By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and its prices

I fairly sure, but not certain, that many publishers did act the same way as Nintendo for most of their games until PS1 generation. SW prices peaked pretty high at that point, and then many started price cutting for more sales, an example being of the Greatest Hits series with Sony and PS1 games.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Unfortunately, Nintendo is the only publisher out there who rarely discounts their games. The industry standard is roughly a drop to $40 within 3 months of release, $30 within 6 months, and $20 within a year. But with Nintendo games, it's more like $40 after 2 or 3 years, then no further discounts after that. It's a real shame. The other publishers believe that the increased volume sales thanks to frequent discounts is worth making less per sale, and I tend to agree, more volume sales equals more total fans for an IP and therefore better sales for future games within that IP. Nintendo seems to disagree though sadly.

I'd love to buy Pokken Tournament DX when I get my Switch later this year, as well as it's DLC, but 10 months after release it's still $60 new, so I'd have to pay $75 to get the game and it's DLC, which I'm just not willing to pay. I also want to get Zelda once I get a Switch, but of course Zelda is such a massive game that $60 doesn't seem like such an unfair price for it, compared to $60 for Pokken.

I don't know if it applies to all AAA games, though. Even after like 6 months of initial release, I still noticed games like GTAV and Overwatch around $50-60 new for PS4Xbone, ~$40 used. Maybe its because I saw it at Best Buy or GameStop or something.

Ljink96 said:
alejollorente10 said:

Well, imagine if Zelda had a Goty Edition for 40 dollars, this would probably sell forever xD. As I said in my post, despite its price, Nintendo games still sell at an incredible rate. But of course, that's thanks, in large part, to the Nintendo fans. Those who are not so faithful do not usually follow the same trend. They see things in terms of prices. This is not about just selling more or less games, this is about boosting console sales. And you need to convince those who are not your fans, who are the majority. And you convince them with incredible games and being very cheap.

Well, that sounds great in theory but in practice it's trickier than you think. For myself, if something is cheaper than the competition or is cheaper than I would think, I don't buy it. It is like some sort of reverse psychology. I like to pay well for something I feel is quality. But yeah, that's just me.

I find that Nintendo's goal for appealing to a larger crowd isn't by artificially lowering prices, and again, that's the manufacturer's choice. But they rather make gameplay choices (like Pokemon Lets Go) to try and bring in new audiences. Similar to what they've done with Splatoon. When you've got for example, a banker like Kimishima running your company, slashing prices is a last resort, especially if your game is still selling. And Nintendo games are selling better than ever this generation. Zelda has become the best selling entry in the franchise, without a price drop but rather behind a philosophy of high quality games selling hardware.

I hear what you're saying, a Zelda GOTY edition would be great but Zelda is still selling very well. To cut the price so early is literally burning money. I feel that customers who know when they see a good game, will buy if. If it needs to be cheaper for you to buy it, you already probably aren't the most loyal Nintendo customer to begin with or not willing to be a longtime Nintendo consumer.

I do not need the games to have discounts to buy them, at least in the case of Nintendo. I bought Bayonetta 2 in Switch on day 1 despite not having the console and having it and having played it on Wii U. I set an example with Sony as an example of how you could convince someone who has never been a fan. If you sell more consoles, you will sell more games. And if someone bought, 3 or 4 games a year, with discounts maybe you can buy 10 or 12. And probably those 7 or 9 additional games would not have bought them if they were not discounted. But again, if your games are cheaper, you are going to sell more consoles. If you sell more consoles, you sell more games.

Currently, what people think of Nintendo products is that they are very expensive and that should change. With Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze people talked more about the price than about the quality of the game (one of my favorite games ever) and whether you want it or not, that affects the image of the company, because people imagine that Nintendo is very expensive and inaccessible.

Last edited by alejollorente10 - on 08 June 2018

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Kai_Mao said:
shikamaru317 said:

Unfortunately, Nintendo is the only publisher out there who rarely discounts their games. The industry standard is roughly a drop to $40 within 3 months of release, $30 within 6 months, and $20 within a year. But with Nintendo games, it's more like $40 after 2 or 3 years, then no further discounts after that. It's a real shame. The other publishers believe that the increased volume sales thanks to frequent discounts is worth making less per sale, and I tend to agree, more volume sales equals more total fans for an IP and therefore better sales for future games within that IP. Nintendo seems to disagree though sadly.

