By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and its prices

Just let say Nintendo is not clean like what people believe, they also sometimes make a mistake and doing shady business a long with SONY and Microsoft. For the example you can see how much the price of the Wii U and many of their old gen consoles. They pricing is a bit of step and mimicking Apple product (overprice as hell)

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
chakkra said:

This

And I actually don't blame them.  Nintendo fans not only keep buying their products at those prices but also go to great lengths to defend said prices.

What do you mean?

I'm not sure what you need me to explain. It's a pretty straightforward statement.

NightlyPoe said:

Here it is simply:

The video game industry has taught its consumers that they do not need to pay full price for a game. They can wait a year or two, get it for half off or so including all the DLC.  This has changed purchasing behavior to a wait and see model for many consumers.

Nintendo likes money. They like selling their products for full price. So, they keep games at full price for much longer than other companies in order to train their consumers that a price drop is unlikely. This disincentivizes from waiting. So Nintendo games sell well straight out of the box and continue to sell well long afterwards despite no drop in price.

This is psychologically nice for consumers because they can buy a full-priced Nintendo game at launch without feeling like a sucker. Here's my thought process when it comes to a 3rd party, Sony, and Microsoft games:

1. Oh, I want this.
  2. It'd be fun to play this, but if I get it now, I'll have to pay for the DLC. I don't want to do that.
  3. If I wait a year or two, it'll be cheaper and I'll get the whole game.
  4. Wait a year or two.
  5. The game is cheap now, but do I still want it?

Here is the thought process for purchasing a Nintendo game.

1. Oh, I want this.
  2. Preorder game on Amazon Prime, get the $12 discount and be happy with that.

That's so much simpler. Even though I'm generally paying more for Nintendo games, I'm generally happier with my purchases because I have little fear of missing out by delaying my gratification. I'm not playing a giant game of chicken with the company. They've told me their policies and I can live with them.

Every time I see an obvious Nintendo fanboy trying to defend Nintendo I can't help but cringe and ignore everything they say. I am sorry :(

- Moderated, Carl

Last edited by Carl - on 09 June 2018

Eh, I can only speak for myself, but when looking to buy a console the first thing I look is the number of exclusive games it has that I really want to play, with the next thing beign the appeal (in the Switch case, it sucks) and price of the console itself, never do I pay attention to the price of the games.

I also believe that the price of Nintendo games is fair for the most part and I don't mind them not beign discounted as time passes, if I really want a game I'm willing to pay full price for it no matter if it's day one or two years after release. They do have some greedy decisions like charging $ 60 instead of the original $ 50 for a barely improved port, like DKTC, but those are rare cases and not the norm, Bayonetta 1 + 2 for example had the same price the Wii U version had at launch.

That said, with the laughable concept of the Switch I do worry that them and other companies will try to pass games that were developed with a handheld budget as home console games and charging $ 60 for them 'cause the tablet you're using to play them now is also a "home console" (hello, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate)

pokoko said:
This is why I'm of the opinion that Nintendo doesn't actually want "full" third party support. They want enough to be a popular option, of course, but I don't think they'll ever court publishers and developers like their competition. Nintendo is a software company that uses hardware to sell games. Sony and Microsoft use games to sell hardware and related services.

Since Nintendo never discounts their SW, wouldn't that create a better environment for third-parties to do so with their product and in turn gain more sales? Sony and MS discounting their SW over time makes it more competitive with other third-party/etc. SW, while, according to this OP, turns people away from buying Nintendo's SW.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
GoOnKid said:

What do you mean?

I'm not sure what you need me to explain. It's a pretty straightforward statement.

Do you have examples of people defending the prices? If you happen to think that I or some other posters in this thread did - we didn't. We explained that they follow a different strategy, with all its ups and downs.

I blame Steam for this entire debate.

The prices slash so often on that thing...

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

This have been discussed a lot of times. No-Nintendo fans think it's abusive, some Nintendo fans agree and others support the practice and say that Nintendo games are more valuable and deserve to keep the price for longer.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KilleyMc said:
Eh, I can only speak for myself, but when looking to buy a console the first thing I look is the number of exclusive games it has that I really want to play, with the next thing beign the appeal (in the Switch case, it sucks) and price of the console itself, never do I pay attention to the price of the games.

I also believe that the price of Nintendo games is fair for the most part and I don't mind them not beign discounted as time passes, if I really want a game I'm willing to pay full price for it no matter if it's day one or two years after release. They do have some greedy decisions like charging $ 60 instead of the original $ 50 for a barely improved port, like DKTC, but those are rare cases and not the norm, Bayonetta 1 + 2 for example had the same price the Wii U version had at launch.

That said, with the laughable concept of the Switch I do worry that them and other companies will try to pass games that were developed with a handheld budget as home console games and charging $ 60 for them 'cause the tablet you're using to play them now is also a "home console" (hello, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate)

Most games, even more for non-Nintendo, sell most of their SW at full price, with the big bulk on FW and FM (like half of sales being 1st month). The prices usually drop after 6-12m at that point they would have sold most of the SW already and the gold edition with dlc and discounted is bonus sales.

GoOnKid said:
chakkra said:

Do you have examples of people defending the prices? If you happen to think that I or some other posters in this thread did - we didn't. We explained that they follow a different strategy, with all its ups and downs.

We had a thread about it less than 2 months ago, go there and you'll see people defending it. And you just saw someone on this same page doing it with the guise of "Nintendo doesn't need defense, I'm just explaining the logic";

KrspaceT said:
I blame Steam for this entire debate.

The prices slash so often on that thing...

Console games (except Nintendo) have had discounts long before Steam.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nintendo games as a rule of thumb hold their value as they're often described as Timeless classics, it's a strange one but it basically means if you want to buy a copy of the new Pokemon game you might as well buy it at launch because it's unlikely that waiting a few months will grant you the discount which places like Sony / MS often offer with their own Software.

Helps them get great day 1 sales to break records and such because if you go and find any of the 3ds versions of pokemon right now new on store shelves you'll probably find them at a price similar to day one.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive