER said:

No, but it wont change anything. So it doesn't matter.

Sometimes a large number of people asking for a feature or changes gets results.

Will it work this time? Maybe not. But that also doesn't mean people should be quiet simply because Sony is stubborn.

Well if they have told Sony its dumb that's one thing, but simply saying its dumb does nothing.



KLXVER said:
jason1637 said:

Anecdotal but most of my friends with PS4s think it's dumb that Sony doesn't allow it.

So have they switched to XB1 or PC gaming?

2 of them got a PC but they still regularly play on PS4.



jason1637 said:
I don't think it affects sales. The XBO has been having it's best year sales wise and the Switch is selling really goof and they both have crossplay.
Mentioning that MS has a pay wall for F2P is like a kid getting in trouble and then being like "but so and so also dI'd this", doesn't make Sony's problem any better.
Personally I'd love to see crossplay become the norm with PS4. For the last few weeks I've been playing with my friends that game on PC on Fortnite and RL. Also gonna start playing RL and Fortnite with my sister today. Will let her use my Switch and I'll play on my Xbox.

Well maybe, it does already.

Just look at the NPD prediction thread and where PS4 sales have dropped to over the last weeks. It went from nearly 600 points all the way down to 250, not very far above XBO outside of any promotion (around 200) and far below the Switch (428 points right now) http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/dev2016/post.php?id=8843004

Of course, part of this could just be customers waiting for the Fortnite PS4 bundle, but seeing how far and fast PS4 dropped indicates that this probably won't be enough to recover all the sales lost in between.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 03 July 2018

VGPolyglot said:
I honestly don't care how it affects sales, I'm not a shareholder. So, I didn't make a claim on how it'd affect sales, I'm saying that they should have cross-play and it's detrimental to us by them not allowing it.

I agree 100%.  This is more directed at the negative news articles acting like it is going to make a difference come next gen, when either PS5 and X1 will either have Xplay or not.  Either way no side would be ahead of the other as Nintendo would no longer be a factor.

 

I think you and I share the same opinion overall though.  It should be the norm, but unless there is another major console for MS to crossplay with there is little we can do about it until all parties decide to play nice.

KLXVER said:
I don't see the point in discussing this tbh. Nintendo and MS fans love it because their companies does it and Sony fans don't think its a big deal because their company doesn't do it. Game companies can do whatever they want. They don't need to serve the gamers anymore. Gamers are serving the companies now. Its like sports teams. Fans love them no matter what they do.

Well let me make myself clear, I am not defending Sony.  Cross play should be the norm as far as I am concerned.  I am just pointing out that all these news media outlets trying to act like it is going to make a difference next gen are out of their minds.

Medisti said:
The Playstation 2 is unstoppable. They can charge whatever they want for the PS3, and the Xbox 360 won't be able to do anything about it. Sony knows this.

Apples to oranges.  Having a price point advantage and a year head start was a huge advantage for MS.  Come next gen though, Sony saying no to cross play leaves no one for MS to cross play with as the Switch will not keep up with the next wave of consoles.  In this scenario, there is no advantage to be had.

Mr Puggsly said:
KLXVER said:

So have they switched to XB1 or PC gaming?

Just because its not a deal breaker doesn't mean the people have to be happy with it.

Xbox and Switch users are playing together on their preferred platforms, that's just dandy and I don't think its hurting either company. Users seem to be happy about it as well.

I'm not sure why people defend Sony on this. Sony does this because they believe its in their benefit, not their fans benefit.

I agree, people defending it is stupid.  The people who act like it makes a difference in the long run AS THINGS CURRENTLY STAND are being just as stupid is my point.  This is not directed at those who simply voice what they would like, so please do not misunderstand my stance on the matter.

 

I have made it clear several times, I want cross play.  There just is nothing that will viably push Sony into it unless there is a 3rd console that can keep up power wise that is also willing to force Sony's hand.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
jason1637 said:
I don't think it affects sales. The XBO has been having it's best year sales wise and the Switch is selling really goof and they both have crossplay.
Mentioning that MS has a pay wall for F2P is like a kid getting in trouble and then being like "but so and so also dI'd this", doesn't make Sony's problem any better.
Personally I'd love to see crossplay become the norm with PS4. For the last few weeks I've been playing with my friends that game on PC on Fortnite and RL. Also gonna start playing RL and Fortnite with my sister today. Will let her use my Switch and I'll play on my Xbox.

