By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Update: LucasFilm denies report | Report: Future Star Wars standalone movies on hold at LucasFilm

Get the sjws out and hire professionals who actually like the star wars IP to manage it. If not then the future main films will likely flop too.

Around the Network

I don't care who's in charge at Lucasfilm anymore, I have no desire to see any future SW film, TV series or spinoff. It should be put to rest, just like they did to everything that people loved about the originals. Killed off Han Solo right off the bat (could've at least waited until the 2nd film, but noooooo), turned Luke into the polar opposite of his character in the OT, went all in on the whole feminist / SJW messaging in the films to the point where the star character of your new trilogy is a Mary Sue with zero arc and character development.

Yeah, I'm pretty much done with this franchise. All Disney wants to do with it these days is to sit on their island of cash and milk the property for all its worth (hence the Rogue One / Solo / Obi-Wan / Boba Fett standalone films.. thank God we aren't getting those two would-be abominations). Sorry, not getting any more of my hard earned cash.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:

I don't care who's in charge at Lucasfilm anymore, I have no desire to see any future SW film, TV series or spinoff. It should be put to rest, just like they did to everything that people loved about the originals. Killed off Han Solo right off the bat (could've at least waited until the 2nd film, but noooooo), turned Luke into the polar opposite of his character in the OT, went all in on the whole feminist / SJW messaging in the films to the point where the star character of your new trilogy is a Mary Sue with zero arc and character development.

Yeah, I'm pretty much done with this franchise. All Disney wants to do with it these days is to sit on their island of cash and milk the property for all its worth (hence the Rogue One / Solo / Obi-Wan / Boba Fett standalone films.. thank God we aren't getting those two would-be abominations). Sorry, not getting any more of my hard earned cash.

I agree with a lot of what you said, except for one thing. Harrison Ford agreed to come back as Han Solo only if he was finally killed off. Harrison Ford has been trying to kill off Han Solo since Empire Strikes Back. As much as I like Harrison Ford and would hate to admit it, it was kind of his fault Han Solo died in Episode 7.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

shikamaru317 said:
Update: LucasFilm has officially denied the report, saying that there are still multiple standalone films in active development.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/21/lucasfilm-says-multiple-star-wars-standalone-movies-still-in-development

so they're going to push ahead and make more movies that many fans of the franchise actively want them not to make.

This would be like people who loved a sandwich joint but were allergic to peanuts found that place now insisted all sandwiches and tea came with peanuts.

The only real change so to the star wars stand alone movies after this one will be that their budgets will be even stricter again as they'll have to take into account the potentially low sales of a movie about some of the more abstract background characters from the original or even prequel trilogies. Not that a strict budget is always a bad thing, one of the cheapest made Star Trek films ever was Wrath of Khan because there was no faith in the series after the Motion picture bombed so hard... think still hard to name many Trek movies better than Khan.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

shikamaru317 said:
Update: LucasFilm has officially denied the report, saying that there are still multiple standalone films in active development.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/21/lucasfilm-says-multiple-star-wars-standalone-movies-still-in-development

After a purge of whatever is rotting Lucas Film from the inside I hope.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

so they're going to push ahead and make more movies that many fans of the franchise actively want them not to make.

This would be like people who loved a sandwich joint but were allergic to peanuts found that place now insisted all sandwiches and tea came with peanuts.

The only real change so to the star wars stand alone movies after this one will be that their budgets will be even stricter again as they'll have to take into account the potentially low sales of a movie about some of the more abstract background characters from the original or even prequel trilogies. Not that a strict budget is always a bad thing, one of the cheapest made Star Trek films ever was Wrath of Khan because there was no faith in the series after the Motion picture bombed so hard... think still hard to name many Trek movies better than Khan.

Most Star Wars fans really want the Obi-Wan movie from what I've seen, they want to see Ewan McGreggor in the role again, and if they work Maul into the movie as well, which is easily possible, I think the movie will go over really well with fans. 

The Boba movie on the other hand, I've seen mixed feelings about, some people want it, others think that a character like Boba who was mostly silent in the original trilogy can't carry a movie. If I were them I'd make it about a younger Boba, show the climatic duel between Boba and Cad Bane that we were supposed to get in season 6 of Clone Wars. The young Boba actor has even expressed interest in reprising his role.

