By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and its prices

Miyamotoo said:
KLXVER said:

On certain games, sure. But not lowering the price will just make people choose the one they want the most. Instead of getting Zelda and trying out Arms. They just get the game in the franchise they know (Zelda) and forget about Arms. Now Nintendo have the same amount of Zelda fans and 1 less Arms fan. Being a company that always try to reach as many people as possible, they sure don't care much about the people who cant afford many games. 

Almost every Nintendo Switch release passed 1m in sales, ARMS in last report was on 1.85m thats quite good for new IP (and definatly not best game) in any case.

Offcourse it would be better for consumers if Nintendo has lower price point, difrent price points and price cuts for their games, but from their standpoint they dont need to that, and you just need to see Switch games sales numbers to see that.

Yeah, its sold 1.85 million. Now what? Is that good enough? Now maybe Arms 2 comes out and you have a more limited audience. Of those 1.85 million, maybe 1 million really enjoyed it and Arms 2 does 1 million. Why not expand your audience even more? Especially on new IPs.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Miyamotoo said:

Almost every Nintendo Switch release passed 1m in sales, ARMS in last report was on 1.85m thats quite good for new IP (and definatly not best game) in any case.

Offcourse it would be better for consumers if Nintendo has lower price point, difrent price points and price cuts for their games, but from their standpoint they dont need to that, and you just need to see Switch games sales numbers to see that.

Yeah, its sold 1.85 million. Now what? Is that good enough? Now maybe Arms 2 comes out and you have a more limited audience. Of those 1.85 million, maybe 1 million really enjoyed it and Arms 2 does 1 million. Why not expand your audience even more? Especially on new IPs.

Yeah, its good enugh for new IP and game that actualy isnt great (its good game but not great like some other Switch games), and ARMS will keep selling also with that price point, 1.85m will not be final sale. You could said that for every game, but reality is if some game is already selling good and you are satisfied with those sales numbers you dont need lower price point.

Miyamotoo said:
KLXVER said:

Yeah, its good enugh for new IP and game that actualy isnt great (its good game but not great like some other Switch games), and ARMS will keep selling also with that price point, 1.85m will not be final sale. You could said that for every game, but reality is if some game is already selling good and you are satisfied with those sales numbers you dont need lower price point.

Well if you are satisfied, then why not lower the price? 

Pemalite said:
Bristow9091 said:
Yeah that's always been a Nintendo thing, they hardly, if ever, drop the prices of their games, although I guess it's also up to retailers too... I'll admit it's stopped be buying more than a few games in the past because I've thought "I'll wait until it drops, not in a rush to play it", but then a year or so later I take a look and it's STILL full price... then all of a sudden my interest dwindles, in some cases it goes away completely. Although Nintendo aren't the only publisher guilty of this, although I'd definitely say the most notable, for me at least anyway.

Some games on other platforms are the same. Overwatch for instance is -still- $100 AUD despite launching a couple years ago.

its on sale at $50 ebgames mid year sale

I like that Nintendo doesn't cut the prices of there games. It means they retain there value and when I buy them at launch I won't feel like an idiot later if I haven't beaten it and it gets a price cut. I somewhat wish 3rd parties would take from Nintendo's example because I was not happy when I bought South Park for the Switch only for the damn game to get a discount not even a month later.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Miyamotoo said:

They are satisfied with sales with current price point, and game continue to selling with current price point, they dont see reason not to mention need for lower price point.

Miyamotoo said:
KLXVER said:

They are satisfied with sales with current price point, and game continue to selling with current price point, they dont see reason not to mention need for lower price point.

I rather believe the "keeping the price makes the games seem more worth it" argument. I just don't get it. I don't think people who love Horizon or Bloodborne is any less great because the prices were cut 4 months later.

This is one of many things that put me off Nintendo. I came into possession of a wii(friend kinda threw it away), so I decided to buy some actual good games for it, Zelda, Mario etc... Well it turned out that these 10 year old games were selling for more than 40 dollars , some were even selling for more than 100 on amazon I am guessing because of scarcity. Ended up buying only monster huntert tri for like 28. Didnt really enjoy the game, the blurry graphics plus the horrible controllers havent aged well at all. Kinda put Nintendo in my "never touch" again box.

KLXVER said:
Miyamotoo said:

I rather believe the "keeping the price makes the games seem more worth it" argument. I just don't get it. I don't think people who love Horizon or Bloodborne is any less great because the prices were cut 4 months later.

Price argument don't have anything with point if some game is better than other, and we know that Nintendo operates quite different to rest of industry in most cases.

Otter said:
OTBWY said:
Because titles like Zelda keep selling well long after release, and a title like HZD does not.

I don't think this really covers the point though. Horizon has sold more than all but 2 Switch games and is still selling more than most. Meanwhile 1,2 Switch (not exactly selling like hot cakes) is still more expensive. 

Cause HZD had a price cut.