By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Tennis Aces Online Tournament Demo Impressions!

Favorite character in the demo?

Mario 3 11.11%

Peach 6 22.22%

Yoshi 3 11.11%

Bowser 2 7.41%

Waluigi 4 14.81%

Toad 0 0%

Spike 3 11.11%

Rosalina 4 14.81%

Chain Chomp 2 7.41%

Total:27

It is not very responsive. a few too many command for my liking!

Switch!!!

Around the Network
vivster said:
Do you think it'll be fun for people who aren't interested in the deep mechanics?

There is a simple mode (including online) for those people. I personally learned the new mechanics very quickly and enjoy them a lot :)

So I suppose my only gripe with the game so far is of course the online. I'm not sure if Nintendo is taking Online seriously at all, I feel like during the testpunches and Splatests I never experienced lag spikes like this. Aces is supposed to be their online focused summer game yet i'm having matches with so much input delay that I literally can not return serves. I know its not me and for the most part it's ok in a lot of sets but it's annoying to have matches where 3/4's of the way through, I start getting hit with lag spikes. I would really like it if Nintendo handled it better, hopefully when NSO launches it's made better.

Other then that though, I love the game and need the full version quick!

Lonely_Dolphin said:
mZuzek said:

Most likely.

Also lol "stop button mashing". Easier to say than to do, when you're playing online and with input delay. You never know the exact timing for when you need to hit a button, so sometimes you just have to mash. Hell sometimes I mash even on Smash online, despite me being pretty good at that game if I say so myself. Either way, it doesn't excuse the game having such different actions mapped to the same button.

Easier to say than do you say, but I'm playing the same game you are. Besides you should mostly be going for charge shots, where your character will automatically hit the ball when it gets close (EDIT: Actually that might only be when it's fully charged, can't remember derp), especially with lobs/dropshots which aren't the most effective uncharged.

Xxain said:

I dont like the power abilities. They undermine the actual Tennis. I wouldn't care if they were a gauge per round, but that shit refills fast especially mastering trick shots. Spam galore. Hot tennis series does all this without the fluff and dramatic freezing and slow down pace breaking stuff.

Is this based on gameplay experience, cause in practice trick shots cannot be spammed, and filling your gauge is dependent on the actual tennis. It's a Mario Tennis game though so I don't think it's supposed to be actual tennis, but there is simple mode without the zone maneuvers.

There is no limit to the amount of times a trick shot can be used,  so therefore, it can be spamed. When mastered it can potential undermine the actual tennis. Every time a trick shot is successfully performed it builds the meter by 1/4. 4 successful shots in a row, and a full gauge. Im thinking in terms of the online environment. Both MK Wii and Smash Bro's both had their abused mechanics, when mastered, made the game reliant on those features to play competitively. Its an arcade Tennis game just like Hotshot's, but even still there should more focus on skill vs semi insta win crap.   

Outside that its fun. I foresee online being about trick shots and specials though.

Marth said:
My first impression: I am shit at this game and wished there was proper matchmaking.
While the game itself plays great geting destroyed by people who have hundreds of points already is annoying.

Same as me. I had some fun still in matches that I got quite long exchanges going before I was defeated, but some games are frustrating by that I am destroyed without getting the chance to put up a fight.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Xxain said:

There is no limit to the amount of times a trick shot can be used,  so therefore, it can be spamed. When mastered it can potential undermine the actual tennis. Every time a trick shot is successfully performed it builds the meter by 1/4. 4 successful shots in a row, and a full gauge. Im thinking in terms of the online environment. Both MK Wii and Smash Bro's both had their abused mechanics, when mastered, made the game reliant on those features to play competitively. Its an arcade Tennis game just like Hotshot's, but even still there should more focus on skill vs semi insta win crap.   

Outside that its fun. I foresee online being about trick shots and specials though.

The timing for it is very strict though, the opponent would have to be hitting the ball very slowly or you'd have to be very far from the net in order to do 4 in a row, otherwise you're just wasting energy or risking a point.

