By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Update: LucasFilm denies report | Report: Future Star Wars standalone movies on hold at LucasFilm

The big problem is that they are pumping out a Star wars movie every.Single.Year.

Im not speaking about the quality of the film themselves, thats another discussion entirely, but this yearly release is also hurting the sales.They need to take more time to make the films so that they have a film qith better quality and make fans and casuals long for Star Wars a bit.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Soundwave said:

I called this several weeks ago. Obi-Wan and Boba Fett films were gonna get frozen by Disney after Solo. Looks like Episode IX, Rian Johnson's standalone trilogy, and the Game Of Thrones showrunner's films are going to be the focus. 

The hilarious part is the "boycotting fanboys" basically played themselves because they would've been likely the lead audience for both of these, lol. Now you don't get your fanboy dream Obi-Wan Ewan McGregor movie. 

That's funny.  Just a couple months ago you were talking about the "horrible" fanbase and how those who were boycotting had no power.  Hmmm. 

And we'll just watch as the main installments disappoint, as well.  Also, no one would care about the Obi Wan film under the direction Lucasfilm is going, now.  It would probably just be another mediocre film that flops.  We want change in Lucasfilm, and if things keep going this way, we will be getting it.

lol you're not going to get shit. In five years you'll be sitting on this board complaining that Star Wars still isn't a white sausage party.

Well that's a good start, but at this point I kind of just wish they'd kill the whole franchise. It's been cheapened, dumbed down, and diluted to the point where it's barely recognizable, and the attributes that made the OT great are all but absent. Put this poor beaten down abused franchise to rest Disney! (Of course they won't though because even though numbers are dramatically down, it's still overall a cash cow, and they intend on milking it drink until the cow is dead and rotten).

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

shikamaru317 said:
Soundwave said:

Both are better than any Star Wars film since 1983. Cameron is a better director than Lucas or JJ Abrams flat out. 

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I'd 10 times rather watch any Star Wars movie again than watch Avatar again. It was so boring I fell asleep in the movie theater at one point, only time that has ever happened.

Cameron is a good director, but is very unoriginal.  He really hasn't written anything good since Terminator 2.  And his biggest box office successes have more to do with luck than his films.  Titanic came at the height of Leonardo DiCaprio fever, so teenage girls were seeing the film over and over.  I wouldn't say it's a bad film, but I haven't felt the need to watch it in more than a decade.  I would have personally preferred something based on fact concerning that tragedy, not a fake love story. 

As for Avatar, it was all the 3D hype surrounding the film, not the film itself, that made it a big hit.  That and the newly emerging Chinese market was thirsty for any big spectacle film.  If that film launched today, when there is no 3D hype and the Chinese are more selective, it would probably have done half of its original take.  I mean, it really left no impact on society.  No one knows the characters names, except maybe the general name of the aliens, Navi.  There are no memorable lines from that film, either.  I have yet to see a kid dress up as a Navi for Halloween.  I think it's funny that Cameron thinks he can finish out his days making umpteen sequels to such a forgettable film, as if it will be his SW.  Especially when said sequel is 10 years too late.  Avatar 2 probably won't hit $1.4B, half of the original.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 20 June 2018

I'm thinking that the real problem here is Star Wars fatigue. My family made a big event out of the 2015 movie. We carried that over into Rogue One in 2016. Some of us opted not to join the family Star Wars viewing in 2018. And, Solo only got a 30 second conversation among the family, which resulted in us deciding that there wasn't enough interest to worry about getting everyone together. So, at least in our case, it seems to just be a decline in interest as we get hit with movies every year (or, 7 months in this last case).

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Soundwave said:

All hail the rightful box office KING

Bow down nerds. 

Ugh, just don't even go there. Avatar was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen, and Titanic was only ok. 

Atleast titanic had boobs. 

And avatar has bluewbs. 

VAMatt said:
I'm thinking that the real problem here is Star Wars fatigue. My family made a big event out of the 2015 movie. We carried that over into Rogue One in 2016. Some of us opted not to join the family Star Wars viewing in 2018. And, Solo only got a 30 second conversation among the family, which resulted in us deciding that there wasn't enough interest to worry about getting everyone together. So, at least in our case, it seems to just be a decline in interest as we get hit with movies every year (or, 7 months in this last case).

Fatigue is definitely part of the decline, but I would add that I think it's the perfect storm of factors. The fact that there's a Star Wars movie every year cheapens the brand and tempers excitement and hype, but I think it's also the dumbing down of the story, shoddy 1-dimensional world building, lack of character development and personalities, and the blatant shoving of social justice and identity politics down people's throats, along with head scratching "causes" that plain don't belong in Star Wars movies like lame animal rights stuff. It's like an elementary school student's understanding of governments, society, and politics..

But it's also the story breaking its own rules and ceasing to make any sense within its own universe, pissing on the lore, and watering down the concept of Jedi and the force even more than Lucas' stupid midiclorian bs ever did. It's just become another Marvel universe where "anyone and everyone can just have unlimited force powers.. just because! Screw the Jedi stuff. Screw the Sith. Screw good and evil.." So what's left? More lame super hero garbage people have seen a million times. Star Wars was never really meant to be cookie cutter super or action hero movies. To me it was more a retelling of classical mythology, epic tales, and fantasy in space. Some of the stuff was even biblical in nature. There were far more complexities to it than people realize, yet it was also a clear cut tale of morality and good vs evil. I recognize very few of these traits now.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Congratulations, Disney, Kathleen, JJ, Rian. What a big, honking mess. This is peanut butter and jelly sandwich territory. You shouldn't be able to fuck it up. But they did.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

DarthMetalliCube said:
VAMatt said:

Fatigue is definitely part of the decline, but I would add that I think it's the perfect storm of factors. The fact that there's a Star Wars movie every year cheapens the brand and tempers excitement and hype, but I think it's also the dumbing down of the story, shoddy 1-dimensional world building, lack of character development and personalities, and the blatant shoving of social justice and identity politics down people's throats, along with head scratching "causes" that plain don't belong in Star Wars movies like lame animal rights stuff. It's like an elementary school student's understanding of governments, society, and politics..

But it's also the story breaking its own rules and ceasing to make any sense within its own universe, pissing on the lore, and watering down the concept of Jedi and the force even more than Lucas' stupid midiclorian bs ever did. It's just become another Marvel universe where "anyone and everyone can just have unlimited force powers.. just because! Screw the Jedi stuff. Screw the Sith. Screw good and evil.." So what's left? More lame super hero garbage people have seen a million times. Star Wars was never really meant to be cookie cutter super or action hero movies. To me it was more a retelling of classical mythology, epic tales, and fantasy in space. Some of the stuff was even biblical in nature. There were far more complexities to it than people realize, yet it was also a clear cut tale of morality and good vs evil. I recognize very few of these traits now.

It is fatigue, but not SW fatigue. No, it's bad/mediocre SW fatigue. If the film's had actually been good/great, no one would be complaining about 1 SW every year. Hell, Marvel put out 3 and they all saw/will see success. 1 a year isn't going to kill a brand. 1 a year of divisive garbage, that the movie company defends by name calling dissenters, will. 

A warranted development.