By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why console crossplay will mean nothing in the long run

JRPGfan said:
Baddman said:
I didnt really care if Sony did it until couple day ago when my daughter and niece were playing fortnite together online on the ps4 and my son was playing fortnite on the switch and he swore up and down he was in the same game as them :( still haven't had the heart to tell him he was not playing with them

That sucks... time to get him a PS4 I guess.

Or let him play on a PC? PS4 and PC works together too Im pretty sure.

tell me about it but I don't feel comfortable with him playing anything on my pc he is very very very messy  on top of the fact my pc hasn't been hooked up for 6 months 

Around the Network
Baddman said:
JRPGfan said:

That sucks... time to get him a PS4 I guess.

Or let him play on a PC? PS4 and PC works together too Im pretty sure.

tell me about it but I don't feel comfortable with him playing anything on my pc he is very very very messy  on top of the fact my pc hasn't been hooked up for 6 months 

The mobile versions of Fortnite and PUBG are always an option.  Not sure what the lowest spec phone is that could run the game.  I tried to play PUBG with my stepson on mobile with his throwaway phone for games, but it is not compatible.

That is another reason that mobile meshing with console games does not guarantee a Switch version.  An Iphone 16 might play games that phones today, or the Switch for that matter, wouldn't be able to run.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I agree, PS doesn't really have to worry about cross play this gen or next. I do think that they will offer their own version of cross play much like BC with PS Now. Maybe with PS4, but more likely with PS5, they can offer an upgraded PS Plus Platinum service that adds cross play functionality for $75 to $100 for the year. Keep the F2P games free from the paywall though. This way they can make the cross play gamers put their money where their mouth is. If it is so important to them, $100 per year shouldn't be a big deal. If it's not that important, then play with the many other PS players for free. Either this, or go a more similar route to XB. Put the F2P games behind the $60 PS Plus paywall, and add cross play functionality to that service. This would be a cheaper way of adding the functionality to the ecosystem, but would also mean players are more likely to cross play, depending on what PS really would prefer.

The people who assume cross play should 'just be a thing because it's 2018' should also take notice of the recent articles about Bethesda trying to smear PS. Todd Howard is complaining about how PS isn't being very helpful and so Fallout 76 won't have cross play. Well you know what else Fallout 76 won't have? A Switch version. I wonder why? Maybe because business and money come first, no matter if your a developer, publisher, or platform holder. But hey, Bethesda is saying they may port some old game to Switch to make up for it, which totally makes up for not getting new releases on all platforms right away, right?

Shiken said:
Baddman said:

The mobile versions of Fortnite and PUBG are always an option.  Not sure what the lowest spec phone is that could run the game.  I tried to play PUBG with my stepson on mobile with his throwaway phone for games, but it is not compatible.

That is another reason that mobile meshing with console games does not guarantee a Switch version.  An Iphone 16 might play games that phones today, or the Switch for that matter, wouldn't be able to run.

Nintendo won't stick with the Switch forever. They'll upgrade eventually.

KLAMarine said:
Shiken said:

Nintendo won't stick with the Switch forever. They'll upgrade eventually.

This is true, however that will likely be further into the lifeapan of the PS5 and X(2).  If they follow the business model for Switch, which makes sense, and release a Switch 2, it will likely have a similar power gap with the other two that we see today.  Also by then, the PS5 would likely have a commanding lead to where the damage will have already been done, unless Sony drops the ball elsewhere that is.

Now if Nintendo were to get into the market of launching beefed up consoles, which likely will not happen, but IF they do...things could be a little different.  However it would still result in them needing to launch it closer to the PS5 rather than later to make the biggest impact.  If they did this, I could see Switch becoming a handheld that can be connected to the TV and officially replacing the 3DS, which would keep them from shutting out millions of Switch owners early.

Now if this happens...well then things get interesting as we would now have a 3rd beefy console for MS to crossplay with.  However based on Nintendo's history and how this requires a number of factors to line up...it is still possible...but highly unlikely.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Of course it has an impact. Not will, it already is impacting. 

It is deluting the competitive effort. Not just the platform holders efforts. Do people have already forgotten? With crossplay pubs have even less reason to commit to AAA single player. Or is anybody seriously suggesting Bethesda&Co. don't have any financial interests and don't pursue a Games as a Service agenda?

O i have bad feeling about this...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/visceral-star-wars/amy-hennig-ea

It is almost comical how they are steering the community to do their bidding.

Jranation said:
And I dont get it. People said Sony wanted to do Crossplay for the PS3. Why did they change for the PS4?

That was two games, they didn't actively pursue it and make a fuss about it, there was no cruddy crossplay PR-campaign.

Hunting Season is done...

Educate me. What F2P game is free on PS4 and not  free  onXbox One?

one honest question... i'm playing on my ps4 and people from xbox or nintendo do something that breaks the rules by offending me (for example), do i have to go to their platform for reporting them? because sony has no power over the xbox platform or nintendo platform to enforce a ban, how would this work? anyone knows? if they do go into this crossplay thing i hope to have a option to enable and disable crossplay and i will have it disable 

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

sergiodaly said:

one honest question... i'm playing on my ps4 and people from xbox or nintendo do something that breaks the rules by offending me (for example), do i have to go to their platform for reporting them? because sony has no power over the xbox platform or nintendo platform to enforce a ban, how would this work? anyone knows? if they do go into this crossplay thing i hope to have a option to enable and disable crossplay and i will have it disable 

Do you have to do something? You got offended...so what?

In the long run it will matter because we're entering an age were developers are looking at collective userbase rather than segregated platform userbases and in the long run hardware platforms get replaced while the account like system developers are looking towards will remain across gens it's all well now Sony refusing to play along but when the next hardware comes along it's all reset again and the ball is back in the developers court.

Remember the was a time when people thought online wouldn't matter in the long run.