I'd love to buy Pokken Tournament DX when I get my Switch later this year, as well as it's DLC, but 10 months after release it's still $60 new, so I'd have to pay $75 to get the game and it's DLC, which I'm just not willing to pay. I also want to get Zelda once I get a Switch, but of course Zelda is such a massive game that $60 doesn't seem like such an unfair price for it, compared to $60 for Pokken.

I don't know if it applies to all AAA games, though. Even after like 6 months of initial release, I still noticed games like GTAV and Overwatch around $50-60 new for PS4Xbone, ~$40 used. Maybe its because I saw it at Best Buy or GameStop or something.

Yeah, definitely not all, more like an average, some of the really popular games from other publishers stay at higher prices for longer, and the Japanese 3rd party publishers tend to not drop quite as fast as the western publisher do, but eventually they all hit $20 at some point. Unlike Nintendo games, it is rare to see them lower than $40 even several years later.

The rule applies for most games, especially for western publishers, for instance Shadow of War and South Park 2 both released last October, about 8 months ago, and they are going for $33 and $26 respectively on Amazon right now. Far Cry 5 released 3 months ago and it's going for $39 on Amazon right now. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 08 June 2018

Their prices so far on Switch has been insane. 60 bucks for years old ports. 50 bucks for games like 1 2 Switch and that IOS looking sushi game. 70 bucks for Labo. Combine that with their refusal to discount them and its just terrible. Soon we have to pay to play them online as well. Their greed is in high gear this gen.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Bristow9091 said:
Yeah that's always been a Nintendo thing, they hardly, if ever, drop the prices of their games, although I guess it's also up to retailers too... I'll admit it's stopped be buying more than a few games in the past because I've thought "I'll wait until it drops, not in a rush to play it", but then a year or so later I take a look and it's STILL full price... then all of a sudden my interest dwindles, in some cases it goes away completely. Although Nintendo aren't the only publisher guilty of this, although I'd definitely say the most notable, for me at least anyway.

Some games on other platforms are the same. Overwatch for instance is -still- $100 AUD despite launching a couple years ago.

Sorry to pile on Pemalite, but it's currently available for $9.97 at Best Buy Canada. Sold out online, but it's in store in my city. It's an odd thing there's such a discrepancy in price. Australian prices are terrible, but Canada has had it's prices increase substantially since late 2013/early 2014. In the decade+ that preceded this increase, we were at parity with the U.S.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/overwatch-origins-edition-ps4-bilingual/10400501.aspx

As for non-Nintendo games that have maintained a Nintendo-esque price throughout their life, I can't think of a better example from this gen than GTA V. It stayed at its launch price for approximately 3 years, which is even more remarkable considering it's status as a last-gen port. It's currently $29.99 at most retail outlets here.

-edit. What's with the font getting smaller as I typed? I have noticed this phenomenon in a fair amount of posts made by others recently as well.

-edit. Now it all uniform again.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

KLXVER said:
Their prices so far on Switch has been insane. 60 bucks for years old ports. 50 bucks for games like 1 2 Switch and that IOS looking sushi game. 70 bucks for Labo. Combine that with their refusal to discount them and its just terrible. Soon we have to pay to play them online as well. Their greed is in high gear this gen.

Yes and lately I have seen many people sell their Nintendo Switch because they can not keep buying the games with those prices. And in this type of products, what you should do as a company is to build loyalty, not motivate them to sell the console. It is clear that Nintendo as a company has to earn money but also have to give a little and make it more accessible to more people.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

alejollorente10 said:
Ljink96 said:

Well, that sounds great in theory but in practice it's trickier than you think. For myself, if something is cheaper than the competition or is cheaper than I would think, I don't buy it. It is like some sort of reverse psychology. I like to pay well for something I feel is quality. But yeah, that's just me.

