By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why console crossplay will mean nothing in the long run

KLXVER said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Sometimes a large number of people asking for a feature or changes gets results.

Will it work this time? Maybe not. But that also doesn't mean people should be quiet simply because Sony is stubborn.

Well if they have told Sony its dumb that's one thing, but simply saying its dumb does nothing.

The message in general in resonating. Sony is well aware and have been asked about it.

Just recently someone at Sony spoke out about it and gave a BS answer. Bethesda essentially took at jab at Sony for not allowing it. Crossplay is more relevant than its ever been at this point and the only barrier from it becoming more common is Sony.

Sony doesn't have to comply, but we are certainly allowed to be critical of Sony and the criticism should continue.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Baddman said:

tell me about it but I don't feel comfortable with him playing anything on my pc he is very very very messy  on top of the fact my pc hasn't been hooked up for 6 months 

The mobile versions of Fortnite and PUBG are always an option.  Not sure what the lowest spec phone is that could run the game.  I tried to play PUBG with my stepson on mobile with his throwaway phone for games, but it is not compatible.

That is another reason that mobile meshing with console games does not guarantee a Switch version.  An Iphone 16 might play games that phones today, or the Switch for that matter, wouldn't be able to run.

the mobile version is a definite no I shall not be buying any apple devices  maybe if they bring it to android still my son may not I noticed he doesn't like touch controls or really anything but a regular controller in his hands

Mr Puggsly said:
KLXVER said:

Well if they have told Sony its dumb that's one thing, but simply saying its dumb does nothing.

The message in general in resonating. Sony is well aware and have been asked about it.

Just recently someone at Sony spoke out about it and gave a BS answer. Bethesda essentially took at jab at Sony for not allowing it. Crossplay is more relevant than its ever been at this point and the only barrier from it becoming more common is Sony.

Sony doesn't have to comply, but we are certainly allowed to be critical of Sony and the criticism should continue.

Is it? I mean if they gave a BS answer, is it really resonating?

KLAMarine said:
pokoko said:
I need to find an article or thread telling me why I want crossplay.

At this point in time, crossplay ranks #259 on my list of "Things that matter to me when selecting a new video game console." However, it's right on the cusp of overtaking #258, which is "how much does does it hurt when I accidentally step on the controller."

Because crossplay enables one to play with other people regardless of platform, widens the pool of players to play multiplayer games with, increases players to play different multiplayer modes, shortens matchmaking time, can connect you to more people who are closer to you geographically thus helping ensure more stable connections.

I don't care about the first one at all.  As for the rest, I'd like to read about it at the source, if you don't mind.  Which Xbox/Switch crossplay games are you drawing this information from?  What are the actual numbers?  Seconds?  Minutes?  How is that being measured?

KLXVER said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Is it? I mean if they gave a BS answer, is it really resonating?

Among users and Sony is well aware.

This is why companies are openly being critical of Sony. Essentially telling people to go bother Sony.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
sergiodaly said:

one honest question... i'm playing on my ps4 and people from xbox or nintendo do something that breaks the rules by offending me (for example), do i have to go to their platform for reporting them? because sony has no power over the xbox platform or nintendo platform to enforce a ban, how would this work? anyone knows? if they do go into this crossplay thing i hope to have a option to enable and disable crossplay and i will have it disable 

Do you have to do something? You got offended...so what?

read the bold... that was a example of a rule break... if others break the rules where do we complain? how do we deal with bad people that is from another platform? i don't get offended by anything a anonymous say about me online... but rules are there and that is one rule that can be broken and if i'm going to let my son play online i have to know how do i deal with rule breaking people... that simple... the fact that you didn't get that tell's me that this reply is kind of worthless but i'm hopeful today, so here it is...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Shiken said:
KLAMarine said:

Nintendo won't stick with the Switch forever. They'll upgrade eventually.

This is true, however that will likely be further into the lifeapan of the PS5 and X(2).  If they follow the business model for Switch, which makes sense, and release a Switch 2, it will likely have a similar power gap with the other two that we see today.  Also by then, the PS5 would likely have a commanding lead to where the damage will have already been done, unless Sony drops the ball elsewhere that is.

Now if Nintendo were to get into the market of launching beefed up consoles, which likely will not happen, but IF they do...things could be a little different.  However it would still result in them needing to launch it closer to the PS5 rather than later to make the biggest impact.  If they did this, I could see Switch becoming a handheld that can be connected to the TV and officially replacing the 3DS, which would keep them from shutting out millions of Switch owners early.

Now if this happens...well then things get interesting as we would now have a 3rd beefy console for MS to crossplay with.  However based on Nintendo's history and how this requires a number of factors to line up...it is still possible...but highly unlikely.

The power gap between Switch and PS4/X1 hasn't stopped games like Doom 2016 from showing up on the Switch. That's the thing about software: it can be scaled.

pokoko said:
KLAMarine said:

Because crossplay enables one to play with other people regardless of platform, widens the pool of players to play multiplayer games with, increases players to play different multiplayer modes, shortens matchmaking time, can connect you to more people who are closer to you geographically thus helping ensure more stable connections.

I don't care about the first one at all.

I get that you don't but surely other people do.

pokoko said:

As for the rest, I'd like to read about it at the source, if you don't mind.  Which Xbox/Switch crossplay games are you drawing this information from?  What are the actual numbers?  Seconds?  Minutes?  How is that being measured?

I think it stands to reason: I expect a multiplayer game to benefit from a high player count since this increases the chance that there are players near you to play with as well as more people interested in playing whatever mode you are interested in. I'd also expect a matchmaking algorithm to discriminate based on connection quality and with more players to choose from, there should be less chance an algorithm end up having to pick poorer connections for the sake of starting a game.

Darc Requiem said:
Jranation said:
And I dont get it. People said Sony wanted to do Crossplay for the PS3. Why did they change for the PS4?

They are ahead this generation. Last generation MS was anti-cross play and Sony was pro cross play. Cross-platform helpOne of the ways console markers garner extra sales is leverage their online user base and the ability to play with your friends. Cross-platform negates the advantage of a larger userbase. In the case of games like Fortnite, They don't get their cut of DLC revenue from other platforms.

TLDR Sony was pro crossplay when they were behind MS. MS is pro cross-platform because they are behind Sony.

Soo who ever is ahead does jot want to implement this. This is quite funny.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Zoombael said:

Of course it has an impact. Not will, it already is impacting. 

It is deluting the competitive effort. Not just the platform holders efforts. Do people have already forgotten? With crossplay pubs have even less reason to commit to AAA single player. Or is anybody seriously suggesting Bethesda&Co. don't have any financial interests and don't pursue a Games as a Service agenda?

O i have bad feeling about this...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/visceral-star-wars/amy-hennig-ea

It is almost comical how they are steering the community to do their bidding.

Jranation said:
And I dont get it. People said Sony wanted to do Crossplay for the PS3. Why did they change for the PS4?

That was two games, they didn't actively pursue it and make a fuss about it, there was no cruddy crossplay PR-campaign.

Sooo sony is not the type of company that would implement crossplay regardless of the situation? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

d21lewis said:

Educate me. What F2P game is free on PS4 and not  free  onXbox One?

All of them.  For example, I cannot play Fortnite unless I have XBL on my X1.

However I can play it on my PS4 WITHOUT having PS Plus.  I found this out when I tried to play it on my X1 with my stepson while I did not have XBL...could not play.  I have been playing on PS4 for weeks however without a plus membership.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261