By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Update: LucasFilm denies report | Report: Future Star Wars standalone movies on hold at LucasFilm

thismeintiel said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Fatigue is definitely part of the decline, but I would add that I think it's the perfect storm of factors. The fact that there's a Star Wars movie every year cheapens the brand and tempers excitement and hype, but I think it's also the dumbing down of the story, shoddy 1-dimensional world building, lack of character development and personalities, and the blatant shoving of social justice and identity politics down people's throats, along with head scratching "causes" that plain don't belong in Star Wars movies like lame animal rights stuff. It's like an elementary school student's understanding of governments, society, and politics..

But it's also the story breaking its own rules and ceasing to make any sense within its own universe, pissing on the lore, and watering down the concept of Jedi and the force even more than Lucas' stupid midiclorian bs ever did. It's just become another Marvel universe where "anyone and everyone can just have unlimited force powers.. just because! Screw the Jedi stuff. Screw the Sith. Screw good and evil.." So what's left? More lame super hero garbage people have seen a million times. Star Wars was never really meant to be cookie cutter super or action hero movies. To me it was more a retelling of classical mythology, epic tales, and fantasy in space. Some of the stuff was even biblical in nature. There were far more complexities to it than people realize, yet it was also a clear cut tale of morality and good vs evil. I recognize very few of these traits now.

It is fatigue, but not SW fatigue. No, it's bad/mediocre SW fatigue. If the film's had actually been good/great, no one would be complaining about 1 SW every year. Hell, Marvel put out 3 and they all saw/will see success. 1 a year isn't going to kill a brand. 1 a year of divisive garbage, that the movie company defends by name calling dissenters, will. 

It's cute when Star Wars fans think Star Wars is automatically equivalent to Marvel. 

It's not. Marvel has 70+ year of established *stories* and fully fleshed out characters with real character arcs and thousands of established plots (like say the Infinity Gauntlet which was written 25 years+ ago) set in "anything goes" universe that can go into dozens of different genres, sci-fi, action, magic, urban heroes, literal kings/queens, horror, hell Marvel can have dinosaurs too. 

Star Wars is a bunch of boring celibate monks who's personality is mainly their lightsaber (oooooh purple lightsaber! what an awesome character!), smugglers, or Sith. 

Remove Harrison Ford from Star Wars and it gets exposed for being very dull because no one else is remotely relatable in those movies. Starlord, Thor, Peter Parker, Tony Stark, even Deadpool all these characters have tons of personality, flaws, character arcs ... Boba Fett? Fuck outta here with that, that's an action figure with a neat looking mask and nothing more, that's supposed to carry an entire fucking movie?

Nothing else is Marvel (as DC is finding out). Star Wars is more like Jurassic Park or Lord of the Rings if you made a yearly movie with unconnected side films for those, by year 3/4 you would start to see franchise fatigue unless you have an epic story conclusion going on. But if LOTR did shit like Fellowship (2001), The Dwarves Rebellion (2002), The Two Towers (2003), Legolas: The College Years (2004), Return of the King Part I (2005), Gimli: The Movie (2006), Return of the King Part II (2007) ... people would be tired of that shit by 2004. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 20 June 2018

Around the Network

I would have liked to see Obi-Wan on screen again, but I'm glad they're slowing their approach. They should be giving at least a year off between films whether spin-offs are tucked in or not. Three years between movies with the first two trilogies gave us enough time to really froth at the mouth.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

StuOhQ said:
I would have liked to see Obi-Wan on screen again, but I'm glad they're slowing their approach. They should be giving at least a year off between films whether spin-offs are tucked in or not. Three years between movies with the first two trilogies gave us enough time to really froth at the mouth.

There's no question the original trilogy and especially the prequels benefitted from full 3 year gaps between films, if you even cut that down to 2 year gaps like the current trilogy has, you would probably lose a fair chunk of box office, let alone 2 year gaps + unrelated "side movies" every other year on top of that. 

TFA and TPM also benefitted massively from long gaps between releases of films that drove artificial hype than it would normally be. 

Anyone who can't admit that is just flat out lying to themselves. 

Only spin-off movie we need is Old Republic, Ahsoka or Obi-Wan.

well...we’re not exactly living in a world where there’s a shortage of block buster nerd franchises (which is probably part of the problem)... I liked solo and thought the fans ironically picked the wrong movie to boycott (although I’m sure that only played a small part in the films demise as most people I know didn’t even seem to know it even existed amongst all the other block busters out recently) ....having said that I could take it or leave it. Ive grown up with Star Wars saw the originals at the cinema (yeah I’m that old) and feel like I’ve experience the best the series had to offer when it was actually relevant.
This story (of Disney cutting back on sw movies) btw isn’t concrete fact by any means and I’m not entirely convinced they’re abandoning their plans over one movie though I’m sure they have to make it appear that they’re changing their strategy. They’ll probably still make the spin offs but ditch the ‘Star Wars story’ branding or something stupid like that lol

Around the Network

Solo and rogue one best sw films in years. Boba feet would have been epic. Sw hard-core fans get your act together.

Kerotan said:
Solo and rogue one best sw films in years. Boba feet would have been epic. Sw hard-core fans get your act together.

That's really not saying much though is it? 

I've gone to each sw movie now on launch day and they have gone from bad to worse imo.

Won't be going to ep 9 in the cinema after the insisted release of this mess

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Disappointing to hear that since I liked both Rogue One and Solo quite a bit more than both Episode VII and Episode VIII. Oh well. At least I have my plethora of Star Wars now-canonical books.

Mmm, I actually liked the spinoffs better than the main episodes. Went to see Solo for the second time yesterday, and while some of the droids remarks annoyed me a tiny bit more than they did the first time it’s still a very decent movie. The Boba Fett one needs to happen because I assume that would basically be a sequel to this one, which it needs.

I don't care anymore since it's all just soulless SJW garbage and a brainwash tool for multiculturalism after Disney aquired Star Wars.