I agree that tight budgets are a smart move for them, they should try and keep them below $100m if at all possible, $120m at most. Solo was going to have a $120m budget before the expensive reshoots after the director change, would have made a profit with that original budget, especially after the home video release and tv/streaming rights were sold. 

There has been a lot of potential content which could fill in the gaps in the Obi Wan movie and fill up a 2 hour movie if done correctly (possibly)

But Boba Fett I mean he has effectively zero character on screen in the original trilogy other than he was a silent bounty hunter who died in a hole, how do you even begin to market that, the only thing I could picture would be a very risky type of film with a near silent main character with the majority of dialogue coming from others who are either running from him or talking him up in scenes until he arrives and lives up to either the fears of his enemies or the accolades being bestowed to him by his peers. Otherwise what are you gonna get... him in the mandalorian armor for an opening scene where you establish him as Boba, 20 minutes to introduce his Fett family or something to be emotionally attached to, then 20 minutes of him having a child but it being effected by space cancer or something from him being a clone and that sets up a reason for him to go and bounty hunter up some people for money to pay for force chemo.

What I'm saying is.... from a cinematic stand point, can you sell a movie to the masses based on

"Before he went down a hole in Return of the Jedi"

"Before he was that guy that stood in the background of Empire Silently"

NOW

"played by some child actor from the prequel trilogy"

"now you finally get to see, that fight you've been waiting for from the cancelled star wars cartoon"

FETT A STAR WARS STORY

I can already hear the tickets for it not selling....

as for the Obi Wan movie though... I'd at least be moderately interested in that, but after TLJ and Solo in the cinema I really will need some convincing to go back to the big screen (bigger screen, have a home cinema projector lol) I will most likely be watching Ep 9 on Blu Ray if it's reviewed well by viewers or download if it's out on that first basically.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

shikamaru317 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Most Star Wars fans really want the Obi-Wan movie from what I've seen, they want to see Ewan McGreggor in the role again, and if they work Maul into the movie as well, which is easily possible, I think the movie will go over really well with fans. 

The Boba movie on the other hand, I've seen mixed feelings about, some people want it, others think that a character like Boba who was mostly silent in the original trilogy can't carry a movie. If I were them I'd make it about a younger Boba, show the climatic duel between Boba and Cad Bane that we were supposed to get in season 6 of Clone Wars. The young Boba actor has even expressed interest in reprising his role.

I agree that tight budgets are a smart move for them, they should try and keep them below $100m if at all possible, $120m at most. Solo was going to have a $120m budget before the expensive reshoots after the director change, would have made a profit with that original budget, especially after the home video release and tv/streaming rights were sold. 

An Obi-Wan movie starring Ewan McGreggor would go over really well with fans. An entire generation of of younger Star Wars fans see him as Obi-Wan. Even older fans who were not too fond of the prequels like liked Ewan McGreggor as Obi-Wan. It would be great to see what a good writer could do with that. A Boba Fett movie would be great in theory. The problem is in the original trilogy, all Boba Fett really did was stand around and look cool. Jango Fett in Episode II had more of a story than Boba Fett. I think an interesting movie could be made where we see Boba transition from orphan to professional bounty hunter and follow in his dad's footsteps. That would require someone to pretty much create a new character while still saying "yes, this is Boba Fett". It would be great if it could be pulled off but also terrible if the writers messed it up and I cannot see Lucasfilm creating a competent Boba Fett movie with their current management.

As for budgets, again, fire Kathleen Kennedy. She hires directors who are most likely paid a considerable amount of money just for accepting the job and then fires them. While I didn't hate Solo, that movie should not have bombed the way it did, even with the backlash from The Last Jedi. In 2012, George Lucas hired Lawrence Kasdan to write the screenplay. That should have been a winner right there. We're talking about the guy who wrote Empire Strikes Back. Then after Lucas was no longer involved, Kasdan handed the screenplay over to his SJW son Jonathan Kasden, which shouldn't have happened. Then Kathleen Kennedy hired Phil Lord and Christopher Miller to direct Solo. While they're bad directors, Solo was the wrong film for them to be working on. They basically filmed a comedy mostly because of the script they had to work with. This was deemed unacceptable by Lucasfilm and then they were fired. Ron Howard was then hired to finish the movie by reshooting 85% of it. Had Ron Howard been hired from the beginning, the film would not have cost as much as it did and it probably would have broke even, or even made a decent profit even with the current Star Wars backlash. So it starts at the top.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Not even talking about the quality of the films themselves (I thought they were fine), a movie a year is just too much for me and I'm having trouble keeping up.

