By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do we still look forward to Nintendo's E3 directs?

Drakrami said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Their E3 is now a big direct. Nintendo is ahead of the curve on this one since E3 is is losing significance.

ahead of the curve? 

More like... 

Nintendo was struggling to bring as much firepower as Microsoft and Sony because none of the third parties had games on their systems aka, no trailers to be shown at their show. 

Nintendo's own exclusive is not as showcatching as the other 2. For example, Sony can easily show 3-4 AAA titles any given year while Nintendo can only show either Zelda or Mario and then they are dry. 

Feeling the above 2, knowing Nintendo, they probably choose to save a few bucks on the conference cost and do a direct instead. So they are still in the game and have some exposure but don't have to try so hard every year in a battle they never win. 

It is just like how Microsoft doesnt announce console sales numbers and says they "focus" on user engagement instead. 

Except people complain that Sony's 3-4 AAA titles are, in the last few years, the same ones we've known about for about 2-3 years. As much as people  are excited for Spiderman, its been a headline game since E3 2016. The Last of Us 2 has been shown in the last 2 E3s. Death Stranding has been shown multiple times in 2-3 years and has yet to even show actual gameplay (unless you count this latest E3 trailer as such), no matter how trippy you think the trailers have become.

And with Nintendo, there's more than Mario and Zelda. We've seen it with Pokemon and Smash Bros. headlining this year's E3. Heck, Splatoon 2, not Mario nor Zelda, has been THE game in Japan as its still charting high in the sales charts in Japan while games like MHW and DQXI have had great first 3-5 weeks and then later fell off the charts. We'll eventually know more information about Fire Emblem Three Houses, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon 2019, Daemon x Machina, SMT V, etc.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Nautilus said:
Talk about overreaction.Not every E3 presentation going to be an explosion of exciting announcements.Companies cant make games that fast.There are going to be some that are good, and there are going to be others that are bad.Sony this year had nothing new, first party wise.What mostly saved them was the fact that the ones they shown, didnt have the gameplay shown already for the most part, and that they can also rely on third party stuff, like RE 2 Remake.

Jeez

Well yes, Nintendo cant rely on third parties so they need to do more. That's just the way it is. If they want to keep releasing consoles, then they need to compete with Sony and MS on the games front. Nintendo hasn't had an explosion of games at E3 since like 2010. Lately they seem to focus on one title mostly every E3. Im sure Smash fans were very happy, but not every Nintendo fan enjoy the exact same things. Of the three days of the Tree House, they showed off Smash like 50% of the time. At least show us some more indies to change things up a bit.

And I can totally relate to that!But then the discussion should be completely different.Then it should be changed from "Nintendo E3 presentation sucks everytime and we shouldnt look foward to it anymore" to "What can Nintendo do for their E3 showing to be more consistent in quality?".Thats what Im arguing about.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Their E3 is now a big direct. Nintendo is ahead of the curve on this one since E3 is is losing significance.

It has been since 2006 - not just for Nintendo, but other companies as well. But people still keep hyping it up like it’s even bigger than it was back in the earlier years when it was virtually the only major show where Nintendo would make announcements and reveal detailed footage. Now they scatter it through the year instead, and IMO it’s a lot better that way.

IMO, Gamescom is the better show, and has been for years. Part of it is that it’s a lot closer to the holiday season when we actually get to play the full games. Another part is that it’s not way way over on the isolated and ultra-expensive west coast of the US; despite Gamescom being in Europe, it’s cheaper for most Americans to go there than it is to go to E3, and it’s both bigger, and has A LOT more to do.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

On the AAA titles, I don’t see that as very much the Nintendo market. That’s Sony’s dominion, though thoroughly. Nintendo is much more about the creative and innovative games. In fact, I’d say Breath of the Wild is the only real “AAA game” Nintendo ever developed.

And as a Nintendo fan, I don’t like the dishonesty among some of the fan base trying to pretend games like Fire Emblem or Pokemon as AAA games - while it’s true that Pokemon is a lot more popular than AAA games, the “AAA” is more about the high expense of time, moneys and resources (as in staff/tools) dumped into the production of the product (A lot of time, A lot of money, A lot of resources). Generally it’s more of a Western game dev concept and Zelda doesn’t quite follow the typical formula either:
1. Spend a lot of money, resources, and time on a game.
2. If it succeedes, greenlight a series of annual sequels.
3. Have gigantic factory-style dev teams of hundreds of people, lots of money for promotion, development, and the giant QA and producer staff involved.
4. Stay in the box, any innovation must be based on what the product managers and their researches tell you will sell.
5. Keep churning out title after title, spending tens of millions per year, and have your development pipeline working like a well greased factory assembly-like.

That is not Nintendo, that is Activision, EA, and Ubisoft. And the formula works well - but Nintendo’s way of doing things also works extraordinarily well.

I just don't get this narrative on Nintendo. In March they teased Smash. In May they teased "Let's Go". At E3, they did a deep dive on each. Both are coming out THIS YEAR! They also "available right now'd" the biggest game in the world.

Sony spotlighted 4 games. All look really good, but all of them but one were announced before Super Mario Odyssey was announced. In 2015, Sony "won" E3 with the following lineup:

-The Last Guardian (announced for PS3 six years earlier. Wouldn't release for another 18 months)
-Horizon Zero Dawn (great game, but wouldn't release for another 18 months)
-No Man's Sky (Enough said)
-Final Fantasy VII (may as well be vaporware as of 3 years later)
-Shenmue 3 (Kickstarter!!)

Is that really what people want?

Around the Network

Generally speaking I tend to agree. Nintendo does not care about really "exciting" their fan base at E3 or even with Directs really. They are just run downs of games that are going to release in the immediate future, I don't really get wound up about their E3s anymore because I know generally 70% of the time it's going to be a let down from fan base expectations.

Nintendo doesn't really care about "having a good show", it's simply a generic run down of games they want to sell in the immediate future that usually we've seen or heard about before. The majority of their E3s have been bad for the last 10 years starting with that 2008 debacle. 

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Yeah they have been saying this for years but now E3 garners more live viewers than they ever have and it is open to the public. I believe there are like 60000 people who attend and everyone tunes in to see what is in store. 

Needless to say i think you are wrong.

Areaz32 said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

Yeah they have been saying this for years but now E3 garners more live viewers than they ever have and it is open to the public. I believe there are like 60000 people who attend and everyone tunes in to see what is in store. 

Needless to say i think you are wrong.

Agreed.

I definitely buy that E3 "isn't what it used to be", but gathering together to watch the press conferences (even if they're just video rundowns) is a thing the gaming community looks forward to more and more each year. 

And a majority of Twitter follows of mine that went to the actual show (as industry, not public) seemed to have a good time. It's good that we have this stuff year-round now (PSX, quarterly Directs), but there's also benefit in having one week of captive attention.

People get hyped for the unknown and the potential of the unknown.

Almost every Direct offers the chance of new info either a game announcement or maybe a new feature to an upcoming game.

It's good to see fans finally starting to wake up and realize E3 isn't what it was in 2006 and prior years.