By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do we still look forward to Nintendo's E3 directs?

illdill1987 said:

I think it's time to stop getting excited for Nintendo at e3. They constantly drop the ball. And it's weird because I always feel like there is the most hype for their directs. Everyone thinks they will surprise us but they never do. Not since Twilight Princess have they had a good e3 in my opinion. And I say that as someone who was happy with this e3. The new Smash looks to be the best thing ever and smash is my main game I couldn't be happier. Pissed with Links changes he has been my main since 99 but whatever. I will relearn him but that's not the point. Stop complaining about Nintendo's e3 they are done with them that show is meaningless to them. Seriously I see a lot of upset people. I wasn't upset at all but that's because I literally knew it would suck. And I expected smash to look exactly the same but it blew me away.

They dropped the ball last year? Perhaps you didn't like it, but the general consensus was that they had a good showing. When Nintendo messes up, people are going to complain so they know they messed up and hopefully improve. Whether they think E3 is important or not is irrelevant. Delaying games and spending so much time on a single game in what's supposed to be a general direct would be frowned upon no matter when they did it.

Around the Network

How did they have a dissapointing E3 last year? And the year before that?

The March Direct was a better Direct than this one. I did think it disappointed but it seems they prefer to stick to close releases rather than showcase a title that won't hit for another two years just to create hype. They could've easily showed Metroid and Retro's game, and I bet people would've been buzzing.

It's still a solid direct, and we know we'll get a proper direct end of the summer so I'm not too worried about that.

For me it really just feels like any other direct. It's always cool to see but I have a hard time saying that e3 was leaps and bounds more exciting than the March direct

I don't understand why we are supposed to lower our expectations and assume E3 is no longer relevant.

It's the biggest and most exciting gaming expo of the year, so I sure expect all companies to deliver.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

A little off-topic, but Nintendo might be open to going back to live conferences instead of E3 Directs.

Oh no! Ö

That'd be terrible. Let's hope the folks at Nintendo change their minds. I've been told that Nintendo's pre-recorded "presentations" are the future and much better than live conferences where fans can show their enthusiasm as well as interact with each other and the developers.

morenoingrato said:
I don't understand why we are supposed to lower our expectations and assume E3 is no longer relevant.

It's the biggest and most exciting gaming expo of the year, so I sure expect all companies to deliver.

+1

I thought the E3 Direct was amazing actually. I was more disappointed that there were 0 game announcements during Treehouse. Last year was Metroid, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga and Sushi Striker, sprinkled throughout the few days.

What was shown of Starlink though, man that is one of my most anticipated titles this year.

1doesnotsimply

Some of their E3's are quite fun. Really though, at this point it's just another Direct like those we get throughout the year... really seems like they only go all out when they're struggling or releasing new hardware.

I like to see what Nintendo shows in the Direct.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Their E3 is now a big direct. Nintendo is ahead of the curve on this one since E3 is is losing significance.

ahead of the curve? 

More like... 

Nintendo was struggling to bring as much firepower as Microsoft and Sony because none of the third parties had games on their systems aka, no trailers to be shown at their show. 

Nintendo's own exclusive is not as showcatching as the other 2. For example, Sony can easily show 3-4 AAA titles any given year while Nintendo can only show either Zelda or Mario and then they are dry. 

Feeling the above 2, knowing Nintendo, they probably choose to save a few bucks on the conference cost and do a direct instead. So they are still in the game and have some exposure but don't have to try so hard every year in a battle they never win. 

It is just like how Microsoft doesnt announce console sales numbers and says they "focus" on user engagement instead.