By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why console crossplay will mean nothing in the long run

Shiken said:

Do I like it?  No, of course not.  But lets stop the BD about how it will turn people away from the PS5, because lets be real, unless Nintendo puts out a console that can contend power wise, it is a non factor.

Thoughts?

Are you trying to say that Crossplay wont affect the sales of the console? Because if it wont affect it, why does Sony not wanting to implement Crossplay? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Shiken said:

This is true, however that will likely be further into the lifeapan of the PS5 and X(2).  If they follow the business model for Switch, which makes sense, and release a Switch 2, it will likely have a similar power gap with the other two that we see today.  Also by then, the PS5 would likely have a commanding lead to where the damage will have already been done, unless Sony drops the ball elsewhere that is.

Now if Nintendo were to get into the market of launching beefed up consoles, which likely will not happen, but IF they do...things could be a little different.  However it would still result in them needing to launch it closer to the PS5 rather than later to make the biggest impact.  If they did this, I could see Switch becoming a handheld that can be connected to the TV and officially replacing the 3DS, which would keep them from shutting out millions of Switch owners early.

Now if this happens...well then things get interesting as we would now have a 3rd beefy console for MS to crossplay with.  However based on Nintendo's history and how this requires a number of factors to line up...it is still possible...but highly unlikely.

The power gap between Switch and PS4/X1 hasn't stopped games like Doom 2016 from showing up on the Switch. That's the thing about software: it can be scaled.

pokoko said:

I don't care about the first one at all.

I get that you don't but surely other people do.

pokoko said:

As for the rest, I'd like to read about it at the source, if you don't mind.  Which Xbox/Switch crossplay games are you drawing this information from?  What are the actual numbers?  Seconds?  Minutes?  How is that being measured?

I think it stands to reason: I expect a multiplayer game to benefit from a high player count since this increases the chance that there are players near you to play with as well as more people interested in playing whatever mode you are interested in. I'd also expect a matchmaking algorithm to discriminate based on connection quality and with more players to choose from, there should be less chance an algorithm end up having to pick poorer connections for the sake of starting a game.

Well it did stop the sequel to DOOM 2016, Call of Duty BO4, Red Dead Redemption 2, Anthem, Fallout 76, etc from coming to it.

Just because something CAN be scaled does not mean developers WILL scale it.  We have received nothing to make us think that these games will come to the Switch, even as late ports.  I hope they all do, but you and I both know that is not going to happen.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Jranation said:
Shiken said:

Do I like it?  No, of course not.  But lets stop the BD about how it will turn people away from the PS5, because lets be real, unless Nintendo puts out a console that can contend power wise, it is a non factor.

Thoughts?

Are you trying to say that Crossplay wont affect the sales of the console? Because if it wont affect it, why does Sony not wanting to implement Crossplay? 

I am saying that not having crossplay would not affect sales of the PS5 for the reasons I have listed throughout this discussion, despite what some people might believe.

Shiken said:
KLAMarine said:

The power gap between Switch and PS4/X1 hasn't stopped games like Doom 2016 from showing up on the Switch. That's the thing about software: it can be scaled.

I get that you don't but surely other people do.

I think it stands to reason: I expect a multiplayer game to benefit from a high player count since this increases the chance that there are players near you to play with as well as more people interested in playing whatever mode you are interested in. I'd also expect a matchmaking algorithm to discriminate based on connection quality and with more players to choose from, there should be less chance an algorithm end up having to pick poorer connections for the sake of starting a game.

Well it did stop the sequel to DOOM 2016, Call of Duty BO4, Red Dead Redemption 2, Anthem, Fallout 76, etc from coming to it.

Just because something CAN be scaled does not mean developers WILL scale it.  We have received nothing to make us think that these games will come to the Switch, even as late ports.  I hope they all do, but you and I both know that is not going to happen.

Are we saying these games have not come to the Switch due to the power gap and not some other reason?

sergiodaly said:
KLXVER said:

Do you have to do something? You got offended...so what?

read the bold... that was a example of a rule break... if others break the rules where do we complain? how do we deal with bad people that is from another platform? i don't get offended by anything a anonymous say about me online... but rules are there and that is one rule that can be broken and if i'm going to let my son play online i have to know how do i deal with rule breaking people... that simple... the fact that you didn't get that tell's me that this reply is kind of worthless but i'm hopeful today, so here it is...

What is the rule about being offensive exactly? I mean some people would be offended by someone saying "girls rule" or "guys rule". What are we gonna do?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Shiken said:

Are we saying these games have not come to the Switch due to the power gap and not some other reason?

If a developer does not port a game to a platform that is far less powerful, it is likely that they feel it is not worth the effort to do so regardless of scalability.  Not having the new DOOM screams this...

KLXVER said:
sergiodaly said:

read the bold... that was a example of a rule break... if others break the rules where do we complain? how do we deal with bad people that is from another platform? i don't get offended by anything a anonymous say about me online... but rules are there and that is one rule that can be broken and if i'm going to let my son play online i have to know how do i deal with rule breaking people... that simple... the fact that you didn't get that tell's me that this reply is kind of worthless but i'm hopeful today, so here it is...

What is the rule about being offensive exactly? I mean some people would be offended by someone saying "girls rule" or "guys rule". What are we gonna do?

i knew i was wasting my words... lost my hope and now i'm sad, i will lower my standards but ok here we go...

"deeeeep breath, counts to 10 slowly, deep breath again" ok... forget the verbal offence... some other F'ing rule... some one from other platform break it, how do we deal with it?

sorry dude, can't put it more clear and simple... if you don't understand this, can't help you any further...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

sergiodaly said:
KLXVER said:

i knew i was wasting my words... lost my hope and now i'm sad, i will lower my standards but ok here we go...

"deeeeep breath, counts to 10 slowly, deep breath again" ok... forget the verbal offence... some other F'ing rule... some one from other platform break it, how do we deal with it?

sorry dude, can't put it more clear and simple... if you don't understand this, can't help you any further...

You do the same thing you would do if it wasn't a cross platform game. You report the user to whoever the owner of the platform you play on is and they will tell the other platform owner about it. Im a genius I know. No need to thank me.

I think crossplay is just marketing BS. Honestly, what difference does it make?

jardesonbarbosa said:
I think crossplay is just marketing BS. Honestly, what difference does it make?

Well if a game sells poorly on the system you own and is popular on another, you can still enjoy it online with many others. That could be a plus.