Well maybe, it does already.

Just look at the NPD prediction thread and where PS4 sales have dropped to over the last weeks. It went from nearly 600 points all the way down to 250, not very far above XBO outside of any promotion (around 200) and far below the Switch (428 points right now) http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/dev2016/post.php?id=8843004

Of course, part of this could just be customers waiting for the Fortnite PS4 bundle, but seeing how far and fast PS4 dropped indicates that this probably won't be enough to recover all the sales lost in between.

Well GoW moved a lot of consoles.  A drop a month or so after a major release proves nothing really, especially considering that Fortnite is on Switch now for portable play.  However, those sales too will drop until Smash hits.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

If people want to play with PS4 owners then they should get a PS4, simple.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

KLXVER said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Just because its not a deal breaker doesn't mean the people have to be happy with it.

Xbox and Switch users are playing together on their preferred platforms, that's just dandy and I don't think its hurting either company. Users seem to be happy about it as well.

I'm not sure why people defend Sony on this. Sony does this because they believe its in their benefit, not their fans benefit.

No, but it wont change anything. So it doesn't matter.

Actually that is wrong.  If Sony start to see a lot of people who own a PS give them hell for this they will change.  As far as Sony is concerned, they can sit on it and see if it goes away.  Sony love post like this and the original topic.  When gamers take up for them for basically giving them less freedom and they accept it, they have to do no work on their own.  In the end, loving a company in site of being a gamer will always be detrimental to any gamer.



I was open minded about this idea when it was first a new topic. Now after seeing this same topic over and, usually just for the sake of console warring, I have firmly changed my mind.

I want my gaming experiences to be fun, escapist, friendly ones. I've pulled back from much involvement in forums and communities which are not really positive gaming ones, but are instead full of hatred, divisiveness and corporate loyalties, which have no meaning to whether I am enjoying games and gaming or not.

I want my gaming multiplayer and co-op experiences to be one where I can filter out the nasties, but also make new friends. Then add those friends to play anything and everything. In no way do I want that experience just to be an horrible extension of the console warring I am trying to escape from on social media and gaming forums.

If next generation becomes a single format, a single community with one community communication system, I would be happy with that. Till then, as long as people are radicalising themselves to get angry and emotional over different pieces of plastic, I will instead back no crossplay. Hopefully next gen people are more grown up, friendlier, and the whole package is designed so I can make friends on every system without the system being the biggest factor instead of having fun and the actual games being played.



Bofferbrauer2 said:
jason1637 said:
I don't think it affects sales. The XBO has been having it's best year sales wise and the Switch is selling really goof and they both have crossplay.
Mentioning that MS has a pay wall for F2P is like a kid getting in trouble and then being like "but so and so also dI'd this", doesn't make Sony's problem any better.
Personally I'd love to see crossplay become the norm with PS4. For the last few weeks I've been playing with my friends that game on PC on Fortnite and RL. Also gonna start playing RL and Fortnite with my sister today. Will let her use my Switch and I'll play on my Xbox.

Well maybe, it does already.

Just look at the NPD prediction thread and where PS4 sales have dropped to over the last weeks. It went from nearly 600 points all the way down to 250, not very far above XBO outside of any promotion (around 200) and far below the Switch (428 points right now) http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/dev2016/post.php?id=8843004

Of course, part of this could just be customers waiting for the Fortnite PS4 bundle, but seeing how far and fast PS4 dropped indicates that this probably won't be enough to recover all the sales lost in between.

The drop is because the Playstation 'Days of Play' deal is gone, it was for a limited time.  It was the best selling console at both Bestbuy.com and Gamestop.com (and projecting to their physical stores as well) while it was available.  That tells me that when the PS4 has some kind of console deal, there is huge demand (Like the GOW PS4 bundle in April or the MHW bundle in January).  Outside of that, its back to normal.  Playstation's representation from Amazon is zero which also affects how the NPD predicting tool operates but we also know that Amazon has been wrong for the last couple months with PS4 system/games not being present on Amazon but still winning/higher overall on NPD.