By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fortnite - warning DO NOT play on PS4, or you can't play on Switch (and quick start guide if you're sheltered like me, and didn't know about this game before)

CrazyGamer2017 said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

Well. It’s been a couple days now. Have you realized how wrong you are about this whole thing? Lol.

Nope I haven't had any further info on this issue. All I hear is hysterical people who raise pitchforks and torches and wants to burn Sony-ville.

Like I said to someone reasonable on this thread I am willing to assume the worst which is Sony having some kind of agreement with Epic over PS4 accounts not being usable elsewhere which if true would make Epic as much as Sony guilty of this issue. But again that is only speculation I engage in, to try and meet the angry mob somewhere in the middle. I still don't know the full details. All I have been saying is Sony does not have the power to tell Switch or Xbox what to do on their platform which is true. Sorry but I'm not wrong

But Sony does have power over PlayStation and how third parties are to interact with the PlayStation platform.

I highly doubt EG would want their own accounts restricted like this. I expect them to want players to be able to play their account regardless of what hardware they're playing on so as to maximize investment and engagement.

Sony stands to benefit from this restriction and EG does not by making any Sony-associated EG accounts only playable on PlayStation and, to Sony's credit, PC and smartphones. No X1 or Switch.

This is circumstantial to a degree but the most damning evidence is the messaging that appears to a Switch player who tries to log on to their EG account via Switch:

Contrast this to the softer tone given when trying to access an EG account associated with a Switch. It's posted earlier in this thread if you care to read it.

All this just points the finger at Sony and no one else but Sony. I doubt it's Nintendo or Microsoft's doing as these two have no issue cross-playing and sharing EG accounts.

The worst part of this is that if any PC or smartphone EG account gets associated with PS, the account gets this restriction imposed on it, as I understand it, without warning.

This behavior is just slimy and it feels like a trap. It certainly behaves like a trap and when given a chance to address the controversy, BBC quotes Sony

"We're always open to hearing what the PlayStation community is interested in to enhance their gaming experience," it said.

"With... more than 80 million monthly active users on PlayStation Network, we've built a huge community of gamers who can play together on Fortnite and all online titles.

"We also offer Fortnite cross-play support with PC, Mac, iOS, and Android devices, expanding the opportunity for Fortnite fans on PS4 to play with even more gamers on other platforms."

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44477524

Hardly a denial of accusations.

Until something further arises indicating something else might be at fault, this is on Sony.

Around the Network
jenpol said:
KLAMarine said:

Interesting. Now that you've played Fortnite via Switch, are you able to play your Fortnite account via PS4? Are you willing to try knowing of Sony potentially abducting your account?

I would have to install it (and reinstall it on my Switch). As I said, I don't want to play the game.

On my EPIC account page I can dissociate my PSN account though (maybe it would reset something).

I would show you but I dunno how to share an image here (without a link).

That's interesting. I would certainly like to see if this would lift the restriction. Wish I could test this myself but I don't have a PS4.

Needless to say, don't trouble yourself if it's too much of a bother and thanks.

Players can more than likely call Epic’s customer service to get the PS4 account-hijack crap removed from their account. Bottom line is a warning needs to be added to players attempting to login through PS4 that it will lock users out from other platforms.

Anyway - tip for 50 vs 50: glide over the border into enemy territory, go deep. Head to a roof, get a gun and go hunting. Stay relatively hidden, and move away from kills (or they will eventually catch on and find you. If you’re fast enough, you can get to their landing spots before most of them have weapons. It’s loads of fun shooting down unsuspecting enemies while they’re deep in lands they think are safe. It’s also shockingly easy to get back to friendly territory once you’ve made enough noise.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 17 June 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Nem said:

Yeah i mean the sharing of accounts. It's the same thing in the end. It means players can't cross over with their account.

Actually, this isn't even new or restricted to Nintendo/Microsoft.

FFXIV on PS4 is a shared but different account from PC. You can't buy an expansion on one and play on the other. You have to buy it on both. This revenue is what i think the sony execs are being adamant about.

You can have $100 worth of shit purchased on PC in Fortnite, created your Epic account on PC, and played for 350 hours on PC. But because you logged into a friends PS4 to show him/her your cosmetics for five minutes, your account is now held hostage on PS4 and you cannot use it on Switch or Xbone. There is no defending that. There’s no “revenue” Sony is missing out on, there’s no relevance to past games like FFXIV or other games that don’t allow you to transfer your account and purchases across platforms, because Epic allows you to do that with Fortnite. Unless of course, you’ve ever played on PS4.

The uproar about this will make them change. It’s a good thing. And then maybe they’ll loosen up about cross play.

