By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Tennis Aces Online Tournament Demo Impressions!

Favorite character in the demo?

Mario 3 11.11%

Peach 6 22.22%

Yoshi 3 11.11%

Bowser 2 7.41%

Waluigi 4 14.81%

Toad 0 0%

Spike 3 11.11%

Rosalina 4 14.81%

Chain Chomp 2 7.41%

Total:27
Mar1217 said:

Nah. I tried to do it a few times when I was at full energy but nothing came out ... I guess there's maybe a way to time it out. I think I'm gonna go pratice with the CPU lol.

Also, it's a nice bonus to get a 1st Round Bye when you win an online tournament :) 

Lucky, can't fully enjoy the game just yet, I'm still holding for dear life on semis until I get an opponent with more than 2 bars, but I guess I'll try it on one bar at some point before the demo ends.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Took me 6 tries but I finally got it !

Though the last 3 points in my final suddenly had a festlag at the worst moment during match point ... ugh. Still won, but yeah, it definitely is annoying to go against 1 bar players.

So far, the core mechanics are SO-LID and the potential to strategize are way more diverse than previous games, even though I still struggle with the trick shots cuz I don't use them often.

Also, did someone ever go against the serve zone shot ? I'm trying to do it but I can't make it work :/

You press R to toss and then press A. (Instead of A + A)

I didn't experience any issues with the connection, but the matchmaking sucks big time. When I just started, 7 out of 10 games I was matched against 2000+ points players. That translated to 7 loses. I managed to win 2 games, but only once played against the player on my level. I'm no expert in tennis and don't really care much about tennis games, so no hard feelings, but I can see it very discouraging and frustrating for other people ... especially if they're feeling a little competitive.

Anyways, this isn't my cup of tea, so I might pick it up later if I see it discounted. It's probably fun party game, but I don't think there's local coop option in the demo, so I can't tell how does the two player option works like, but knowing Nintendo, it will be fun for sure.

Edit: What I don't understand is why when I go to the online tournament, the game asks me, if I want to search for other players? No, I just came here to stare at the empty tournament tree! 

Last edited by Kristof81 - on 03 June 2018

morenoingrato said:

I've found that Peach can be killer and she can hold on her own well against Chain Chomps.
Also, Chain Chomp is OP but a nice strategy is go straight for its racket.

By now I'm at 27 Tournament Wins, 129 wins, 11 losses and 30575 points lul.

I think it's too early to call anyone OP, except you though damn! I'm doing good myself, 53-5 with 10 tourney wins so definitely not a noob anymore!

Mar1217 said:
You really can't play against Chomp-Chain if you have 1 bar.
I wonder if that's why I've seen an up tick in their usage, people trying to take advantage of the lag for cheesy victorys. I faced 3 in a row during my last tournament, but unfortunately for them the connection was buttery smooth!

Kristof81 said:

I didn't experience any issues with the connection, but the matchmaking sucks big time. When I just started, 7 out of 10 games I was matched against 2000+ points players. That translated to 7 loses. I managed to win 2 games, but only once played against the player on my level. I'm no expert in tennis and don't really care much about tennis games, so no hard feelings, but I can see it very discouraging and frustrating for other people ... especially if they're feeling competitive.

Well atleast people who've won a tournament start at round 2 from then on, so new players are more likely to face other new players in round 1. Still, matchmaking based on points shoulda been implemented.

Around the Network

I didn't encounter 1 Chain Chomp player at all during my time with the game. It's weird because I played against everybody else in the demo atleast 2 times.

The one bar cheesers are why I am glad that the game lets you know the connection strength with the option to decline the challenger at no penalty.

I've enjoyed it a lot. Haven't won a tournament, just been unlucky enough to run into really darn good players right at the end. But I'm still positive in my W-L and markedly over 50%. The gameplay is really fun and requires quick thinking. If the single player is as substantial as it seems to be, this will be quite a good addition to my library.

It's fun, but it's less a tennis game than I would have wanted with all the power shots and slowing time. Serve and volley doesn't seem to be an option. And Rosalina and Chain Chomp seem to be OP. The only times I was able to beat them, I was playing with one of them ;) When I play wit Rosalina, it happens a lot that the opponent rejects the game. I can't blame them ;)

Currently at 13127 points
6 tournament wins
81 wins
29 losses
110 matches
Really freaking fun outside of connection issues.
Also Chain Chomp is bull... he is not impossible or anything but is so fucking annoying, his range is insane.

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
Currently at 13127 points
6 tournament wins
81 wins
29 losses
110 matches
Really freaking fun outside of connection issues.
Also Chain Chomp is bull... he is not impossible or anything but is so fucking annoying, his range is insane.

Lost against someone who got above 130k points. I'm sticking at around 2k.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3