By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Tennis Aces Online Tournament Demo Impressions!

Favorite character in the demo?

Mario 3 11.11%

Peach 6 22.22%

Yoshi 3 11.11%

Bowser 2 7.41%

Waluigi 4 14.81%

Toad 0 0%

Spike 3 11.11%

Rosalina 4 14.81%

Chain Chomp 2 7.41%

Total:27

I loving it so far. Had quite a few loses, but then I started to get the hang of things and had some pretty intense rallies. I love Waluigi in this game, mostly because of his moonwalk and his special shot.

I'm gonna pre-load it asap.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Didn't like it at all. I'll give it a second chance later, but first impressions are that this is truly and absolutely this year's Arms.

I have a very big and very specific gripe with the controls, and that's the X button. While the A, B and Y buttons are used for different kinds of shots, the X button, well... it does a lob shot, sometimes, when you press it in some specific way or something, then sometimes it does a weird-ass move that's always the exact opposite of what you want to do - that is, in Bowser's case, which was the character I was playing, he basically does his Up B from Smash. Now, regardless of what exactly I'm doing wrong or how exactly I'm supposed to be doing these inputs, it's just bullshit and terrible control design to have two wildly different, and even opposing actions mapped to the same button. Nearly every game I lost was because of this and it sickened me.

As for everything else, eh, it's just kinda boring. Base game is just a 50-50 "is he gonna go left or right", so it gets quite boring just like Arms, then they tried to spice it up by adding all those zone shots and special powers or whatever and personally I thought all of that stuff was just bullshit.

Are you perhaps flicking the right analogue stick before you hit X? Because it sounds like, instead of using the lob shot, you end up using Bowser's trick shot, which is mapped to the right stick and not X.

Shaqazooloo0 said:
mZuzek said:

Didn't like it at all. I'll give it a second chance later, but first impressions are that this is truly and absolutely this year's Arms.

I have a very big and very specific gripe with the controls, and that's the X button. While the A, B and Y buttons are used for different kinds of shots, the X button, well... it does a lob shot, sometimes, when you press it in some specific way or something, then sometimes it does a weird-ass move that's always the exact opposite of what you want to do - that is, in Bowser's case, which was the character I was playing, he basically does his Up B from Smash. Now, regardless of what exactly I'm doing wrong or how exactly I'm supposed to be doing these inputs, it's just bullshit and terrible control design to have two wildly different, and even opposing actions mapped to the same button. Nearly every game I lost was because of this and it sickened me.

As for everything else, eh, it's just kinda boring. Base game is just a 50-50 "is he gonna go left or right", so it gets quite boring just like Arms, then they tried to spice it up by adding all those zone shots and special powers or whatever and personally I thought all of that stuff was just bullshit.

Are you perhaps flicking the right analogue stick before you hit X? Because it sounds like, instead of using the lob shot, you end up using Bowser's trick shot, which is mapped to the right stick and not X.

No, I believe his double tapping the X button because that's another way of using the Trick Shot.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Yeah they should allow you to turn off trick shots via L stick + double X tap, but you can just you know, stop button mashing lel. I had trouble with it too when I first started playing but now I only trick shot when I want to.

Sunstrider said:
Shaqazooloo0 said:

No, I believe his double tapping the X button because that's another way of using the Trick Shot.

Most likely.

Also lol "stop button mashing". Easier to say than to do, when you're playing online and with input delay. You never know the exact timing for when you need to hit a button, so sometimes you just have to mash. Hell sometimes I mash even on Smash online, despite me being pretty good at that game if I say so myself. Either way, it doesn't excuse the game having such different actions mapped to the same button.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Sunstrider said:

Most likely.

Also lol "stop button mashing". Easier to say than to do, when you're playing online and with input delay. You never know the exact timing for when you need to hit a button, so sometimes you just have to mash. Hell sometimes I mash even on Smash online, despite me being pretty good at that game if I say so myself. Either way, it doesn't excuse the game having such different actions mapped to the same button.

Actually you could just do the A+B combination to access the lob command (OG controls for the win !)

Anywoo. I won my match irl and now I'm gonna play tommorow early in the morning (9AM), which means I still can't touch the demo because sleep is important ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I dont like the power abilities. They undermine the actual Tennis. I wouldn't care if they were a gauge per round, but that shit refills fast especially mastering trick shots. Spam galore. Hot tennis series does all this without the fluff and dramatic freezing and slow down pace breaking stuff.

I'm really having fun with this game. They new additions make it exciting and the matches can get tense.

Xxain said:

I dont like the power abilities. They undermine the actual Tennis. I wouldn't care if they were a gauge per round, but that shit refills fast especially mastering trick shots. Spam galore. Hot tennis series does all this without the fluff and dramatic freezing and slow down pace breaking stuff.

Full game has a mode without all that... which still doesn't excuse the demo baiting you into thinking it's already available.

mZuzek said:
Sunstrider said:

Most likely.

Easier to say than do you say, but I'm playing the same game you are. Besides you should mostly be going for charge shots, where your character will automatically hit the ball when it gets close (EDIT: Actually that might only be when it's fully charged, can't remember derp), especially with lobs/dropshots which aren't the most effective uncharged.

Xxain said:

Is this based on gameplay experience, cause in practice trick shots cannot be spammed, and filling your gauge is dependent on the actual tennis. It's a Mario Tennis game though so I don't think it's supposed to be actual tennis, but there is simple mode without the zone maneuvers. Last edited by Lonely_Dolphin - on 02 June 2018