By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and its prices

chakkra said:
GoOnKid said:

Do you have examples of people defending the prices? If you happen to think that I or some other posters in this thread did - we didn't. We explained that they follow a different strategy, with all its ups and downs.

" Other publishers double harm themselves by cutting into their own profits and by deflecting the quality of their own products. Customers nowadays fully expect discounts and to some degree have adapted their purchase behaviours accordingly. It's a negative trend set by the publishers themselves." 

"You buy a Nintendo game when you are ready for it, and I believe that customers will enjoy games more if they truly want to purchase them instead of buying them when they happen to be on sale."

"You may agree or disagree with Nintendo's strategy. It's successful, however."

Your way of explaining things does come across as defending if you ask me, but I guess that is open to interpretation.  My apologies if that was not the case.

And there was another user here that went to say that he actually enjoy games more when he pays full price for them.  That's a logic that I'm not even gonna try to understand.

And this person totally ignored that several (probably most) of the AAA games sell on par or even better than most of Nintendo own titles... and they mostly sell at their full price.

Perhaps in Steam (don't know their sales curve) people keep waiting for the price cuts because they are very early, still on consoles most of the sales happen FW and FM while another chunck on full price still on the FY. The discounted and gold editions with DLC is more like bonus sells than loses because people held to later.

If people really held for discounts we would see the trend in the sales (which we don't) and no one would go to movie theaters since they could save a lot waiting to watch on netflix or pirate. People usually want to see the entretainment as soon as possible. And the DLCs also help the publishers to keep the game relevant for longer, prevent some of the second market sales and get added revenue (which makes it easier to sell at the discount and recover with DLC sales). But for some reason every single company is dumb (and hate Nintendo) and that is the reason only Nintendo keep their prices (would be great to see NVidia keeping the price of their GPUs 5y after launch or Ford to sell a 2015 model for the same price of the 2018).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Medisti said:
It's a bad example. Horizon hasn't been a huge seller in months, whereas Zelda is still in the Top 10 quite often. They made a cheap GOTY edition to drive some extra sales. Zelda doesn't need that yet.

Because Zelda and Horizon would sell the same if they used the same strategy ¬¬"

Guess we should use CoD against Splatoon as counter?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

AlfredoTurkey said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Taking all my physical games with me to the grave! https://imgur.com/a/1ijcw (Horribly out of date pics of my collection.)

You have great taste sir! I noticed that you seem to buy your Genesis games CIB but not your SNES. I do the exact same thing and I don't know why other than maybe because as a kid, we all threw out the cardboard boxes and I'm mentally conditioned to just not care about them? lol

CIB Genesis is easy to get, thanks to plastic cases. CIB SNES is always a hundred dollars or more for anything decent. 

Medisti said:
It's a bad example. Horizon hasn't been a huge seller in months, whereas Zelda is still in the Top 10 quite often. They made a cheap GOTY edition to drive some extra sales. Zelda doesn't need that yet.

Yes, we know that Zelda BOTW still sells at a great pace and is probably one of the few games where people do not mind paying the full price but what would happen if Nintendo releases a "Goty Edition" for $ 40 that includes the season pass? that would probably cause a generalized reaction like "WOW reduce the price of a game that does not need it? It seems that Nintendo will change its prices and if this is definitely worth buying the switch." And this is what it would aim at, not to improve the sales of Zelda BOTW, but to boost sales of the console and as a consequence of other games. To change that vision that people have of "Nintendo is too exclusive and expensive" and to see it as something more accessible. This could be a first step to the future if Nintendo decides to return to take out a console that competes in power with Sony and Microsoft, the transition can be even easier.

Last edited by alejollorente10 - on 10 June 2018

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Mar1217 said:
alejollorente10 said:

Yes, we know that Zelda BOTW still sells at a great pace and is probably one of the few games where people do not mind paying the full price but what would happen if Nintendo releases a "Goty Edition" for $ 40 that includes the season pass? that would probably cause a generalized reaction like "WOW reduce the price of a game that does not need it? It seems that Nintendo will change its prices and if this is definitely worth buying the switch." And this is what it would aim at, not to improve the sales of Zelda BOTW, but to boost sales of the console and as a consequence of other games. To change that vision that people have of "Nintendo is too exclusive and expensive" and to see it as something more accessible. This could be a first step to the future if Nintendo decides to return to take out a console that competes in power with Sony and Microsoft, the transition can be even easier.

Actually, they'll probably use the "Nintendo Select" brand again instead and sell it at 30$ instead. That's how major discount have work with Nintendo so far since the beginning of this gen.

Yes, but that would be a few games. I refer to a price reduction in all its exclusives.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Around the Network

I can relate somewhat to what the OP is saying.  I remember I wanted Kirby on the Wii and I kept waiting for the price to drop.  New price never dropped.  Used price never dropped.  No Nintendo Selects.  Eventually I just lost interest.  I do think it is smart of Nintendo to keep their prices up as long as possible, but once a game is 3+ years old it should definitely get a Nintendo Selects or something like it.  They aren't going to make money on most of those 3+ year old titles.  (Although there are a few evergreen exceptions.)

I do worry a lot more about third parties on the PS4 and XB1 though.  Their prices drop way too fast.  Ten years ago prices would often be $60 at launch, and $30 after 1 year.  I actually thought that was too fast of a drop but now it is worse.  Now it is more like $60 at launch, $40 after three months and $20 after a year.  That is some really desperate pricing.  Really, a three month old game is still current.  I'm sure these companies could make a lot more money if they polished their games up like Nintendo and then just kept the price up.  Nintendo is known in the industry for making amazing profits.  These other companies seem like they are just trying to stay afloat. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I can relate somewhat to what the OP is saying.  I remember I wanted Kirby on the Wii and I kept waiting for the price to drop.  New price never dropped.  Used price never dropped.  No Nintendo Selects.  Eventually I just lost interest.  I do think it is smart of Nintendo to keep their prices up as long as possible, but once a game is 3+ years old it should definitely get a Nintendo Selects or something like it.  They aren't going to make money on most of those 3+ year old titles.  (Although there are a few evergreen exceptions.)

I do worry a lot more about third parties on the PS4 and XB1 though.  Their prices drop way too fast.  Ten years ago prices would often be $60 at launch, and $30 after 1 year.  I actually thought that was too fast of a drop but now it is worse.  Now it is more like $60 at launch, $40 after three months and $20 after a year.  That is some really desperate pricing.  Really, a three month old game is still current.  I'm sure these companies could make a lot more money if they polished their games up like Nintendo and then just kept the price up.  Nintendo is known in the industry for making amazing profits.  These other companies seem like they are just trying to stay afloat. 

Except we know that most of their sales is made on the first month or so, so their price dropping in 6-12 months isn't much of an issue and that also supports their sale of DLC.

Cars don't become a lot worse in 12 months, still their price drop fast as well.

You can't win that battle. Nintendo fans are happy to pay $60 for 10 year old games, or even more. If Nintendo had the balls to rise to price to $70 citing expensive cartridges as the reason, most Nintendo fans would eat that up. The best thing to do if you really like Nintendo games, like me, is to stick with some key releases. I only have Mario Odyssey and Zelda BotW and I don't plan to buy any other Nintendo game until they release the next GOTY or put their games on the Nintendo Selects brand. Am I losing a lot by not playing Splatoon 2 or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze? Maybe, but I'm still having the Nintendo experience without feeling ripped off and with my money I can buy PS4 games that are cheaper and actually much better.