By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why console crossplay will mean nothing in the long run

Question for the cross players: Do you know if you're playing with someone that's on a different console?

I feel that cross play only affects 1% of gamers that has friends that own a different console and want to play together, but chances are, your friends have the same system as you and there's never a shortage of players online when you play. So why the big need of cross play? Just cause people are saying so?

I personally want Sony to jump on cross play, but only for the sake of getting the complainers to stop. Because the bottomline is that with or without cross play, it has never affected my gaming experience (and likely hasnt affected any of yours).

Around the Network

Not sure why people expect compatibility/interaction like this between competing companies.

Ka-pi96 said:
If people want to play with PS4 owners then they should get a PS4, simple.

Umm, it's not just those who don't have a PS4 that want cross-play, I have a PS4 and want cross-play too.

Azuren said:
I would be down for crossplay if they wanted to add it in to some games, but it's not something I'm foaming at the mouth to get. Most Switch crossplay wouldn't mean anything to me since MHW is too much for it, though it'd be nice to play Dark Souls Remastered with my Switch friends from my couch.

So that brings me to PC and Xbox. Crossplay with PC is, in my opinion, significantly more important than crossplay with Xbox. In fact, I'd say Sony should talk to Valve again about getting some kind of compatibility with Steam. Xbox is less important, though, especially for me. Most of the games I personally enjoy aren't super popular on Xbox and have rather small communities. Outside of that, the XB1 community is just smaller as a whole, not 80m strong like PS4 or obscenely strong like Steam.

If Sony can make it work with Xbox, great. But Steam should have priority.

The thing is Sony already has cross play with PC as well.  Final Fantasy XIV, Fortnite, Warframe, etc already do this.  The only reason it looks like the X1 has more PC crossplay is because their "exclusives" have it while the PS4's exclusives are actually exclusive to the console.  Well that and the fact that Sony has a bigger focus on single player games.

Most 3rd party games lack crossplay altogether.  I do not think PC crossplay will ever be an issue for any console maker.  They just do not want to share with their direct competitors.  It is a shame because I feel like ONE company will always be against it.

During the PS360 days, MS blocked cross play and Sony was for it.  Now that the tables have turned, Sony is the one blocking us.  If things flipped again, MS could very well go back and say no.

I feel like crossplay will remain just outside of our reach on consoles until there are three consoles powerful enough to support it.  As it stands now, Nintendo will not keep up in power next gen so Sony has zero reason to fold aside from just being nice.

This is the sad truth.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

But its not about the sales....... its about what the players want! There are PS4 players like you wants crossplay.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

It's really simple. Cross play is just the new B/C of 2 years ago. People made such a big deal about it when it was announced, like it would help the XBO (it even was the reason they won E3 for some) and hurt Sony for not doing it. Here we are, now, with PS4 about to hit 100M+ and it up in the air if XBO will even hit 50M. It's just another way for those at the bottom to swipe at the king of the hill. Truth is most either don't know about it or don't care. They have a PS4. Their friends have PS4. It won't hurt sales. And it won't hurt the PS5. The only thing that could hurt that is a $599 price. But, Sony isn't going to do that.

And I dont get it. People said Sony wanted to do Crossplay for the PS3. Why did they change for the PS4?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

You didn't take into consideration that PHONES are involved here, hence why Switch will remain relevant

So that shitty thing Sony is doing is not shitty because they will be getting away with it?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Jranation said:
And I dont get it. People said Sony wanted to do Crossplay for the PS3. Why did they change for the PS4?

For many, like me, that has not changed.  I support the notion, but am not blinded by the reality of the situation.

kopstudent89 said:
You didn't take into consideration that PHONES are involved here, hence why Switch will remain relevant

Playing on a Switch is by far preferable to a phone.  With a Switch I get traditional controls.  With a phone I get shitty touch controls and an overall less enjoyable experience.

But I have a feeling you already knew that but posted anyway.  Nice try though...no not really.

vivster said:
So that shitty thing Sony is doing is not shitty because they will be getting away with it?

No it is still shitty.  There is just no reason for people to change consoles when the entire subject will offer no advantage to MS what so ever come the next console cycle.

Last edited by Shiken - on 03 July 2018

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261