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 02 June 2018

Medisti said:
I played about twenty matches and didn't refuse any match-ups because I wanted to test lag.

Lag gives the person with a poor connection and ungodly advantage because the game is peer-to-peer. I was full bars (since I have my Switch connected via an Ethernet adapter) and my opponent was two, and there was this 1-2 second delay when I would hit the button and when I would swing. Kind of scary this guy was in the third of four tiers of the tourney. So, lag is the way to go if you want to win.

Matches without lag were tons of fun, though, especially when a long volley got going with tons of Zone Shots, a blocked special, and whatever the time slowing down move is called.
For the most part I don't think it's the players fault. I just played a lot of games consecutively for once and noticed a rather frequent amount of lag issues. Looking at the experinces of others, it seems to be the same deal for everyone, thus the fault is on Nintendo and Mario Tennis, probably bad netcode or something as their other online games aren't this bad. Really hope they fix this, game is amazing otherwise.

Xxain said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Easier to say than do you say, but I'm playing the same game you are. Besides you should mostly be going for charge shots, where your character will automatically hit the ball when it gets close (EDIT: Actually that might only be when it's fully charged, can't remember derp), especially with lobs/dropshots which aren't the most effective uncharged.

Is this based on gameplay experience, cause in practice trick shots cannot be spammed, and filling your gauge is dependent on the actual tennis. It's a Mario Tennis game though so I don't think it's supposed to be actual tennis, but there is simple mode without the zone maneuvers.

Sorry I meant successfully spam them. The precise distance and timing needed make trick shots uber hard to pull off on top of being high risk since you'll either lose the rally or lose energy if you're not exact. Most players from what I've seen have resigned to using them to reach far off shots, not expecting to gain energy but just to hit the ball. If they happen to land the trick shot perfectly is just a bonus.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Medisti said:
I played about twenty matches and didn't refuse any match-ups because I wanted to test lag.

Lag gives the person with a poor connection and ungodly advantage because the game is peer-to-peer. I was full bars (since I have my Switch connected via an Ethernet adapter) and my opponent was two, and there was this 1-2 second delay when I would hit the button and when I would swing. Kind of scary this guy was in the third of four tiers of the tourney. So, lag is the way to go if you want to win.

Matches without lag were tons of fun, though, especially when a long volley got going with tons of Zone Shots, a blocked special, and whatever the time slowing down move is called.
For the most part I don't think it's the players fault. I just played a lot of games consecutively for once and noticed a rather frequent amount of lag issues. Looking at the experinces of others, it seems to be the same deal for everyone, thus the fault is on Nintendo and Mario Tennis, probably bad netcode or something as their other online games aren't this bad. Really hope they fix this, game is amazing otherwise.

The netcode seems awful. No two ways about it. And Nintendo expects us to pay for this soon.

But, the actual game itself is a blast. I just hope the online gets sorted out and runs more smoothly with an update or something.

Shaqazooloo0 said:
So I suppose my only gripe with the game so far is of course the online. I'm not sure if Nintendo is taking Online seriously at all, I feel like during the testpunches and Splatests I never experienced lag spikes like this. Aces is supposed to be their online focused summer game yet i'm having matches with so much input delay that I literally can not return serves. I know its not me and for the most part it's ok in a lot of sets but it's annoying to have matches where 3/4's of the way through, I start getting hit with lag spikes. I would really like it if Nintendo handled it better, hopefully when NSO launches it's made better.

Other then that though, I love the game and need the full version quick!

I fully agree. Nintendo has to fixed their online service asap. I think the mechanics are great, but right now, I can't have a proper match with a delay of 1-3 seconds of button inputs. 

And who's idea was to map the special movement which is on the R-Stick also to the X button? That's beyond stupid. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Did yal know you can use video capture on the demo?

View on YouTube

That there was my longest rally so far, extremely satisfying to come out on top of it! Also Peach is pretty much my main right now, I just like knowing my shots are bit more sharp.

mZuzek said:
trick shots which completely ruin the game in my opinion
Thou must explain!