By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Update: LucasFilm denies report | Report: Future Star Wars standalone movies on hold at LucasFilm

lol like the problem is with the standalones. They are the consequence, not the cause.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
TruckOSaurus said:
They're gonna suck the life out of the Star Wars franchise until nobody gives a fuck anymore kinda like Activision did with Guitar Hero.

Knowing evil/monopolistic compagny tendancies, yup.

Yea, constantly we see the evils of Monopolies. SO much bad stuff happens to us consumers when something gets too big or powerful, yet constantly we are cheering them on to become monopolies. Look at Sony and Disney right now. You have people wanting there to only be one console and Sony to rule the gaming world and you have people wanting Dinsey to buy every franchise imaginable.

Idiots.

mushroomboy5 said:
well...we’re not exactly living in a world where there’s a shortage of block buster nerd franchises (which is probably part of the problem)... I liked solo and thought the fans ironically picked the wrong movie to boycott (although I’m sure that only played a small part in the films demise as most people I know didn’t even seem to know it even existed amongst all the other block busters out recently) ....having said that I could take it or leave it. Ive grown up with Star Wars saw the originals at the cinema (yeah I’m that old) and feel like I’ve experience the best the series had to offer when it was actually relevant.
This story (of Disney cutting back on sw movies) btw isn’t concrete fact by any means and I’m not entirely convinced they’re abandoning their plans over one movie though I’m sure they have to make it appear that they’re changing their strategy. They’ll probably still make the spin offs but ditch the ‘Star Wars story’ branding or something stupid like that lol

I'm kind of excited for the DCEU at the moment future. It seems we got the boycott right for Justice League. That movie tanked in box office and on home media sales. Say what you want about any of the prior movies, you can't argue that DC fan spoke when every DCEU movie outsold freaking Justice League in theaters and on home media. And that was fans. The movie did better rotten tomatoe than some of the others, so critics like it some. But it's the fans not going to the movie 100 times (saw some article about someone going to infinity war 100 times) and not telling everyone they see to go to the movie. Not dragging others to the movie, ect.

Not to mention all the talk even to this day about a possible Snyder cut. Pretty sure there is more article about the Snyder cut than the actual movie.

And fans are excited about the new Aquaman, Shazaam and Wonder Woman movie, because it appears that the excecs have kept their hands off of those projects.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Since Luke is dead, there is nothing to care about anymore so i was out at that point. Rian Johnson tanked any potential the new trilogy had so i'm done.

Star Wars is dead. Long live the force.

Yea killing Luke was a big mistake, cause then it's like a copy of the first trilogy where they kill Obi-Wan and make him a ghost mentor.

But beyond that, they ruined his character before his death. Some argue his last act was the Luke we know again, but no true fan believes that Luke would do what he did by hiding the last 10 years.

Soundwave said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Its also cute when you just go venting without having a decent argument.

The publishing of star wars stories and lore started 42 years ago.

It has a massive universe and tons of fleshed out characters and its not difficult to do that research before you go assuming in your post, same goes for Tolkiens Middle earth universe that is even bigger and is in my opinion a lot deeper in lore than Marvel's but to each their own of course .

"Lore depth" is garbage nerds argue about on the internet. 

Which characters in Star Wars actually have a PERSONALITY that can carry an entire 2 hour film? You don't have to be a nerd to "get" Tony Stark or Peter Parker or even Thor or Starlord or Deadpool or get T'Challa's relationship with his late father and kid sister. That stuff is all very universal. 

They are funny, flawed, have clear character arcs they have to go through, and they are immediately human, Boba fucking Fett is not. Obi Wan is an asexual hermit monk ... this stuff Star Wars fans are oblivious to, they think a great character is having a lightsaber or a cool helmet.

Marvel has always excelled even compared to DC at having relatable characters, that's always been their calling card. It's not a coincidence that the 4 Star Wars films that are universally loved pretty much all have Harrison Ford ... he's the only character/actor in the films that actually feels like a real person. Remove him and the franchise loses its beating heart and lightsabers become the second most interesting thing left in the films. 

