By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Tennis Aces Online Tournament Demo Impressions!

Favorite character in the demo?

Mario 3 11.11%

Peach 6 22.22%

Yoshi 3 11.11%

Bowser 2 7.41%

Waluigi 4 14.81%

Toad 0 0%

Spike 3 11.11%

Rosalina 4 14.81%

Chain Chomp 2 7.41%

Total:27

I dont like the power abilities. They undermine the actual Tennis. I wouldn't care if they were a gauge per round, but that shit refills fast especially mastering trick shots. Spam galore. Hot tennis series does all this without the fluff and dramatic freezing and slow down pace breaking stuff.

Around the Network

I'm really having fun with this game. They new additions make it exciting and the matches can get tense.

mZuzek said:
Sunstrider said:

No, I believe his double tapping the X button because that's another way of using the Trick Shot.

Most likely.

Also lol "stop button mashing". Easier to say than to do, when you're playing online and with input delay. You never know the exact timing for when you need to hit a button, so sometimes you just have to mash. Hell sometimes I mash even on Smash online, despite me being pretty good at that game if I say so myself. Either way, it doesn't excuse the game having such different actions mapped to the same button.

Easier to say than do you say, but I'm playing the same game you are. Besides you should mostly be going for charge shots, where your character will automatically hit the ball when it gets close (EDIT: Actually that might only be when it's fully charged, can't remember derp), especially with lobs/dropshots which aren't the most effective uncharged.

Xxain said:

I dont like the power abilities. They undermine the actual Tennis. I wouldn't care if they were a gauge per round, but that shit refills fast especially mastering trick shots. Spam galore. Hot tennis series does all this without the fluff and dramatic freezing and slow down pace breaking stuff.

Is this based on gameplay experience, cause in practice trick shots cannot be spammed, and filling your gauge is dependent on the actual tennis. It's a Mario Tennis game though so I don't think it's supposed to be actual tennis, but there is simple mode without the zone maneuvers. Last edited by Lonely_Dolphin - on 02 June 2018

mZuzek said:
Xxain said:

Full game has a mode without all that... which still doesn't excuse the demo baiting you into thinking it's already available.

Hmm? I thought that was already in the Demo. Whats the Simple class then? I haven't picked it because I prefer the Zone Speed/Shots.

Edit: Nvm, you can't select it.

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 02 June 2018

Seems a lot of strategy is in the game.
You have to save your gauge for the right moments.
I still need to practice more, but Im liking.
Anyway, is a local multiplayer Mario tennis. I always buy to play with my friends (except the wii one). And for the first time, on a portable system.
Add that now we have a campaign, also a simple mode. Much more than enough for me to buy. (I don't play online)
But I hope they add Pauline.

Around the Network

I'm going with a solid record.
36 wins, 6 losses and 5 tourneys.

I'm really getting the hang of putting pressure on my opponent's racket and using the energy efficiently.

i’ve only played a little, but i think the game is a lot of fun. i’ll probably pick it up soon after release.

the first hour playing was very frustrating because of the not configurable button layout, the second hour was a ton of fun when you realize the tactical component in using the different special technics

Anyone knows if in COOP you can set player 1 in normal and player 2 in inverted setting.

Mario's tennis is my go to game with one of my friends, but he's inverted and I'm normal setting.

I played about twenty matches and didn't refuse any match-ups because I wanted to test lag.

Lag gives the person with a poor connection and ungodly advantage because the game is peer-to-peer. I was full bars (since I have my Switch connected via an Ethernet adapter) and my opponent was two, and there was this 1-2 second delay when I would hit the button and when I would swing. Kind of scary this guy was in the third of four tiers of the tourney. So, lag is the way to go if you want to win.

Matches without lag were tons of fun, though, especially when a long volley got going with tons of Zone Shots, a blocked special, and whatever the time slowing down move is called.