By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do we still look forward to Nintendo's E3 directs?

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Their E3 is now a big direct. Nintendo is ahead of the curve on this one since E3 is is losing significance.

Bullshit. That's just a fallacy Nintendo fans came up with when they missed an E3 and started doing these directs. E3 is bigger than ever and it's growing bigger. There are more shows and and more media attention now more than before. It's only  gaining significance. 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Keybladewielder said:
Kinda off-tipic, but I wonder what happened to Pikmin 4.

It was probably Hey Pikmin ! But people are deluded by  mistranslation of an interview

Interesting that you wanna call people delusional when you aren't even sure if what you're saying is true. Atleast educate yourself first: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-14-miyamoto-pikmin-4-still-progressing

Only thing i look forward to at e3 now is the envitable whining and complaining

Nintendo still doesn't realize E3 is one of the biggest gaming events in the world and they are not taking advantage of it by showing games that appeal to multiple types of gamers that are otherwise very difficult to reach via social media or the internet. No Nintendo, not every gamer in the world likes Smash. Not even all Nintendo fans.

HintHRO said:
Nintendo still doesn't realize E3 is one of the biggest gaming events in the world and they are not taking advantage of it by showing games that appeal to multiple types of gamers that are otherwise very difficult to reach via social media or the internet. No Nintendo, not every gamer in the world likes Smash. Not even all Nintendo fans.

For a company that has attended E3 since it’s inception, I have a hard time taking your first sentence seriously. They have shown a multitude of games in every E3 they attended (outside of 2016 with BoTW being the sole game outside of Pokemon Sun and Moon). E3 was when they showed Mario 64 for the first time. Their 2010, 2014, and 2017 presentations have been well received with a decent amount of games shown. Unless you have a different criteria of “games that appeal to multiple types of gamers,” then I have nothing for you.

DélioPT said:
Nintendo seems to have a new angle for E3.
When Zelda Botw was all the rage a couple years ago, they thought they could focus on a major game for E3 and people would love it.
Zelda, Mario Odyssey and now Smash.

Thing is, people can "understand" that strategy when you don't have anything to show or you are new to the market, but the time comes where you need to show more.
People aren't going to be happy if they paid 300-350 for a few games… in 2017.

Also, Nintendo's strategy of scattering announcements throught the year is good when you have a lot to show. When you don't [have], that makes each announcement less impactful.

I guess it depends. I mean between the three directs we’ve have this year, there were a lot of games announced, even if you cut off Smash Bros.’s 25 minutes of fame and glory. As a Switch owner who can’t buy every game on the market, I can’t keep up with the games releasing on Switch.

Plus we’re accustomed to anticipating directs. So when Mr. Iwata passed away back in July 2015, we were anxious in waiting for any news from Nintendo when almost 6 months passed until their November Direct. So if Nintendo were to just combine all three of this year’s directs into one E3 presentation, we might not hear anything from them for months like most companies.

Around the Network

Really? expectation were high this year because I think Nintendo won E3 2017 by a landslide last year.
I was very disappointed with Nintendo E3 2018 but my expectation were also high. I was expecting Nintendo to drop 3DS support almost completely and have a very diverse Switch direct. Instead they focus entirely too much on one game and seem like we're in a typical Nintendo console drought again.

I personally like the Idea behind the Nintendo Directs, spreading infos about upcoming games on your system all over the year is a good concept especially for Nintendo and their smaller games. I also like that the E3 showcase is focusing on games releasing within a year.
The reasons I am disappointed from the E3 direct are:
a) the lineup for the second half of 2018 is just weak. My expectations weren't to high before the E3, I would have been satisfied if they'd showed me trailers for Pokemon let's go, Smash, FE and Yoshi, all releasing this year but instead both FE and Yoshi got delayed until 2019 and a new Mario Party for 2018, a gameseries I'm not too hyped for.
b) the pacing of this direct was way worse than in their last normal directs. They could have shown, the few things they had, a lot better. The first half was way to fast and then they spend way to much time on Smash.

Will I be looking forward to the next E3? Of course, even if this one was disappointing, Nintendo had good E3s in the past(14, 17) and they will have good E3 in the future.
Nintendo even has a lot of potential. You can do things with an prerecorded direct that aren't possible with a normal conference, just imagine the best parts of 2017(games) and 2014(presentation) merged into one direct.

I remember the Yamauchi era when Nintendo backed down from NO ONE. I haven't cared about watching them since they went to the video garbage. People can have their opinions on why they did it but I'll always believe it was a cowardly move.

Iwata was a good man... but some of his decisions were weak.

It was the only conference that I didn't watch and based on most feedback, I am glad I didn't watch it.

DélioPT said:

Also, Nintendo's strategy of scattering announcements throught the year is good when you have a lot to show. When you don't [have], that makes each announcement less impactful.

Kind of a silly notion. Here are the things they announced or shown first footage of at the Directs so far this year.

The World Ends With You

Hyrule Warriors DX

Mario Tennis Aces

Tropical Freeze

Captain Toad

Dark Souls

Okami HD

Undertale

No More Heroes

Little Nightmares

Crash Bandicoot

South Park

Daemon x Machina

Fortnite

Paladins

Dragon Ball Fighter Z

Overcooked 2

Mario Party

Pokemon Lets Go

Fire Emblem

Smash Bros

They have had a bunch to show this year and have more in upcoming Directs.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.