Marvel can also cross genres, Star Wars really cannot either. You can't have yearly Star Wars films without fatigue ditto for Jurassic Park or Tolkien or Fast & Furious or really most franchises. You need at least a 18 month gap, more ideally 24 months, even more ideal 3 full years. Marvel is a rare exception, not the rule, people don't want yearly instalments of anything unless there is a strong logical reason for there to be a new movie every year (ie: Harry Potter being structured as a story from day 1 that follows Harry through successive school years). Otherwise people just eventually say "you know what, they're clearly just milking this now, I've had my fill of dinosaurs or lightsabers or hobbits so I'm going to skip this next one". 

You do realize the reason that Marvel has a better chance of succeeding over properties like Star Wars/Trek, DC and other huge properties is because for the most part their entire cast is C list heroes.

You make a film with like Superman or Luke Skywalker, you have an insane huge population that has their preconceived notion of how the movie should be, how the character should act, ect. You deviate at all from that, or don't make their perfect vision, they will toss you nail you to the stake.

Most characters in Marvel are more of acquaintances to them, or unknown. Thus their entire knowledge of said character is from the movies. You can't ruin a character of theirs if they don't know them. Marvel's big guns like Spiderman, does run into that problem though.

There was a Goldberg's episode that dealt with them going to the new batman movies that came out with Keaton. The kid loved it. The grandpa hated it, cause it was not his batman. (West) Marvel as I said, beyond X-Men and Spiderman is new to TV/Movies. They don't have to worry about 95% of the populations opinions on their characters. They have a clean slate to make a character however they want.

shikamaru317 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

1. You're giving too much credit to the boycott.

2. Kathleen Kennedy did nothing wrong. There, I said it.

The boycott wasn't the only factor obviously, the high budget due to the director change, poor release window too close to Avengers and Deadpool, as well as fatigue from releasing just 6 months after Episode 8 were all factors as well, but the boycott is definitely a factor for sure.

KK is absolutely responsible for the problems currently facing Star Wars. 

1. She tried to forced too much diversity into a series known for primarily white male leads, which caused some backlash (justified or not).

2. She allowed Rey to be designed as an overpowered Mary Sue character because she wanted Rey to be a feminist role model, because in KK's eyes "the force is female". Rey being a Mary Sue is one of the most hated things about the new trilogy. 

3. She allowed a trilogy to be made that kills off or ignores most of the original main characters to instead focus on new characters which a large percentage of the fanbase don't even like that much

4. She backed up Rian Johnson's stance on Luke as a character instead of listening to Mark Hammil's ideas, which resulted in the Luke in episode 8 that everybody hated, their childhood hero reduced to being a bitter old hermit. 

5. She sided with Rian Johnson instead of Colin Trevorrow in regards to the direction for the trilogy (rumor has it that Colin was unhappy with what Rian was doing to Luke in episode 8 and that Rian planned to kill Luke, same as Mark Hamill, among other creative differences)

6. She continues to support Rian Johnson in spite of extreme fan backlash to episode 8 and Rian's unwillingness to admit that he made mistakes while developing it. 

7. She initially picked a comedy duo of directors to direct Solo originally and expected them to make a serious movie, and somehow didn't expect there to be creative differences. That decision led to expensive re-shoots for Solo which lead to a huge budget for the movie which is part of the reason why it flopped.  

8. She gave the go-ahead to release Solo in the crowded May window instead of in the December window that it would have practically had to itself.

She also delivered the highest grossing Star Wars film since the original. 

And the lowest grossing one is the one with a white male lead, the three other ones with a female lead have all crossed 1 billion WW. If anything an arguement can be made that they have short changed Rey and Finn to force feed in an old fart Luke Skywalker in TLJ which led to unsatisfying story arcs in TLJ for both of what should be your main characters. 

Disney has the final say on release dates too, no producer just tells the studio when they can release a film, a producers role is to make sure the production gets finished on time/schedule/budget mainly. 

shikamaru317 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

1. You're giving too much credit to the boycott.

2. Kathleen Kennedy did nothing wrong. There, I said it.

The boycott wasn't the only factor obviously, the high budget due to the director change, poor release window too close to Avengers and Deadpool, as well as fatigue from releasing just 6 months after Episode 8 were all factors as well, but the boycott is definitely a factor for sure.

