By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do we still look forward to Nintendo's E3 directs?

Nintendo's presentation was my favorite one at E3. They actually showed mostly games that are coming out this year. Most of their games shown were exclusives too. This is not to say that their presentation was perfect (20 minutes on Smash Bros is way too long). Instead what I'm saying is that all of the other presentations sucked really hard. Nintendo's was actually good, not perfect but good. The others were ranged from ok (Sony) to total trash that I watch to make fun of (EA, Microsoft).

Around the Network
Drakrami said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Their E3 is now a big direct. Nintendo is ahead of the curve on this one since E3 is is losing significance.

ahead of the curve? 

More like... 

Nintendo was struggling to bring as much firepower as Microsoft and Sony because none of the third parties had games on their systems aka, no trailers to be shown at their show. 

Nintendo's own exclusive is not as showcatching as the other 2. For example, Sony can easily show 3-4 AAA titles any given year while Nintendo can only show either Zelda or Mario and then they are dry. 

Feeling the above 2, knowing Nintendo, they probably choose to save a few bucks on the conference cost and do a direct instead. So they are still in the game and have some exposure but don't have to try so hard every year in a battle they never win. 

It is just like how Microsoft doesnt announce console sales numbers and says they "focus" on user engagement instead. 

Nah, if Nintendo put their handful of yearly Directs into a single E3 presentation than it would be just as big of a deal as the others.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Kinda off-tipic, but I wonder what happened to Pikmin 4.

Drakrami said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Their E3 is now a big direct. Nintendo is ahead of the curve on this one since E3 is is losing significance.

ahead of the curve? 

More like... 

Nintendo was struggling to bring as much firepower as Microsoft and Sony because none of the third parties had games on their systems aka, no trailers to be shown at their show. 

Nintendo's own exclusive is not as showcatching as the other 2. For example, Sony can easily show 3-4 AAA titles any given year while Nintendo can only show either Zelda or Mario and then they are dry. 

Feeling the above 2, knowing Nintendo, they probably choose to save a few bucks on the conference cost and do a direct instead. So they are still in the game and have some exposure but don't have to try so hard every year in a battle they never win. 

It is just like how Microsoft doesnt announce console sales numbers and says they "focus" on user engagement instead. 

Let me ask you this: What do you think Microsoft and Sony's presentations would have looked like if they used Nintendo's format of focusing on games stated to be released within the current fiscal year?

Nintendo seems to have a new angle for E3.
When Zelda Botw was all the rage a couple years ago, they thought they could focus on a major game for E3 and people would love it.
Zelda, Mario Odyssey and now Smash.

Thing is, people can "understand" that strategy when you don't have anything to show or you are new to the market, but the time comes where you need to show more.
People aren't going to be happy if they paid 300-350 for a few games… in 2017.

Also, Nintendo's strategy of scattering announcements throught the year is good when you have a lot to show. When you don't [have], that makes each announcement less impactful.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Keybladewielder said:
Kinda off-tipic, but I wonder what happened to Pikmin 4.

It was probably Hey Pikmin ! But people are deluded by  mistranslation of an interview

Yeah, and even if it were true, a core 2D Mario game and Mario Maker take priority over Pikmin since the 2D Mario team is in-charge of all three of those games.

Jumpin said:
On the AAA titles, I don’t see that as very much the Nintendo market. That’s Sony’s dominion, though thoroughly. Nintendo is much more about the creative and innovative games. In fact, I’d say Breath of the Wild is the only real “AAA game” Nintendo ever developed.

And as a Nintendo fan, I don’t like the dishonesty among some of the fan base trying to pretend games like Fire Emblem or Pokemon as AAA games - while it’s true that Pokemon is a lot more popular than AAA games, the “AAA” is more about the high expense of time, moneys and resources (as in staff/tools) dumped into the production of the product (A lot of time, A lot of money, A lot of resources). Generally it’s more of a Western game dev concept and Zelda doesn’t quite follow the typical formula either:
1. Spend a lot of money, resources, and time on a game.
2. If it succeedes, greenlight a series of annual sequels.
3. Have gigantic factory-style dev teams of hundreds of people, lots of money for promotion, development, and the giant QA and producer staff involved.
4. Stay in the box, any innovation must be based on what the product managers and their researches tell you will sell.
5. Keep churning out title after title, spending tens of millions per year, and have your development pipeline working like a well greased factory assembly-like.

That is not Nintendo, that is Activision, EA, and Ubisoft. And the formula works well - but Nintendo’s way of doing things also works extraordinarily well.

No offence, but goddammit, what a twisted view of what an AAA game, or rather a high profile game, should be.Honestly, there is not much to say to out other than everything you just said is wrong.Being a high profile game is not about burning money on a game that dosent require such investment to be the best it can, rather that the developer thats behind it gives the best it can, effort or monetary, that the game needs to be the best it can.In another words, the game couldnt be better than that, for the type of game the creators invisioned it, even if the budget was twice the size.Of course some Nintendo games could use the extra budget, but Mario Oddyssey, BOTW, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Smash Ultimate, Splatoon 2, Mario Tennis Aces and so on are all "AAA" games.Even second party games or third party exclusives, like Mario + Rabbids and Octopath are AAA(even if I can see the case of Octopath being an AA game)

And honestly, do you even care if a game is AAA, AA or indie if its an excellent game?I give two fucks if a game had a higher budget or not as long as Im getting the best game that developer could make.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

We look forward even for Nintendo Directs, so of course we will look forward for E3 Directs also.
Also its not true they constantly drop the ball, last years E3 Direct was great.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

they are ahead of the curve because they are doing worse already in a moving trend?

yeah I guess you can find something positive to say about it 

i disagree. for me its been either hit or miss since they started going digital-only

2014 / The Year of the Wii U - a pretty solid direct, some nice reveals, easily the best year for the Wii U
2015 / The Year of Super Mario Maker - the entire direct was focused on Mario Maker, the whole thing was pretty meh tbh
2016 / The Year of Zelda: BotW - not even a direct, some decent game reveals, Zelda was nice but still pretty meh
2017 / The Year of the Switch - easily one of their best years, so many great reveals
2018 / The Year of Smash Ultimate - there was Smash Bros and nothing else, better than '15 and '16 but still meh