By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and its prices

People complain about Nintendo but queue in line for hours for the next iphone and/or Apple product...

Around the Network
Rocketjay8 said:
Nem said:
Nintendo pays a security fee so retailers can't easily slash their prices. Why? I guess because they think that will lead you to not feel punished for buying at launch. But, this also means they will see less sales.
They still sell gangbusters though, so wether it's worth it or not, i don't know.

Wut?

I don't remember where i learned that but i did. Sorry, don't have a source. You don't have to believe it.

I may have said it wrong and the fee may be paid to the logistics companies instead. It likely is. But, i know that's is why the prices don't get slashed until years later. Nintendo actually pays more than other companies to ensure that happens.

I mean, surely you can understand that is real. It's not retailers selectively choosing to keep Nintendo games at high price in the shelves for so long. Example: Paper Mario. It was a sales disaster in the end of the Wii U's life, but they never slashed the price. If that happened in any other system the price would have quickly dropped. You can also see like 3DS games at max price for years. Notice it's always the Nintendo games. The third party games get their prices slashed. This happens even in the best games in the most popular consoles. There had to be a catch right?

Last edited by Nem - on 09 June 2018

Also, how can anyone complain about having to shell out 300 for the Switch itself first? This is not even an argument, you have to buy ALL consoles first, no matter which one.

Smh

I'll be curious if anything changes now that Furukawa will be the new Nintendo President.

Cerebralbore101 said:
The collector's market on Nintendo games is insane. Plenty of SNES, N64, and GC games go for $50 used to this day. Nintendo knows this, and refuses to lower the price on their games, because the used games market refused to as well. And guess what? That in turn makes used Nintendo games even more valuable and just reinforces the policy Nintendo already has!

I remember when it wasn't like that (used old games being overpriced). Back in 2000, I was buying NES and SNES games by the dozen, and not just ANY games mind you, the great ones, and they were no more than twelve dollars a piece. Consoles were anywhere between twenty five and forty dollars, max... no one wanted the stuff. Hell, I bought Megaman 1-6, the complete collection for NES back then for about five dollars a piece at Funcoland (now Gamestop) lol.

The prices for use games are ridiculous now. 

Around the Network

AlfredoTurkey said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
The collector's market on Nintendo games is insane. Plenty of SNES, N64, and GC games go for $50 used to this day. Nintendo knows this, and refuses to lower the price on their games, because the used games market refused to as well. And guess what? That in turn makes used Nintendo games even more valuable and just reinforces the policy Nintendo already has!

I remember when it wasn't like that (used old games being overpriced). Back in 2000, I was buying NES and SNES games by the dozen, and not just ANY games mind you, the great ones, and they were no more than twelve dollars a piece. Consoles were anywhere between twenty five and forty dollars, max... no one wanted the stuff. Hell, I bought Megaman 1-6, the complete collection for NES back then for about five dollars a piece at Funcoland (now Gamestop) lol.

You are preaching to the choir on that one. Back in 07 SNES games bottomed out hardcore thanks to the Wii Virtual Console. I made out like gangbusters. Earthbound for $50, Super Metroid for $12, Final Fantasy III for $20. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

AlfredoTurkey said:

You are preaching to the choir on that one. Back in 07 SNES games bottomed out hardcore thanks to the Wii Virtual Console. I made out like gangbusters. Earthbound for $50, Super Metroid for $12, Final Fantasy III for $20. 

Hopefully you're like me and those fuckers are going with you to the grave!

AlfredoTurkey said: 

Taking all my physical games with me to the grave! https://imgur.com/a/1ijcw (Horribly out of date pics of my collection.)

Cerebralbore101 said:

AlfredoTurkey said: 

Taking all my physical games with me to the grave! https://imgur.com/a/1ijcw (Horribly out of date pics of my collection.)

You have great taste sir! I noticed that you seem to buy your Genesis games CIB but not your SNES. I do the exact same thing and I don't know why other than maybe because as a kid, we all threw out the cardboard boxes and I'm mentally conditioned to just not care about them? lol

It's a bad example. Horizon hasn't been a huge seller in months, whereas Zelda is still in the Top 10 quite often. They made a cheap GOTY edition to drive some extra sales. Zelda doesn't need that yet.