Ganoncrotch said:
shikamaru317 said:

There has been a lot of potential content which could fill in the gaps in the Obi Wan movie and fill up a 2 hour movie if done correctly (possibly)

But Boba Fett I mean he has effectively zero character on screen in the original trilogy other than he was a silent bounty hunter who died in a hole, how do you even begin to market that, the only thing I could picture would be a very risky type of film with a near silent main character with the majority of dialogue coming from others who are either running from him or talking him up in scenes until he arrives and lives up to either the fears of his enemies or the accolades being bestowed to him by his peers. Otherwise what are you gonna get... him in the mandalorian armor for an opening scene where you establish him as Boba, 20 minutes to introduce his Fett family or something to be emotionally attached to, then 20 minutes of him having a child but it being effected by space cancer or something from him being a clone and that sets up a reason for him to go and bounty hunter up some people for money to pay for force chemo.

What I'm saying is.... from a cinematic stand point, can you sell a movie to the masses based on

"Before he went down a hole in Return of the Jedi"

"Before he was that guy that stood in the background of Empire Silently"

NOW

"played by some child actor from the prequel trilogy"

"now you finally get to see, that fight you've been waiting for from the cancelled star wars cartoon"

FETT A STAR WARS STORY

I can already hear the tickets for it not selling....

as for the Obi Wan movie though... I'd at least be moderately interested in that, but after TLJ and Solo in the cinema I really will need some convincing to go back to the big screen (bigger screen, have a home cinema projector lol) I will most likely be watching Ep 9 on Blu Ray if it's reviewed well by viewers or download if it's out on that first basically.

Just because Boba Fett didn't have a lot of lines in the movie, doesn't mean his character was "silent" or mute.  Boba Fett spoke and had dialogue.  In the Expanded Universe, there was an entire trilogy of books following his escape from the Sarlacc Pit.

thismeintiel said:
HomokHarcos said:

For how much money Avatar grossed it seemed to have barely any cultural impact. It actually seems forgotten today.

Yep. That movie is only mentioned when talking about how much it made. Other than that, it has basically been forgotten. James Cameron has not created a really memorable character since T2. Cameron is very much like Lucas, his work is better with the input of others. Avatar, however, was all him. And when he's mostly by himself, his characters are very one dimensional. Same thing with many of the characters from Titanic, which was all him, as well. They're either evil or good. No nuance to them and 100% forgettable if not for the actual actors who portrayed them.

irstupid said: 

I just don't get why they trusted him with STAR WARS. I just looked at his resume and it's not worth the risk, imo. Is identity politics really worth risking billions?

I mean what his best movies is Looper and Brothers Bloom? your gonna put that on your biggest franchise.

I see his did a couple tv episode that were praised, but TV and movie are completely different. You can always tell when a director is/was a tv director. The movies just come off with a sort of tv/soap opera drama, or this cheesy closeup views that they use on tv. Makes you feel like your watching some tv show season finale versus what should be a big budget holleywood movie.

For SJWs, it's always worth it.  It agreed with their world view, so they were fine with it. They just figured all the SW fans would come to watch it no matter what. They were wrong. 

I do agree with the TV thing. Even the plot of the film (running out of gas in a snail race) would only work as a SciFi show plot, which there it would only take up about 15 mins. After watching it for 20-30 mins, your mind just starts picking apart the obvious flaws in the plot. 

OMG, I totally didn't realize how much of a TV episode this movie felt like until you said that. It completely was a tv plot. Be some boring filler type episode that you would never watch again too. I'm just imaging a Star Trek/Firefly/ect type of scifi show where the plotline gets ignored completely one episode cause they are stuck in space due to ship malfunction or low fuel. LOL, omg, so bad.

I was more thinking of like Avengers movies, and Justice league that Wheden directed where the character scenes just look like your watching the CW or something. DIdnt' even think of the plot.