By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Update: LucasFilm denies report | Report: Future Star Wars standalone movies on hold at LucasFilm

TruckOSaurus said:
They're gonna suck the life out of the Star Wars franchise until nobody gives a fuck anymore kinda like Activision did with Guitar Hero.

scary how accurate this is already

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
melbye said:
Merely putting movies on hold isn't going to fix anything, there are fundamental failures of leadership that need to be addressed.

They're just going to have JJ Abrams make a very safe, happy ending Episode IX, cut out the side-stories to keep the brand fresher. 

Star Wars is not Marvel, it doesn't have the depth of characters, plot lines, or different genres it can work with, doing yearly Star Wars movies was always a stupid idea, just like yearly Jurassic Park movies would not work, by about the third year in a row of that you would be in big trouble. 

Except for the fact that we are literally in the exact same position that we were in after Episode VII, and it's even worse now that Luke is dead.

Nothing they could do would come off as coherent from the previous episode. It would take in-film years, if not decades, for the rebels to even build up a decent defense against the empire, even with Super Sue.  If they do what they did and start the film right where the last one ended like they did in TLJ, there is no way that Ben Swolo and his empire would lose (unless inexplicable bullshit occurs, which wouldn't surprise me with the current trend of this reboot). Episode IX has at least a 90% chance of sucking, because there are no current stakes to give a damn about.

As much as I like the new movies (i know, sue me) this is good news, no need to oversaturate the market with spinoff star wars.

I make game analyses on youtube:

FFVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSO6n8kNCwk
Shadow of the Colossus: https://youtu.be/9kDBFGw6SXQ
Silent Hill 2: https://youtu.be/BwISCik3Njc
BotW: https://youtu.be/4auqRSAWYKU

shikamaru317 said:
Soundwave said:

I called this several weeks ago. Obi-Wan and Boba Fett films were gonna get frozen by Disney after Solo. Looks like Episode IX, Rian Johnson's standalone trilogy, and the Game Of Thrones showrunner's films are going to be the focus. 

The hilarious part is the "boycotting fanboys" basically played themselves because they would've been likely the lead audience for both of these, lol. Now you don't get your fanboy dream Obi-Wan Ewan McGregor movie. 

Yeah, it really annoys me that they thought that boycotting Solo would show Disney that we don't want more movies like episode 8. Episode 8 production crew was almost entirely different from the Solo production crew, so all boycotting Solo did was get future standalones cancelled. If they wanted the Rian trilogy cancelled, like I do, they should have boycotted episode 9 instead. Now we get the Rian trilogy that nobody wants and none of the standalones that we did actually want like Ob-Wan, Boba, and Maul. *sigh*

It's meant more to give a vibe that they don't care for Kennedy. Even if it cancels the side Obi and Boba films, I would rather get a new head for a proper mainline trilogy then slightly average side films and a shitty mainline trilogy.

They still need to chill out and make it once every 4 years or so, but they are looking to strike the iron while it's still hot, which is gonna bite them in the rear.

Star wars flopping is awesome. Hopefully the franchise will continue its decline and sooner or later become irrelevant.

Around the Network
TH3-D0S3R said:
Soundwave said:

They're just going to have JJ Abrams make a very safe, happy ending Episode IX, cut out the side-stories to keep the brand fresher. 

Star Wars is not Marvel, it doesn't have the depth of characters, plot lines, or different genres it can work with, doing yearly Star Wars movies was always a stupid idea, just like yearly Jurassic Park movies would not work, by about the third year in a row of that you would be in big trouble. 

Except for the fact that we are literally in the exact same position that we were in after Episode VII, and it's even worse now that Luke is dead.

Nothing they could do would come off as coherent from the previous episode. It would take in-film years, if not decades, for the rebels to even build up a decent defense against the empire, even with Super Sue.  If they do what they did and start the film right where the last one ended like they did in TLJ, there is no way that Ben Swolo and his empire would lose (unless inexplicable bullshit occurs, which wouldn't surprise me with the current trend of this reboot). Episode IX has at least a 90% chance of sucking, because there are no current stakes to give a damn about.

Luke was always going to "die" in this trilogy just like Obi-Wan and Yoda both bite it in the OT. 

"Star Wars" time is loosey goosey anyway, Luke becomes a full green light saber wielding Jedi master in basically three years when Obi-Wan went years without getting a green saber, Episode IX beginning with a crawl of "Five years have passed, the spark of the Resistance has spread and the galaxy is locked in a tense epic galactic war that rages on multiple fronts" works fine. 

bananaking21 said:
Star wars flopping is awesome. Hopefully the franchise will continue its decline and sooner or later become irrelevant.

All hail the rightful box office KING

Bow down nerds. 

User was moderated for this, and similar posts across multiple threads ~ Angelus 

Last edited by Angelus - on 21 June 2018

shikamaru317 said:
Soundwave said:

All hail the rightful box office KING

Bow down nerds. 

Ugh, just don't even go there. Avatar was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen, and Titanic was only ok. 

Both are better than any Star Wars film since 1983. Cameron is a better director than Lucas or JJ Abrams flat out. 

Oh, man.  LOL.  This is hilarious. Even more hilarious is that they are still trying to cover up for this bomb of a film.  "Solo did fine by blockbuster standards."  Seriously? 

No, no it did not.  Even if the production and marketing budget was $190M, it would still be a flop, as it would only just break even (if Solo even hits $380M WW.)  The budget would have to have been $100M for this to be seen as any kind of success.  Even then, this is freaking SW.  Once the largest movie franchise in history.  Even its spin off made $1B+.  Even the worse received movie in its history, before TLJ, made ~$1B.  Now, thanks to Lucasfilm's insistence on shitting on the franchise with its vision of the future, which includes SJW messaging and bashing any fans that disagree with them, they have definitely hurt the franchise for the foreseeable future.  Ticket sales are down.  Merch sales are down.  Many fans have just walked away from the franchise.

You want to save the franchise so you keep making money, Disney?  Here's what you do.  Keep TFA.  Remake TLJ with someone who actually likes the franchise.  You don't have to entertain every fan theory out there, but there are some that would be very interesting, and would 100% make a much more enjoyable film than TLJ.  Actually address questions raised by TFA.  Have MaRey Sue actually train so she isn't MaRey Sue anymore.  Most importantly, quit with the SJW messaging and bashing fans with criticisms.  SW is for everyone.  Not some elite snobs who think that their political beliefs are the only right ones and should therefore be pushed with SW, either on film or through social media.

Soundwave said:

I called this several weeks ago. Obi-Wan and Boba Fett films were gonna get frozen by Disney after Solo. Looks like Episode IX, Rian Johnson's standalone trilogy, and the Game Of Thrones showrunner's films are going to be the focus. 

The hilarious part is the "boycotting fanboys" basically played themselves because they would've been likely the lead audience for both of these, lol. Now you don't get your fanboy dream Obi-Wan Ewan McGregor movie. 

That's funny.  Just a couple months ago you were talking about the "horrible" fanbase and how those who were boycotting had no power.  Hmmm. 

And we'll just watch as the main installments disappoint, as well.  Also, no one would care about the Obi Wan film under the direction Lucasfilm is going, now.  It would probably just be another mediocre film that flops.  We want change in Lucasfilm, and if things keep going this way, we will be getting it.