By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Update: LucasFilm denies report | Report: Future Star Wars standalone movies on hold at LucasFilm

Good for them.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Since Luke is dead, there is nothing to care about anymore so i was out at that point. Rian Johnson tanked any potential the new trilogy had so i'm done.

Star Wars is dead. Long live the force.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Put the new trilogy on hold too. Better yet, make a short film of Luke waking up from a nightmare (VII, VIII) walking outside to the balcony, coruscant scenery, and greeting Leia and Han and the rest. The end. Move on.

Obiwan will still probably be made. They know there's a huge call for it from all corners of the fanbase.

Boba, hopefully, remains cancelled. If there's anything Boba, make it a TV show about bounty hunters and the shit they get up to with Fett being the focus of a few episodes. They're really missing the market for an adult TV show. Star Wars done right would blow everything away.

Anyway this is good news. There's clearly problems in production. Get your shit fixed before you cause further damage.

Good. Don't need 75 Star Wars films.

Around the Network

Wow, I had no idea how not far along the Obi Wan movie actually was. I thought this was an actual trailer back when I saw it (not knowing anything about Ewan McGregor appearing in a biblical film that most of this footage was taken from):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22cdBDK-8hk

I expect IX to underperform, it will make money, but under expectations.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Soundwave said:
thismeintiel said:

It is fatigue, but not SW fatigue. No, it's bad/mediocre SW fatigue. If the film's had actually been good/great, no one would be complaining about 1 SW every year. Hell, Marvel put out 3 and they all saw/will see success. 1 a year isn't going to kill a brand. 1 a year of divisive garbage, that the movie company defends by name calling dissenters, will. 

It's cute when Star Wars fans think Star Wars is automatically equivalent to Marvel. 

It's not. Marvel has 70+ year of established *stories* and fully fleshed out characters with real character arcs and thousands of established plots (like say the Infinity Gauntlet which was written 25 years+ ago) set in "anything goes" universe that can go into dozens of different genres, sci-fi, action, magic, urban heroes, literal kings/queens, horror, hell Marvel can have dinosaurs too. 

Star Wars is a bunch of boring celibate monks who's personality is mainly their lightsaber (oooooh purple lightsaber! what an awesome character!), smugglers, or Sith. 

Remove Harrison Ford from Star Wars and it gets exposed for being very dull because no one else is remotely relatable in those movies. Starlord, Thor, Peter Parker, Tony Stark, even Deadpool all these characters have tons of personality, flaws, character arcs ... Boba Fett? Fuck outta here with that, that's an action figure with a neat looking mask and nothing more, that's supposed to carry an entire fucking movie?

Nothing else is Marvel (as DC is finding out). Star Wars is more like Jurassic Park or Lord of the Rings if you made a yearly movie with unconnected side films for those, by year 3/4 you would start to see franchise fatigue unless you have an epic story conclusion going on. But if LOTR did shit like Fellowship (2001), The Dwarves Rebellion (2002), The Two Towers (2003), Legolas: The College Years (2004), Return of the King Part I (2005), Gimli: The Movie (2006), Return of the King Part II (2007) ... people would be tired of that shit by 2004. 

Its also cute when you just go venting without having a decent argument.

The publishing of star wars stories and lore started 42 years ago.

It has a massive universe and tons of fleshed out characters and its not difficult to do that research before you go assuming in your post, same goes for Tolkiens Middle earth universe that is even bigger and is in my opinion a lot deeper in lore than Marvel's but to each their own of course .

Immersiveunreality said:
Soundwave said:

It's cute when Star Wars fans think Star Wars is automatically equivalent to Marvel. 

It's not. Marvel has 70+ year of established *stories* and fully fleshed out characters with real character arcs and thousands of established plots (like say the Infinity Gauntlet which was written 25 years+ ago) set in "anything goes" universe that can go into dozens of different genres, sci-fi, action, magic, urban heroes, literal kings/queens, horror, hell Marvel can have dinosaurs too. 

Star Wars is a bunch of boring celibate monks who's personality is mainly their lightsaber (oooooh purple lightsaber! what an awesome character!), smugglers, or Sith. 

Remove Harrison Ford from Star Wars and it gets exposed for being very dull because no one else is remotely relatable in those movies. Starlord, Thor, Peter Parker, Tony Stark, even Deadpool all these characters have tons of personality, flaws, character arcs ... Boba Fett? Fuck outta here with that, that's an action figure with a neat looking mask and nothing more, that's supposed to carry an entire fucking movie?

Nothing else is Marvel (as DC is finding out). Star Wars is more like Jurassic Park or Lord of the Rings if you made a yearly movie with unconnected side films for those, by year 3/4 you would start to see franchise fatigue unless you have an epic story conclusion going on. But if LOTR did shit like Fellowship (2001), The Dwarves Rebellion (2002), The Two Towers (2003), Legolas: The College Years (2004), Return of the King Part I (2005), Gimli: The Movie (2006), Return of the King Part II (2007) ... people would be tired of that shit by 2004. 

Its also cute when you just go venting without having a decent argument.

The publishing of star wars stories and lore started 42 years ago.

It has a massive universe and tons of fleshed out characters and its not difficult to do that research before you go assuming in your post, same goes for Tolkiens Middle earth universe that is even bigger and is in my opinion a lot deeper in lore than Marvel's but to each their own of course .

"Lore depth" is garbage nerds argue about on the internet. 

Which characters in Star Wars actually have a PERSONALITY that can carry an entire 2 hour film? You don't have to be a nerd to "get" Tony Stark or Peter Parker or even Thor or Starlord or Deadpool or get T'Challa's relationship with his late father and kid sister. That stuff is all very universal. 

They are funny, flawed, have clear character arcs they have to go through, and they are immediately human, Boba fucking Fett is not. Obi Wan is an asexual hermit monk ... this stuff Star Wars fans are oblivious to, they think a great character is having a lightsaber or a cool helmet.

Marvel has always excelled even compared to DC at having relatable characters, that's always been their calling card. It's not a coincidence that the 4 Star Wars films that are universally loved pretty much all have Harrison Ford ... he's the only character/actor in the films that actually feels like a real person. Remove him and the franchise loses its beating heart and lightsabers become the second most interesting thing left in the films. 

Marvel can also cross genres, Star Wars really cannot either. You can't have yearly Star Wars films without fatigue ditto for Jurassic Park or Tolkien or Fast & Furious or really most franchises. You need at least a 18 month gap, more ideally 24 months, even more ideal 3 full years. Marvel is a rare exception, not the rule, people don't want yearly instalments of anything unless there is a strong logical reason for there to be a new movie every year (ie: Harry Potter being structured as a story from day 1 that follows Harry through successive school years). Otherwise people just eventually say "you know what, they're clearly just milking this now, I've had my fill of dinosaurs or lightsabers or hobbits so I'm going to skip this next one". 

User was banned for this post ~ Angelus 

Last edited by Angelus - on 21 June 2018

shikamaru317 said:

What awful news. Solo flopped because fans boycotted it because they didn't like Rian Johnson's episode 8, so they go and cancel the future spinoffs like Obi-Wan and Boba Fett that the fans actually wanted instead of cancelling Rian Johnson's upcoming trilogy?  Somebody please get rid of Kathleen Kennedy, she has no clue what she is doing.

1. You're giving too much credit to the boycott.

2. Kathleen Kennedy did nothing wrong. There, I said it.