By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Tennis Aces Online Tournament Demo Impressions!

Favorite character in the demo?

Mario 3 11.11%

Peach 6 22.22%

Yoshi 3 11.11%

Bowser 2 7.41%

Waluigi 4 14.81%

Toad 0 0%

Spike 3 11.11%

Rosalina 4 14.81%

Chain Chomp 2 7.41%

Total:27

First time playing it and I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'm going to keep playing with CPU's so I'm good enough before I try out online.

But it's much more fun I thought it would be and there are some surprisingly deep mechanics for tennis game.

Around the Network

Tried it out. Seems like a solid game. Just not my kinda game.

lol fail, just realized it's Red shots that beat Blue shots/Blue shots that beat Red shots while Purple shots beat Purple shots. Had it wrong all those previous games, yet I still did pretty well with a 23-7 record despite being a noob, even made it to the tournament finals twice and won once. Hopefully the connections will be better now that I'll be playing in my own region's tournament.

Mar1217 said:
Since I only downloaded the NA version, I'll just wait until 9PM(Est. Time) to play it .... or much later because I have to go actually play a real tennis match tonight :P (Wish me luck)
Very cool that you play real tennis aswell, are you pro both irl and in the game? Well I'll have you know that if we somehow play each other, you wont be kicking my ass! (reference to your previous response to me) I'll atleast put up a decent fight me thinks.

KLXVER said:
Tried it out. Seems like a solid game. Just not my kinda game.
Very nice that you recognize the game isn't bad even though you didn't like it. Another pro of having demos, can save people from wasting their money.

Oh my God. I had a disconnect after the first point of a finals match, and because I won that point, I won the tournament. After the very first point.

Fun game, only got to the semis, hate that when you match up with a 4 bars then in the middle of the game it suddenly drops to 1 bar, so frustrating. Nintendo better have a better online server for this when it releases.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Around the Network

I just tried it out for about an hour and a half, and I have to say, I hate it. or maybe thats an exaggeration. so lets say - I played it long enough to realize I do no not want to drop $60 on this game later this month. There were so many moments where I felt aggravated and frustrated due to the game's cluttered controls and fundamentally broken characters. i dont even know where to start in expressing my dislike for the game, but goddamn somebody needs to say it and im sure as hell gonna try.

the controls were way more intricate than they needed to be. the left stick for example is primarily used for moving around the tennis court. you then press A, or hold A, or double tap A to hit the ball, and in the half-second between pressing A and seeing your character hit the ball, you need to let go of the left stick and then position it again in order to actually aim the tennis ball. also depending on how long you held down A, your energy meter would increase allowing you to pull off trick shots (which i did not see one person online execute correctly), zone shots, or slow down time. BUT zone shots and slowing down time are both controlled by R. for zone shot you press R and for slow downs you hold R, and my god how did that make it past the beta? so many times i would find myself pressing R for just long enough to slow down time when i meant to do a zone shot, costing me the point. it got to a point where i just avoided trying to do zone shots entirely out of fear of holding it for too long. for god sake, would it have been so bad to map one to R and the other to ZR?

the characters are broken. for starters, you have Bowser, a character so big that his attack range covers half the court. not only that but his charged swings have enough power to knock your player a good way back down the court, with seemingly no way to recover. i was playing as Yoshi, who is marked as a "speed" character despite being no faster than any other character in any way. and then i really noticed no differences between any of the other characters, it was mainly just "well, i havent unlocked this character yet, guess that means im getting my ass handed to me"

and to top it off, the connection was terrible. Im talking SSB levels of input lag. this game is so fast paced and requires split second thinking. any lag at all would be a problem and this game has a lot of it. there were times where the game froze for over a second, and even more times where the opponent would hit the ball and it would bounce past my character before the game even recognized i was trying to use the left stick to move. and i could tell several of my opponents were having the same issue. i think i owe half of my wins to just serving the ball as fast as i could, hoping that the input lag would be too much to allow them to even hit the ball. and this game is heavily pushing for online tournaments with this game. this amount of lag is unacceptable.

heres just a list of some other minor annoyances
-the animation for Strike Shots (i think thats the name) just feels unnecessary
-i cant even keep track of all the similar names for each individual shot
-i had to play through the tutorial twice just to learn how to actually play the game
-a connection issue caused me to drop out of a tournament bracket
-the entire D-pad goes unused for some reason
-matchmaking was terrible and i frequently got paired with people who had considerably more point than i did

I loving it so far. Had quite a few loses, but then I started to get the hang of things and had some pretty intense rallies. I love Waluigi in this game, mostly because of his moonwalk and his special shot.

I'm gonna pre-load it asap.

mZuzek said:

Didn't like it at all. I'll give it a second chance later, but first impressions are that this is truly and absolutely this year's Arms.

I have a very big and very specific gripe with the controls, and that's the X button. While the A, B and Y buttons are used for different kinds of shots, the X button, well... it does a lob shot, sometimes, when you press it in some specific way or something, then sometimes it does a weird-ass move that's always the exact opposite of what you want to do - that is, in Bowser's case, which was the character I was playing, he basically does his Up B from Smash. Now, regardless of what exactly I'm doing wrong or how exactly I'm supposed to be doing these inputs, it's just bullshit and terrible control design to have two wildly different, and even opposing actions mapped to the same button. Nearly every game I lost was because of this and it sickened me.

As for everything else, eh, it's just kinda boring. Base game is just a 50-50 "is he gonna go left or right", so it gets quite boring just like Arms, then they tried to spice it up by adding all those zone shots and special powers or whatever and personally I thought all of that stuff was just bullshit.

Are you perhaps flicking the right analogue stick before you hit X? Because it sounds like, instead of using the lob shot, you end up using Bowser's trick shot, which is mapped to the right stick and not X.

Shaqazooloo0 said:
mZuzek said:

Didn't like it at all. I'll give it a second chance later, but first impressions are that this is truly and absolutely this year's Arms.

I have a very big and very specific gripe with the controls, and that's the X button. While the A, B and Y buttons are used for different kinds of shots, the X button, well... it does a lob shot, sometimes, when you press it in some specific way or something, then sometimes it does a weird-ass move that's always the exact opposite of what you want to do - that is, in Bowser's case, which was the character I was playing, he basically does his Up B from Smash. Now, regardless of what exactly I'm doing wrong or how exactly I'm supposed to be doing these inputs, it's just bullshit and terrible control design to have two wildly different, and even opposing actions mapped to the same button. Nearly every game I lost was because of this and it sickened me.

As for everything else, eh, it's just kinda boring. Base game is just a 50-50 "is he gonna go left or right", so it gets quite boring just like Arms, then they tried to spice it up by adding all those zone shots and special powers or whatever and personally I thought all of that stuff was just bullshit.

Are you perhaps flicking the right analogue stick before you hit X? Because it sounds like, instead of using the lob shot, you end up using Bowser's trick shot, which is mapped to the right stick and not X.

No, I believe his double tapping the X button because that's another way of using the Trick Shot.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Yeah they should allow you to turn off trick shots via L stick + double X tap, but you can just you know, stop button mashing lel. I had trouble with it too when I first started playing but now I only trick shot when I want to.