By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Confirmed: Next Gen Xbox Codenamed Scarlet.

shikamaru317 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Based on the trailer, its a prequel. First of all, there is a Halo! It actually resembles the land you crash on in the first Halo game.

Curious to see if plays like an entirely new game with its own multiplayer or if its built off Halo 5, like ODST or Uncharted:TLL.

Actually, there is a date hidden on the Pelican screen, and that date is 2 years after Halo 5. 

Also, I'm guessing you didn't see Halo 5's Legendary ending (every Halo game has a secret ending for beating the game on Legendary difficulty). The Legendary ending for Halo 5 shows a Halo ring powering up with Cortana humming a song. It means there is still a Halo ring out there, so a Halo ring being in the Infinite trailer is not evidence that it's a prequel.

I did a little reading, I did not see it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

No sure if she approves 

Scarlett O'hara

They announced another console codename less than a year after the One X hit shelves? Man, Microsoft is all over the place... Basically they're quietly admitting that the One X has been a catastrophic failure.

TranceformerFX said:
They announced another console codename less than a year after the One X hit shelves? Man, Microsoft is all over the place... Basically they're quietly admitting that the One X has been a catastrophic failure.

? I don’t think they’re saying that at all.

They are probably wanting to get a head start on Sony again, worked well for the Xbox 360.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
UltimateGamer1982 said:
Slightly off topic, but did anyone notice Microsoft using the 360 slogan “jump in” for all their trailers today? They have been using jump ahead all gen but I like they’ve gone back to the 360 slogan. I feel very positive about that.

That they did. Phil trying to make a point of going back to the golden days of the 360? With the addition of quality cloud game streaming and more devices?

Did anyone notice Phil said they were working on their next gen consoles? Multiple form factors at launch? A base and X SKU at launch? Another mid gen console plan?

shikamaru317 said:
Maxosaurus-rex said:

A title screen makes you speculate that a game is coming out next year? 

Leaks had it releasing this year, leaks by verified insiders, and that is backed up by Starfield trademarks going back over 5 years, suggesting it has been in development for a long time. It's looking like it was only recently delayed into next-gen in favor of Fallout 76. That tells me we might get next-gen consoles in 2019. It's far from certain of course, but it does match other recent leaks pointing to a 2019 PS5 release. 

Phil made it super clear the team is deep into architecting their next consoles. If next gen was coming 2019 I would assume he would say something like prototyping. I'd say this means 2020. Phil did also say they would definitely fulfill their promise of setting the benchmark again for console gaming (he forgot to say performance) going forward. We'll probably see either a 2019 PS5 then 2020 XB Scarlet that is somewhat similar to Pro vs XB1X in terms of specs gap, or a 2020 PS5 at $399 and 2020 XB SC at $499.

Scarlet gives the impression its aiming for high end. It also sounds kinda similar to Scorpio, which was also supposed to be more high end.

shikamaru317 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

No, Halo 6 is Halo 6. Infinite is obviously going to be something like Reach. 

The description for the youtube video:

The Master Chief returns in Halo Infinite – the next chapter of the legendary franchise. Developed by 343 Industries and created with our new Slipspace Engine, Halo Infinite was revealed at the Xbox E3 2018 Briefing with a thrilling engine demo that provides a glimpse into the future of the Halo franchise, leading it into new and unexpected directions.

Could be a spinoff focused on Chief I suppose, but it's definitely a Chief game unlike the other Halo spinoffs to date (ODST, Reach, Wars, Wars 2 all feature other characters besides Chief). There is a date hidden in the trailer which is 2 years after Halo 5, so it's not a prequel. Also, Cortana's chip is restored when Chief puts it back in his helmet at the end, which may be a tease that Chief manages to save and restore Cortana in Infinite.

Maybe it's just me, but the Pelican in the video looks like it's been sitting for quite a while. At least 2 years. Who's to say that chip is Cortana? Unexpected directions...

Kyuu said:
Scorpio hasn't been out for 8 months and they're already talking about a Scarlet...

That's because Xbox One X is still... just an Xbox One. 

Kyuu said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

That's because Xbox One X is still... just an Xbox One. 

But what if Scarlet is... just an Xbox One X?

Microsoft is both confused and confusing right now. Announcing Scarlet this early suggests that the X was poorly timed and overpriced.

If it's a next gen console it's clearly going to be much more powerful than the Xbox One X.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

UltimateGamer1982 said:
TranceformerFX said:

? I don’t think they’re saying that at all.

Yes, they are. If I bought an Xbox One X, I'd be livid about this "Codename Scarlet" bullshit. When Microsoft announces that they are working on the "true" gen predecessor to the X1 when Sony, only a few weeks ago mind you - made a statement that the PS5 is "still a while away" means only one thing:

Microsoft has thrown in the towel this gen by releasing news of their next gen console despite their newest Xbox iteration only being on the shelf for seven months.

They clearly want to get to the next gen phase first. It won't matter though - Sony is in it for the long run and has absolutely NO inclination to rush PS5 news to the market. I'm perfectly content with my PS4 Pro, and have no desire for the PS5 until at least 2020, preferably 2021. 

LipeJJ said:
Kyuu said:

But what if Scarlet is... just an Xbox One X?

Microsoft is both confused and confusing right now. Announcing Scarlet this early suggests that the X was poorly timed and overpriced.

If it's a next gen console it's clearly going to be much more powerful than the Xbox One X.

It's not even that difficult to build a console for the same price as the Xbox One X right now that is significantly faster.
Lots of "premium" design/ideas/tech wen't into that console. I.E. Cooling and Power Delivery. - That is all cost that could have been spent on a faster SoC.

With that in mind, I highly doubt Scarlet is an Xbox One X successor, it's timing wouldn't be appropriate for that... But... I could also be wrong.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--