You don't understand. PS4 is the most popular console. People will play where their friends are. Sony will get loads of revenue from doing that rather than letting people go across another system and buy their micro-transactions there. It is exactly what they do with FFXIV. They want that revenue and i doubt they will change, no matter how much noise people make. It's millions we are talking about. Would you give up millions just to let someone play and purchase in a competitors system? These are shareholders we are talking about. They care about money and the worth of their stock. So, unless this controversy reflects in a stock value drop, and i don't see why it would, i doubt they will hand out those millions to the competition just to please you guys. It's unthinkable.

Jumpin said:

Players can more than likely call Epic’s customer service to get the PS4 account-hijack crap removed from their account. Bottom line is a warning needs to be added to players attempting to login through PS4 that it will lock users out from other platforms.

I'm not too sure about this. EG themselves have said their customer service can do nothing about this.

In addition, I tried to unlink my Switch from my EG account on EG's website and among the warnings given, one read "Unlinking this service will NOT unlock restricted platforms" so I think it's safe to assume unlinking an EG account from PSN will still not allow an EG account access to X1 or Switch...

Jumpin said:

Anyway - tip for 50 vs 50: glide over the border into enemy territory, go deep. Head to a roof, get a gun and go hunting. Stay relatively hidden, and move away from kills (or they will eventually catch on and find you. If you’re fast enough, you can get to their landing spots before most of them have weapons. It’s loads of fun shooting down unsuspecting enemies while they’re deep in lands they think are safe. It’s also shockingly easy to get back to friendly territory once you’ve made enough noise.

Sounds like fun. I'll give it a go next time I play Fortnite, thank you.

Around the Network
RedKingXIII said:
Aeolus451 said:

Gamers aren't being fucked over. The majority of multiplatform games would never allow the transferring of game progress and dlc over to a different platform. It's uncommon sense apparently.

We're not talking about "the majority of multiplatform games" here, wer'e talking about Fortnite, a game that allows you to transfer progress and DLC between different devices. Yeah, the vast majority of multiplat games doesn't allow you to transfer data between devices, but that's not the case with Fortnite.

This has nothing to do with crossplay and everything to do with how multiplatform games work on consoles. Sony is catching shit over something all 3 of them do but sony makes for a convenient villain since they are the market leader. For the most part, the complaints are nonsensical.

Lmao, they're not the villains because they're the market leader. Why would anyone think that? Don't you get it? If you play Fortnite on your PS4 even once you can't use the same account on XONE/Switch. You're locked on PS4 FOREVER. How is complaining about that nonsensical? How that doesn't make Sony the "bad guys"? I don't care about other multiplatform games, but this specific case is just ridiculous.

Fortnite is a multiplatform game and some of the platform companies are allowing something that's normally restricted by all of them. The complaints are nonsensical because the restrictions are very normal and everyone knew it was the default policy unless specified.  People don't have a justified reason to raise this much ruckus over it.

This is how I see the PS and Epic conversation going down over Fortnite.

Epic: Hey PS, we want to put this free to play battle royale game on the PS4 and we think it's going to be a hit.
PS: Interesting, considering XB locked up PUBG... Tell us more.
Epic: It's multi player and online accounts that are cross platform so players can take their loot wherever they want. Here's a demo.
PS: Looks like a fun game for our players, but how do we make money if it's free? We aren't clogging up our network for nothing.
Epic: Lots of micro-transactions and you get a piece of the profits.
PS: Ok, but you said the multi player and accounts are cross platform?
Epic: Yes.
PS: We don't allow that with other console platforms.
Epic: Well that's going to be a problem then.
PS: How are we guaranteed to make money? How do we know gamers will buy loot at all, let alone from the PS4 version?
Epic: Umm... Well, it's highly unlikely that nobody will buy anything at all and why would they not buy from the PS4 version?
PS: We don't know, but can you guarantee us a certain amount of profits regardless?
Epic: Umm... No.
PS: So just to be clear, a gamer who has multiple platforms, one being PS4, can play Fortnite on all of them, and could spend money on all of them, except for the PS4 version, and you think that's a good deal for us? How does that benefit us financially?
Epic: It might convince some people buy PS4's to play Fortnite.
PS: With a bunch of other platforms that are cheaper or more mobile that also play Fortnite for free?
Epic: Umm...
PS: Tell ya what. How about you lock the PS4 accounts solely to PS4 devices? That way we can be assured we get a slice of the profits whatever they end up being.
Epic: That doesn't jive with our vision though.
PS: Well do you have a better idea?
Epic: Umm... No?
PS: Well then. No guarantee, no Fortnite Battle Royale on PS4.
Epic: Give us some time to talk about it and think it over.
PS: Sure, no problem.