I find that Nintendo's goal for appealing to a larger crowd isn't by artificially lowering prices, and again, that's the manufacturer's choice. But they rather make gameplay choices (like Pokemon Lets Go) to try and bring in new audiences. Similar to what they've done with Splatoon. When you've got for example, a banker like Kimishima running your company, slashing prices is a last resort, especially if your game is still selling. And Nintendo games are selling better than ever this generation. Zelda has become the best selling entry in the franchise, without a price drop but rather behind a philosophy of high quality games selling hardware.

I hear what you're saying, a Zelda GOTY edition would be great but Zelda is still selling very well. To cut the price so early is literally burning money. I feel that customers who know when they see a good game, will buy if. If it needs to be cheaper for you to buy it, you already probably aren't the most loyal Nintendo customer to begin with or not willing to be a longtime Nintendo consumer.

I do not need the games to have discounts to buy them, at least in the case of Nintendo. I bought Bayonetta 2 in Switch on day 1 despite not having the console and having it and having played it on Wii U. I set an example with Sony as an example of how you could convince someone who has never been a fan. If you sell more consoles, you will sell more games. And if someone bought, 3 or 4 games a year, with discounts maybe you can buy 10 or 12. And probably those 7 or 9 additional games would not have bought them if they were not discounted. But again, if your games are cheaper, you are going to sell more consoles. If you sell more consoles, you sell more games.

Currently, what people think of Nintendo products is that they are very expensive and that should change.

Again, this sounds great in theory but is not always the case. If it were indeed that Simple and beneficial, Nintendo would have dropped the price of Zelda to $5. I also explained how Nintendo is enticing people who never bought Nintendo games before. Nintendo, rather than artificially cut prices, would rather entice players with the game itself. And whoever they can get on board from seeing game play alone, that's more money for them.

Many people wonder why Nintendo's profits are usually so high without the need of an online service fee to bolster profits, and it's how they approach game sales. Like I said earlier, I think Nintendo would rather sell 10 $60 games than 20 $20 games, it makes them more of a profit and more than likely will make new fans of their games if they're willing to buy them at that price point, rather than quickly appealing to gamers who want cheaper games who more than likely aren't going to stay with them for the long haul, a.k.a "Casual gamers".

Nintendo gave away Mario Sunshine as a pack in when I bought it, didn't change the situation that the GameCube had. Slashing prices is an art, you have to have an internal reason to do so on the digital front. But again, as it has been mentioned, Nintendo only gives a Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price for a game like Zelda BOTW to be $60. The retailer, if they wanted could make Zelda cost $1 the day of launch. Nintendo at that point has made their money back. If a retailer is trying to make their money back, they're not going to drop the price unless the game just really isn't selling so that they can recoup their losses to an extent.

Now, Nintendo could release a BOTW GOTY edition, or a Nintendo Selects version of the game down the line in the future, sure. We don't know that they aren't doing that yet. I just think the overarching thing that we don't understand is that Nintendo is once Nintendo sells their shipments, they made their money. It's up to retailers to change the prices. There's not much we can do about that.

HOWEVER

I do feel that at the end of the day, Nintendo should discount a game like Zelda or Odyssey on the digital eshop because they are not manufacturing anything for that cost to remain high, year after year. I do want them to rethink how they treat their digital software prices. And like I said, maybe that changes with the online service coming in September.

KLXVER said:

Yes, it sucks to pay 60 bucks for Donkey Kong, and 1-2 Switch, and Labo...but people are still buying them! That's literally the only reason they don't drop in price. Blame Nintendo...eh. I'd be blaming the users for actually buying the games at those price points. Nintendo has just in general never received that memo from the audience. I think if those games were selling like crap, the manufacturers would have to drop the price but since they're selling at 60 bucks, it's like why cut the price.

People say, vote with your wallet...and they are, they're buying it, lol

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 08 June 2018

They have no need to drop their prices when they're selling millions of copies at full price even years later, that'd be foolish from a business standpoint. I mean Nintendo didn't get that reputation for having a huge "war chest" during the Wii era for nothing. But I do think they should lower the prices of their more mid-tier games like 1 2 Switch, ARMS, Pokken Tournament, Fire Emblem Warriors, etc to increase the userbase a bit and keep us Switch owners more satisfied.