Forums - Gaming Discussion - Out of nowhere DEAD OR ALIVE 6 announced!

HomokHarcos said:
shikamaru317 said:

It all looks good except or the fact that they toned back jiggle physics and revealing outfits. Revealing outfits at least will be back I'm sure, as DLC, they made too much money from selling revealing outfit DLC for DoA 5 to not do them for DoA 6. Jiggle physics are ingrained in the engine though, we likely won't see them back until DoA 7. Maybe they'll return in the eventual DoA 6 port for PS5 and XB4 at least if enough people complain, DoA 5 Last Round made changes to the engine afterall, mainly to the skin tech to make skin look more realistic.

Starting character roster is meh, but they are announcing more soon thankfully, including new characters. As long as Hitomi and Marie Rose return I'll be happy. 

Did DOA5 have an option to turn jiggle physics off? I think they could do the same for DOA6 if that was the case. We already know they will try to release 1000 DLC costumes.

Yes. At least in DOA 5 Last Round. Not sure if that is possible in the last gen versions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U0lxcVKeCc

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Xxain said:

Totally hyperbole. Why dramatize it?

Like every fighting game ever, DOA6 will come with a special meter that when will full will allow you to perform a break combo or a break counter. The meter has to full (so it cant be spammed), It has to be timed, and they can  be countered. It says that.

I think @Angelus is more concerned about the Fatal Rush, not the Break Blow of Break Hold.

The Fatal Rush sounds like an auto-combo, which is fairly common in fighting games these days.
They're in Persona: Arena, Dragonball FighterZ and King of Fighters 14.

It's nothing to get upset over though. Basically what it does is perform a combo (that can end in a Super if your meter is full), allowing beginners to feel like they can achieve some cool moves in the game, before learning to play it more properly.
However, these combos are never optimal. That means that a player who does combos manually will not only be able to do more damage, build more meter, but also create better "set up" situations afterwards. (Where you force your opponent to guess or block an incoming attack after knocking them down)

Basically, someone who knows how to fight normally will always have an advantage over someone that relies on auto-combos.

Pretty much. It's not a deal breaker or anything, I just had to facepalm at the whole reasoning of "well mobile gamers got it easy with so little input, so why shouldn't we simplify all the things."

I mean I personally play very few fighting games, but it's really not very hard to come to grips with the basic mechanics of any of them if you just sit down and play it for a few minutes. What exactly is the lowest common denominator of hand-eye coordination, and basic sense we have to cater to here? 

Angelus said:
Hiku said:

I think @Angelus is more concerned about the Fatal Rush, not the Break Blow of Break Hold.

The Fatal Rush sounds like an auto-combo, which is fairly common in fighting games these days.
They're in Persona: Arena, Dragonball FighterZ and King of Fighters 14.

It's nothing to get upset over though. Basically what it does is perform a combo (that can end in a Super if your meter is full), allowing beginners to feel like they can achieve some cool moves in the game, before learning to play it more properly.
However, these combos are never optimal. That means that a player who does combos manually will not only be able to do more damage, build more meter, but also create better "set up" situations afterwards. (Where you force your opponent to guess or block an incoming attack after knocking them down)

Basically, someone who knows how to fight normally will always have an advantage over someone that relies on auto-combos.

Pretty much. It's not a deal breaker or anything, I just had to facepalm at the whole reasoning of "well mobile gamers got it easy with so little input, so why shouldn't we simplify all the things."

I mean I personally play very few fighting games, but it's really not very hard to come to grips with the basic mechanics of any of them if you just sit down and play it for a few minutes. What exactly is the lowest common denominator of hand-eye coordination, and basic sense we have to cater to here? 

It is indeed strange reasoning. Out of all the main fighting series, I'd say that DoA was already the most beginner friendly. Oh well, doesn't seem like a bad change, skilled players will still be able to easily punish the mashers with counters. 

Well from my experience when the opponent keeps performing quick punches even when you block them they still get the next hit and not the blocker.
Hiku said:
Metroid33slayer said:
Hopefully they change the mechanics because dead or alive is a game that rewards button bashing.

There's no proper fighting game that does that. Not if we're talking about people who have a fundamental understanding of the game. Fighting game developers haven't been in this business for decades without knowing about the basics of framedata.

Against people who have a fundamental understanding of the game, throwing out buttons with no plan is generally an extremely risky strategy because many moves are designed to be "negative, or punishable on block".
This is to prevent moves from being abused, whether by so called mashers, and pro players alike.

The latter means that if the move is blocked by the opponent, they are guaranteed to be able to retaliate before the masher can even block. The former means that the defender will be able to act before the attacker has recovered, meaning that if both players hit a button at the same time after the first move was blocked, the attacker will get Counter-hit. In other words, if the masher gets his attack blocked and he tries to attack again, he'll get hit instead, for counter-hit damage.
On top of that Dead or Alive has a parry system that gives the defender more options, but this is a risky tool, and not necessary against a masher.

If we're talking about beginners, then yeah some games reward button mashing more than others. But developers can't really design the game around those people. Instead they give them the tools to learn the game properly with training modes, tutorials, etc.

why arent the girls half naked ?

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network
kljesta64 said:

SJW's, lol.

shikamaru317 said:
kljesta64 said:

SJW's, lol.

And yet, the guys are still half naked. Very uncool. I demand equal treatment! Either everybody is half naked, or nobody!

shikamaru317 said:
Angelus said:

It is indeed strange reasoning. Out of all the main fighting series, I'd say that DoA was already the most beginner friendly. Oh well, doesn't seem like a bad change, skilled players will still be able to easily punish the mashers with counters. 

I thought that was for Smash Bros. :P

You do have a point, though. The fighting mechanics in DOA are not as complicated as say Tekken or Virtua Fighter and are considerably more accessible.

im excited for the game, even though I will kinda miss the over-the-top outfits the ladies usually wear (though DLC might be a thing). It’s a bit ironic, however, people go over the moon with women wearing bikinis or skimpy ninja outfits when the men have it made at times as well. I just hope the DLC isn’t as bad as 5, which was basically sucking the life out of your wallet if you want to see girls show even more skin. Yes it’s optional, but it’s kinda unsettling.

Wish these 3D fighters had actual 3 dimensional fighting, rather than left and right fights.

Angelus said:
twintail said:
All games are announced out of nowhere right?

there are hands on previews with IGN for this.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/08/e3-2018-dead-or-alive-6-first-hands-on-can-team-ninja-balance-familiar-and-fresh

Did anybody read this?

The game director basically says he wanted to build this game for scrubs who are only good at mobile games, built around just tapping the screen or pushing one button.

R1 on PS, and a bumper on Xbox are gonna be a noob button that has you execute super awesome combos if you just spam it, and if you build up a meter with it, you get to do a super fancy power attack/counter. Cool beans.

It's kind of always been that way. easy to perform combo attacks, but more difficult to do specials. Kind of like Soul Caliber.