Epic: Ok so here's the deal everyone. We have two options. First, we accept the PS offer which opens the door to 60+ million gamers but restricts those accounts to only PS4 devices, which could lead to millions of upset gamers down the road who can't use their accounts cross platform. Second, we can tell PS we won't accept but then we lose any access to those 60+ million gamers and counting, considering this platform has massive momentum and no end in sight. We could also end up with 60+ million PS4 gamers that are upset they can't play Fortnite on their device.
Investors: We like money. We also like higher odds. Did we forget to mention we like money?
Epic: It's settled then. Fortnite will be on PS4.
Investors: Excellent.

Epic: We agree to the terms.
PS: Are you sure? You do realize the backlash you may get from other platforms and their gamers?
Epic: Yes, but the investors have spoken and worst case scenario we'll deal with it later if we have to.
PS: You have yourselves a deal then. (Take that XB and PUBG!)

Fin.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 17 June 2018

Nem said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

You can have $100 worth of shit purchased on PC in Fortnite, created your Epic account on PC, and played for 350 hours on PC. But because you logged into a friends PS4 to show him/her your cosmetics for five minutes, your account is now held hostage on PS4 and you cannot use it on Switch or Xbone. There is no defending that. There’s no “revenue” Sony is missing out on, there’s no relevance to past games like FFXIV or other games that don’t allow you to transfer your account and purchases across platforms, because Epic allows you to do that with Fortnite. Unless of course, you’ve ever played on PS4.

The uproar about this will make them change. It’s a good thing. And then maybe they’ll loosen up about cross play.

You don't understand. PS4 is the most popular console. People will play where their friends are. Sony will get loads of revenue from doing that rather than letting people go across another system and buy their micro-transactions there. It is exactly what they do with FFXIV. They want that revenue and i doubt they will change, no matter how much noise people make. It's millions we are talking about. Would you give up millions just to let someone play and purchase in a competitors system? These are shareholders we are talking about. They care about money and the worth of their stock. So, unless this controversy reflects in a stock value drop, and i don't see why it would, i doubt they will hand out those millions to the competition just to please you guys. It's unthinkable.

This. Seems like people just miss the point that Sony loses if they allow cross-play compared to Nintendo and MS who have least install base who gains a lot. Lets ask the same question with those guys who are complaining and see what they will do if they were in Sony position. 

If you have a business that is successful for which you worked really hard, and if some of your competitors who are least successful or popular asked to co-operate with them for promoting few products that they sell (you also do) in your stores then will you agree ? Will you help your competitors by marketing those products with their stores names also in the ad for those products like where they can find it in your stores ads just because also sell same item ?

Its common sense that many people lacking here, and they just want their self desires to be satisfied instead of thinking about it in subjective manner and making sense. 

Sony will support cross-play from next-gen (only next-gem games) when they start from 0 with some T&C to give them some revenue if their platforms users are mostly used or something like that which is useful for every platform. Also many people forget MS charges money though subscription for F2P games as you cant play fortnight without Gold. So why no one is complaining when Sony does not ? Is that not a anti-consumer ? 

Why Nintendo do not give even basic functions like Music, Movie and web access in their console when other platforms are offering ? Why they are not giving option to back up your saves without online subscription when others are giving free access  ?

Because its business for them, and they are protecting their investments just like Sony has to because they struggled a lot and spent a lot of money last gen. Also Sony as a company was struggled few years before PS4, and entire Sony is relying on PlayStation. Also Sony is investing and risking a lot with First party studios using that money and giving really big budget and production values games like Hollywood compared to others. Which is pushing MS to do now which helps gamers, and also Nintendo too very soon if they want to be competitive.

We gamers need to ask platform holders to give games, and also make sure we help them stay alive to make those games we love but not like this non-sense that people throwing at Sony every time there is no cross-play for a game they want (Sony would do allow if they do not lose anything). Nothing you do will affect their sales, as they are doing what gamers want as a whole compared to those few people who complain will not make a dent on their revenue. 

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Btw I have head one more thing, if you used your account in either Switch or Xbox before PS4 then you cannot play in PS4 at all without creating new account. Is this true ?

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Aeolus451 said:
RedKingXIII said:

Fortnite is a multiplatform game and some of the platform companies are allowing something that's normally restricted by all of them. The complaints are nonsensical because the restrictions are very normal and everyone knew it was the default policy unless specified.  People don't have a justified reason to raise this much ruckus over it.

It’s normal for people to have functionality permanently removed, without warning, if they login even once to PS4 at any point?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.