Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do we still look forward to Nintendo's E3 directs?

Areaz32 said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Their E3 is now a big direct. Nintendo is ahead of the curve on this one since E3 is is losing significance.

Yeah they have been saying this for years but now E3 garners more live viewers than they ever have and it is open to the public. I believe there are like 60000 people who attend and everyone tunes in to see what is in store. 

Needless to say i think you are wrong.

Agreed.

I definitely buy that E3 "isn't what it used to be", but gathering together to watch the press conferences (even if they're just video rundowns) is a thing the gaming community looks forward to more and more each year. 

And a majority of Twitter follows of mine that went to the actual show (as industry, not public) seemed to have a good time. It's good that we have this stuff year-round now (PSX, quarterly Directs), but there's also benefit in having one week of captive attention.

Around the Network

People get hyped for the unknown and the potential of the unknown.

Almost every Direct offers the chance of new info either a game announcement or maybe a new feature to an upcoming game.

It's good to see fans finally starting to wake up and realize E3 isn't what it was in 2006 and prior years.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Nintendo's presentation was my favorite one at E3. They actually showed mostly games that are coming out this year. Most of their games shown were exclusives too. This is not to say that their presentation was perfect (20 minutes on Smash Bros is way too long). Instead what I'm saying is that all of the other presentations sucked really hard. Nintendo's was actually good, not perfect but good. The others were ranged from ok (Sony) to total trash that I watch to make fun of (EA, Microsoft).

Drakrami said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Their E3 is now a big direct. Nintendo is ahead of the curve on this one since E3 is is losing significance.

ahead of the curve? 

More like... 

Nintendo was struggling to bring as much firepower as Microsoft and Sony because none of the third parties had games on their systems aka, no trailers to be shown at their show. 

Nintendo's own exclusive is not as showcatching as the other 2. For example, Sony can easily show 3-4 AAA titles any given year while Nintendo can only show either Zelda or Mario and then they are dry. 

Feeling the above 2, knowing Nintendo, they probably choose to save a few bucks on the conference cost and do a direct instead. So they are still in the game and have some exposure but don't have to try so hard every year in a battle they never win. 

It is just like how Microsoft doesnt announce console sales numbers and says they "focus" on user engagement instead. 

Nah, if Nintendo put their handful of yearly Directs into a single E3 presentation than it would be just as big of a deal as the others.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Drakrami said:

ahead of the curve? 

More like... 

Nintendo was struggling to bring as much firepower as Microsoft and Sony because none of the third parties had games on their systems aka, no trailers to be shown at their show. 

Nintendo's own exclusive is not as showcatching as the other 2. For example, Sony can easily show 3-4 AAA titles any given year while Nintendo can only show either Zelda or Mario and then they are dry. 

Feeling the above 2, knowing Nintendo, they probably choose to save a few bucks on the conference cost and do a direct instead. So they are still in the game and have some exposure but don't have to try so hard every year in a battle they never win. 

It is just like how Microsoft doesnt announce console sales numbers and says they "focus" on user engagement instead. 

Nah, if Nintendo put their handful of yearly Directs into a single E3 presentation than it would be just as big of a deal as the others.

Man, if Nintendo simply did the same as Microsoft, it would have been a freaking total blown out. But it wouldn't last long and in this case, Smash would have still overshadowed evertyhing else.

... yeah, Nintendo's way of spreading announcements is way more heathly, I think

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Kinda off-tipic, but I wonder what happened to Pikmin 4.

Keybladewielder said:
Kinda off-tipic, but I wonder what happened to Pikmin 4.

It was probably Hey Pikmin ! But people are deluded by  mistranslation of an interview

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Drakrami said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

ahead of the curve? 

More like... 

Let me ask you this: What do you think Microsoft and Sony's presentations would have looked like if they used Nintendo's format of focusing on games stated to be released within the current fiscal year?

Nintendo seems to have a new angle for E3.
When Zelda Botw was all the rage a couple years ago, they thought they could focus on a major game for E3 and people would love it.
Zelda, Mario Odyssey and now Smash.

Thing is, people can "understand" that strategy when you don't have anything to show or you are new to the market, but the time comes where you need to show more.
People aren't going to be happy if they paid 300-350 for a few games… in 2017.

Also, Nintendo's strategy of scattering announcements throught the year is good when you have a lot to show. When you don't [have], that makes each announcement less impactful.