By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and its prices

Because titles like Zelda keep selling well long after release, and a title like HZD does not.

Around the Network

The collector's market on Nintendo games is insane. Plenty of SNES, N64, and GC games go for $50 used to this day. Nintendo knows this, and refuses to lower the price on their games, because the used games market refused to as well. And guess what? That in turn makes used Nintendo games even more valuable and just reinforces the policy Nintendo already has!

OTBWY said:
Because titles like Zelda keep selling well long after release, and a title like HZD does not.

I don't think this really covers the point though. Horizon has sold more than all but 2 Switch games and is still selling more than most. Meanwhile 1,2 Switch (not exactly selling like hot cakes) is still more expensive. 

That was always thing with Nintendo, and people know and expecting that,
they games always held full price very long time, you have here and there maybe some discount on eShop, but thats it until Nintendo start relasing them like part of Nintendo Selects line where they have price point around $20.
And no, Nintendo dont need lower price point of games, sales of Switch and espacily sales of Switch games proves that.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 09 June 2018

You guys are acting like every Nintendo game is Mario Kart lol.
They have 4 ever green titles on Switch atm (Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, MK)
Everything else is selling at a normal pace and mostly dead on the charts.

Meanwhile on PS4 Horizon was released over a year ago, selling 20k physical this weeks chart whilst having a permanent discount on every PSN store. GTA sits at number 14 on the charts and over 17m sold. Monster Hunter smashes past 4M in like 3months and can still manage a discount.

I mean its obviously a strategy by Nintendo, that goes without saying. But they could easily go either way... yes, their games are sold for higher value but I know I'm not the only one who really doesn't buy many Switch games because of this. Despite wanting to get 1,2 Switch its price never felt justifiable. Christmas came and it was literally Mario Kart 8 or Arms. If they had any kind of decent discount I would have bought both even if the net price was more because discounts also have a really strong psychological effort on buying habits. Nintendo can reap the rewards of either but they just so happen to taking least consumer friendly route. Ironic for the more family/kid targeted product.

Its not a moral debate but just quite frustrating as a fan of their stuff. When I moved out from home I had a chose to buy my own Switch or my own PS4 and I went for the PS4 because it just makes so much more financial sense.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
they games always held full price very long time, you have here and there maybe some discount on eShop, but thats it until Nintendo start relasing them like part of Nintendo Selects line,
And no, Nintendo dont need lower price point of games, sales of Switch and espacily sales of Switch games proves that.

Not really. Maybe the Switch games and the Switch itself would have sold 3 times as much by now. We don't know because they have never tried it.

I agree. I wanted a Switch to be able to trey out Zelda, but to my surprise it's almost the same price as a PS4 Pro here in Sweden at 350 Euros.

I can't justify putting 350 Euros on a console to play Zelda.

KLXVER said:
Miyamotoo said:
they games always held full price very long time, you have here and there maybe some discount on eShop, but thats it until Nintendo start relasing them like part of Nintendo Selects line,

Not really. Maybe the Switch games and the Switch itself would have sold 3 times as much by now. We don't know because they have never tried it.

That's a point, we don't know (offcourse it wouldnt sell 3x time better in any case), but what know for sure is that Switch is selling great and espacily Nintendo Switch games, not to mentione crazy legs of Nintendo games with full price point, so Nintendo dont have reason to change price point.

Miyamotoo said:
KLXVER said:

That's a point, we don't know (offcourse it wouldnt sell 3x time better in any case), but what know for sure is that Switch is selling great and espacily Nintendo Switch games, not to mentione crazy legs of Nintendo games with full price point, so Nintendo dont have reason to change price point.

On certain games, sure. But not lowering the price will just make people choose the one they want the most. Instead of getting Zelda and trying out Arms. They just get the game in the franchise they know (Zelda) and forget about Arms. Now Nintendo have the same amount of Zelda fans and 1 less Arms fan. Being a company that always try to reach as many people as possible, they sure don't care much about the people who cant afford many games. 

KLXVER said:
Miyamotoo said:

On certain games, sure. But not lowering the price will just make people choose the one they want the most. Instead of getting Zelda and trying out Arms. They just get the game in the franchise they know (Zelda) and forget about Arms. Now Nintendo have the same amount of Zelda fans and 1 less Arms fan. Being a company that always try to reach as many people as possible, they sure don't care much about the people who cant afford many games. 

Almost every Nintendo Switch release passed 1m in sales, ARMS in last report was on 1.85m thats quite good for new IP (and definatly not best game) in any case.

Offcourse it would be better for consumers if Nintendo has lower price point, difrent price points and price cuts for their games, but from their standpoint they dont need to that, and you just need to see Switch games sales numbers to see that.