1. She tried to forced too much diversity into a series known for primarily white male leads, which caused some backlash (justified or not).

It's not about diversity, it's about them pointing out diversity. It feels like forced diversity versus doing it naturally and story wise. Feels like fake diversity. That is why people are upset. They don't care what sex or race people are. Hell, I was excited for a kickass female jedi. Sadly they haven't given her any character. She is a boring mary-sue.

2. She allowed Rey to be designed as an overpowered Mary Sue character because she wanted Rey to be a feminist role model, because in KK's eyes "the force is female". Rey being a Mary Sue is one of the most hated things about the new trilogy. 

True

3. She allowed a trilogy to be made that kills off or ignores most of the original main characters to instead focus on new characters which a large percentage of the fanbase don't even like that much

Yep. There is a big difference between handing off a torch and ripping the torch from someones hands. I felt Han's was fine, but everyone elses was just an insult. Hell, you blink and you probably didn't even notice Ackbar died. Luke, well enough has been said about Luke I don't need to go there.

4. She backed up Rian Johnson's stance on Luke as a character instead of listening to Mark Hammil's ideas, which resulted in the Luke in episode 8 that everybody hated, their childhood hero reduced to being a bitter old hermit. 

Again not going to touch Luke at all. We all know they butchered him. It's a sad state when a company ignores an actors thoughts on the character when it's such an iconic character that is synonymous with that actor.

5. She sided with Rian Johnson instead of Colin Trevorrow in regards to the direction for the trilogy (rumor has it that Colin was unhappy with what Rian was doing to Luke in episode 8 and that Rian planned to kill Luke, same as Mark Hamill, among other creative differences)

6. She continues to support Rian Johnson in spite of extreme fan backlash to episode 8 and Rian's unwillingness to admit that he made mistakes while developing it. 

What is it with Johnson she likes? What has Johnson done besides this movie? I have no idea on him. But he has to be the most hated person in the entire Star Wars fandom and I don't think anyone has ever said something good about him. Any hatred towards Snyder is dwarfed by the Johnson hate. Yet they seem to not even acknowledge it and just live in their own bubble.

7. She initially picked a comedy duo of directors to direct Solo and expected them to make a serious movie, and somehow didn't expect there to be creative differences. That decision led to expensive re-shoots for Solo which lead to a huge budget for the movie which is part of the reason why it flopped.  

Haven't seen Solo, but as for TLJ, I did have some person who I wouldn't take as a fanboy, just some older gentleman who is a guy, thus has seen Star Wars. We didn't say much, but one of the real only things he said about the movie was he hated the little joke quips they had. Said they felt weird, out of place and tacked on. I would have took him as an everyday joe who would have loved those jokes, but he hated em.

8. She gave the go-ahead to release Solo in the crowded May window instead of in the December window that it would have practically had to itself.

Yea never understood putting that movie out when it did. Why not now? What movie is coming out now? Feel like there were lots of better windows for what since day 1 announcement was luke warm at best.

Thoughts above.

Soundwave said:
shikamaru317 said:

7. She initially picked a comedy duo of directors to direct Solo originally and expected them to make a serious movie, and somehow didn't expect there to be creative differences. That decision led to expensive re-shoots for Solo which lead to a huge budget for the movie which is part of the reason why it flopped.  

She also delivered the highest grossing Star Wars film since the original. 

And the lowest grossing one is the one with a white male lead, the three other ones with a female lead have all crossed 1 billion WW. If anything an arguement can be made that they have short changed Rey and Finn to force feed in an old fart Luke Skywalker in TLJ which led to unsatisfying story arcs in TLJ for both of what should be your main characters. 

Disney has the final say on release dates too, no producer just tells the studio when they can release a film, a producers role is to make sure the production gets finished on time/schedule/budget mainly. 

She was given a goose that lays golden eggs and has decided to eat it.

I've never seen a franchise's brand take such a hit so quickly. It went from a 2 billion dollar film and everyone excited for the future to now the only articles/discussion I see about how they want to boycott it or get her fired.

People bring up Star Wars fatigue, yet Marvel releases like 3 films a year and people scream for more. You don't get fatigue if people are satisfied with what you're releasing.

