By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and its prices

Miyamotoo said:
KLXVER said:

I rather believe the "keeping the price makes the games seem more worth it" argument. I just don't get it. I don't think people who love Horizon or Bloodborne is any less great because the prices were cut 4 months later.

Price argument don't have anything with point if some game is better than other, and we know that Nintendo operates quite different to rest of industry in most cases.

They do and they have by far the most unstable fanbase of the big three.

Around the Network

Supply and demand and because Nintendo gamers are collectors.

PS4/ONE there is a huge second hand market of games being sold cheap so publishers have to slash to get sales.

Nintendo gamers keep their games so no option but to pay full wack i you want to own it.

It seems to depend on the game as well. Odyssey and BOTW have dropped very little, but other games drop 10-20€ relatively fast, at least around here.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for example is down to around 40€ by now. Sure that is not in selcets range, but it's usually not true that Nintendo games don't drop at all. It just takes Nintendo significantly longer to bring out selects versions of their games with an official price drop, then it takes other companies to come out with a GOTY version.

All of that is part of why their war-chest is as big as it is. Their development budgets tend to be modest, compared to the typical AAA budget, so they usually make development cost back rather quickly and then rely on legs to really fill their pockets. They tend to value their games high and it works because most of them have fantastic legs and retain good aftermarket value. It's smart businesswise, but as a consumer, obviously I tend to hunt for deals.

My pet peeve is the pricing for the likes of DKTP though, it's a barely retouched game that is 10€ more expensive than it's original and as much as I love the game, and would love to play it portably, Switch 'remaster' pricing really screws over WiiU owners, so I'm holding off for now.

I tend to buy my games from amazon.fr or amazon.co.uk now, since amazon.de has insane markups on nintendos first party games. BOTW is still 69€ for the standart version for example, more expensive than any other european country from what I can tell. Other retailers seem to go either with 65€ or with the actual 60€ for new games. BOTW goes fro 50-55€ on other german retailers currently. I'm not sure what is happening there but amazon.de has consistently been going over msrp with Switch games.

OTBWY said:
Otter said:

I don't think this really covers the point though. Horizon has sold more than all but 2 Switch games and is still selling more than most. Meanwhile 1,2 Switch (not exactly selling like hot cakes) is still more expensive. 

Cause HZD had a price cut.

Your point was that Nintendo games continue selling so they don't need a price cut. So surely games like Arms, 1,2 Switch, Xenoblade, Bayonetta etc should be in for a price cut since they're not charting high? For Nintendo its not a case of selling versus not selling otherwise half of their games will be on discount and most games that are discounted om PS4 are already selling much more than Nintendo's mid-tier titles (i.e games not MK, Zelda..)

Nintendo is the apple of gaming. *shrugs

Eventually, the gravy train will end when there's not enough fans to sustain it. Nintendo will either adapt to what gamers want or they'll be segad.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Miyamotoo said:

That's a point, we don't know (offcourse it wouldnt sell 3x time better in any case), but what know for sure is that Switch is selling great and espacily Nintendo Switch games, not to mentione crazy legs of Nintendo games with full price point, so Nintendo dont have reason to change price point.

On certain games, sure. But not lowering the price will just make people choose the one they want the most. Instead of getting Zelda and trying out Arms. They just get the game in the franchise they know (Zelda) and forget about Arms. Now Nintendo have the same amount of Zelda fans and 1 less Arms fan. Being a company that always try to reach as many people as possible, they sure don't care much about the people who cant afford many games. 

You can buy Zelda now and then Arms later. Problem solved. These sales do not exclude each other unless your entire budget lasts only one game.

Aeolus451 said:

Eventually, the gravy train will end when there's not enough fans to sustain it. Nintendo will either adapt to what gamers want or they'll be segad.

Gamers have unrealistic expectations. They want everything in best quality with all kinds of stuff packed in and all shiny shiny - but pay next to nothing for it.

Aeolus451 said:

It's been what? 35 years since the NES and they've been surviving and thriving since. Clearly the majority of the market don't care as they find the games are still worth their value after more than six months. They can still top the charts at that price, while even most heavily discounted games struggle to keep up with those kind of legs. Even Mario Kart Wii is at the 69th spot on Amazon 2018 video game best sellers list at $35. People are happy to pay for a quality game.

Also Nintendo Selects exists for the very purpose of forever lowering a 1st party's games price to around $19.99. Switch has just only been out barely longer than a year, most of it's big titles aren't even a year old yet.

Last edited by Green098 - on 09 June 2018

COKTOE said:

Sorry to pile on Pemalite, but it's currently available for $9.97 at Best Buy Canada. Sold out online, but it's in store in my city. It's an odd thing there's such a discrepancy in price. Australian prices are terrible, but Canada has had it's prices increase substantially since late 2013/early 2014. In the decade+ that preceded this increase, we were at parity with the U.S.

That's fine.
And it's all well and good to list prices for US, Canada, UK and so on... But... That's still not Australia. Haha

EB Games is currently having a half price sale on, so it's currently at $50 AUD, but when that ends it will jump back up to $100 AUD.
I just think it's nuts. But it is what it is.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

this is why its good to have options.