Imagine if the Last Jedi was well received and they removed the weird droid from Solo. Star Wars fans would be loving the world and demaning more and more spinoffs, tv shows, movies, ect.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
shikamaru317 said:

It's not about diversity, it's about them pointing out diversity. It feels like forced diversity versus doing it naturally and story wise. Feels like fake diversity. That is why people are upset. They don't care what sex or race people are. Hell, I was excited for a kickass female jedi. Sadly they haven't given her any character. She is a boring mary-sue.

True

Yep. There is a big difference between handing off a torch and ripping the torch from someones hands. I felt Han's was fine, but everyone elses was just an insult. Hell, you blink and you probably didn't even notice Ackbar died. Luke, well enough has been said about Luke I don't need to go there.

Again not going to touch Luke at all. We all know they butchered him. It's a sad state when a company ignores an actors thoughts on the character when it's such an iconic character that is synonymous with that actor.

What is it with Johnson she likes? What has Johnson done besides this movie? I have no idea on him. But he has to be the most hated person in the entire Star Wars fandom and I don't think anyone has ever said something good about him. Any hatred towards Snyder is dwarfed by the Johnson hate. Yet they seem to not even acknowledge it and just live in their own bubble.

7. She initially picked a comedy duo of directors to direct Solo and expected them to make a serious movie, and somehow didn't expect there to be creative differences. That decision led to expensive re-shoots for Solo which lead to a huge budget for the movie which is part of the reason why it flopped.  

Haven't seen Solo, but as for TLJ, I did have some person who I wouldn't take as a fanboy, just some older gentleman who is a guy, thus has seen Star Wars. We didn't say much, but one of the real only things he said about the movie was he hated the little joke quips they had. Said they felt weird, out of place and tacked on. I would have took him as an everyday joe who would have loved those jokes, but he hated em.

Yea never understood putting that movie out when it did. Why not now? What movie is coming out now? Feel like there were lots of better windows for what since day 1 announcement was luke warm at best.

Thoughts above.

It's pretty obvious why they like Johnson. He agrees with their politics and he's a good little boy who will put anything into the film they ask for. I guarantee that it was Lucasfilm/Kennedy that wanted the cute animals in the film to sell more toys. Unfortunately for them, it backfired. 

thismeintiel said:
shikamaru317 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree here. I'd 10 times rather watch any Star Wars movie again than watch Avatar again. It was so boring I fell asleep in the movie theater at one point, only time that has ever happened.

Cameron is a good director, but is very unoriginal.  He really hasn't written anything good since Terminator 2.  And his biggest box office successes have more to do with luck than his films.  Titanic came at the height of Leonardo DiCaprio fever, so teenage girls were seeing the film over and over.  I wouldn't say it's a bad film, but I haven't felt the need to watch it in more than a decade.  I would have personally preferred something based on fact concerning that tragedy, not a fake love story. 

As for Avatar, it was all the 3D hype surrounding the film, not the film itself, that made it a big hit.  That and the newly emerging Chinese market was thirsty for any big spectacle film.  If that film launched today, when there is no 3D hype and the Chinese are more selective, it would probably have done half of its original take.  I mean, it really left no impact on society.  No one knows the characters names, except maybe the general name of the aliens, Navi.  There are no memorable lines from that film, either.  I have yet to see a kid dress up as a Navi for Halloween.  I think it's funny that Cameron thinks he can finish out his days making umpteen sequels to such a forgettable film, as if it will be his SW.  Especially when said sequel is 10 years too late.  Avatar 2 probably won't hit $1.4B, half of the original.

For how much money Avatar grossed it seemed to have barely any cultural impact. It actually seems forgotten today.

There are rumors (please keep in mind that I did say rumors) that Kathleen Kennedy has already been fired from Lucasfilm, but that she'll be allowed to make a public exit in September by announcing that she's stepping down. If this is true, she'll be given a lot more dignity than the directors who she has publicly fired. It wouldn't 't surprise me if this turned out to be true. The Last Jedi was financially profitable, but made only half of what The Force Awakens made. Home video sales of the Last Jedi haven't been doing as well as a Star Wars movie should be doing. Solo will be the first Star Wars movie in history to lose money. The toy sales have been in a slump. No one seems to be interested in the new characters. They apparently have four different types of action figures for Rose Tico and nobody's buying them. Say what you want about the prequels, but at least they managed to have several popular characters such as Darth Maul, Mace Windu, Jango Fett, Count Dooku and General Grievous.

So yes, the Star Wars property has not been doing well under Kathleen Kennedy's management. To be honest, I don't think she's particularly interested in the franchise. A lot of her focus these days seems to be on the #MeToo movement. Also, she has had a career dealing with many films and franchises. She probably doesn't like being stuck to one franchise and only saw Star Wars as something she could put on her portfolio. So if she hasn't quit, then she definitely should be fired.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

thismeintiel said:
irstupid said:

Thoughts above.

It's pretty obvious why they like Johnson. He agrees with their politics and he's a good little boy who will put anything into the film they ask for. I guarantee that it was Lucasfilm/Kennedy that wanted the cute animals in the film to sell more toys. Unfortunately for them, it backfired. 

I just don't get why they trusted him with STAR WARS. I just looked at his resume and it's not worth the risk, imo. Is identity politics really worth risking billions?

I mean what his best movies is Looper and Brothers Bloom? your gonna put that on your biggest franchise.

I see his did a couple tv episode that were praised, but TV and movie are completely different. You can always tell when a director is/was a tv director. The movies just come off with a sort of tv/soap opera drama, or this cheesy closeup views that they use on tv. Makes you feel like your watching some tv show season finale versus what should be a big budget holleywood movie.

HomokHarcos said:
thismeintiel said:

Cameron is a good director, but is very unoriginal.  He really hasn't written anything good since Terminator 2.  And his biggest box office successes have more to do with luck than his films.  Titanic came at the height of Leonardo DiCaprio fever, so teenage girls were seeing the film over and over.  I wouldn't say it's a bad film, but I haven't felt the need to watch it in more than a decade.  I would have personally preferred something based on fact concerning that tragedy, not a fake love story. 

As for Avatar, it was all the 3D hype surrounding the film, not the film itself, that made it a big hit.  That and the newly emerging Chinese market was thirsty for any big spectacle film.  If that film launched today, when there is no 3D hype and the Chinese are more selective, it would probably have done half of its original take.  I mean, it really left no impact on society.  No one knows the characters names, except maybe the general name of the aliens, Navi.  There are no memorable lines from that film, either.  I have yet to see a kid dress up as a Navi for Halloween.  I think it's funny that Cameron thinks he can finish out his days making umpteen sequels to such a forgettable film, as if it will be his SW.  Especially when said sequel is 10 years too late.  Avatar 2 probably won't hit $1.4B, half of the original.

For how much money Avatar grossed it seemed to have barely any cultural impact. It actually seems forgotten today.

Yep. That movie is only mentioned when talking about how much it made. Other than that, it has basically been forgotten. James Cameron has not created a really memorable character since T2. Cameron is very much like Lucas, his work is better with the input of others. Avatar, however, was all him. And when he's mostly by himself, his characters are very one dimensional. Same thing with many of the characters from Titanic, which was all him, as well. They're either evil or good. No nuance to them and 100% forgettable if not for the actual actors who portrayed them.

irstupid said: 
thismeintiel said: 

I just don't get why they trusted him with STAR WARS. I just looked at his resume and it's not worth the risk, imo. Is identity politics really worth risking billions?

I mean what his best movies is Looper and Brothers Bloom? your gonna put that on your biggest franchise.

I see his did a couple tv episode that were praised, but TV and movie are completely different. You can always tell when a director is/was a tv director. The movies just come off with a sort of tv/soap opera drama, or this cheesy closeup views that they use on tv. Makes you feel like your watching some tv show season finale versus what should be a big budget holleywood movie.

For SJWs, it's always worth it.  It agreed with their world view, so they were fine with it. They just figured all the SW fans would come to watch it no matter what. They were wrong. 

I do agree with the TV thing. Even the plot of the film (running out of gas in a snail race) would only work as a SciFi show plot, which there it would only take up about 15 mins. After watching it for 20-30 mins, your mind just starts picking apart the obvious flaws in the plot.