By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 20): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - May 14-20, 2018

Kerotan said:
Mar1217 said:

Litteraly, the best case scenario would be define by almost exceeding everything that has been sold this year or becoming a new evergreen in the Japan gaming sphere which by the numbers is way too low to be so.

It's one of the best case scenario sure, but not the best (and by far).

Without bundles you say ? Then explain :

Sorry if it looks condescending btw, I just think our definition differs greatly. Game's solding better than any previous in the series and I guess that's what matter the most to you :)

I mean a regular weekly bundle like what gow3 got  This was a small amount of limited pros and even then you pay extra for the bundle then you normally would so its the game selling the bundle rather than the game just thrown in forextras sales.

God of war is blowing past entries out of the water especially the previous one ascension. Nobody predicted these sales around here. 

s

I have to admit that after the glowing reviews came pouring in and knowing the game is very different from the previous ones, I honestly thought there was a chance for God of War to explode in Japan like selling 2-3 times what God of War 3 did. Sadly, it did not happen.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 23 May 2018

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Kerotan said:

God of war is literally best case scenario in Japan. It will have decent legs too. 

God of War is down to 3K already and strongly outsold by baseball. Sure, it is slightly better than the previous entry in Japan, but still the numbers are bad for a game of that budget. Other games are more tailored to the japanese market. Monster Hunter World was big (and I don't understand why so many thought it would go bad in Japan). But even MonHun has seemingly no legs.

Is this just a thing you're doing to get at Kerotan or is this real? God of War has sold very well. It's surpassing expectations. How is the budget of the game relevant when it's doing better than everyone has expected in every region. As far as MonHun, it's keeping well digitally so it's not like it's falling off the map completely.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Hiku said:

That baseball game is actually pretty legit. Got to try it last week with a friend, and we had a lot of fun with it. I might pick it up if my friend keeps playing as well.

Was the commentary powerful like advertised?

Signature goes here!

slow numbers for game chart...hope this change soon

Wow, summer is boring as shit in terms of sales.

Around the Network

The dockless Switch will give consumers an option that is in range of portable pricing which should help as we're entering the summer months the key point this year should be when Fire Emblem is due for release as the series has quite an impact over there although Smash may hit in September to launch the online service.

Ok Switch numbers.
Ouch ps4 numbers.
Eek top selling game numbers.

20k as the top selling game for the week is really low

like others have said, summer is not being too kind in japan at the moment for everyone.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Acevil said:
Jranation said:
We'll see next week how big the dockless Switch impact will be.

It should have no effect, since it is sold by only one source. 

So its not even going to do 1k sales? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Kerotan said:
Jranation said:

God of War didnt explode in Japan. While if the PS4 still have stock issues.... Sounds like Sony is neglecting Japan......

God of war is literally best case scenario in Japan. It will have decent legs too. 

I was talking about how the hardware sales. You were saying the PS4 still have stock issues. But what train wreck said is that 1month Japan PS4 = 1 Week US PS4. 

Soooo it feels like Sony doesn't care about Japan. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

outlawauron said:
Mnementh said:

God of War is down to 3K already and strongly outsold by baseball. Sure, it is slightly better than the previous entry in Japan, but still the numbers are bad for a game of that budget. Other games are more tailored to the japanese market. Monster Hunter World was big (and I don't understand why so many thought it would go bad in Japan). But even MonHun has seemingly no legs.

Is this just a thing you're doing to get at Kerotan or is this real? God of War has sold very well. It's surpassing expectations. How is the budget of the game relevant when it's doing better than everyone has expected in every region. As far as MonHun, it's keeping well digitally so it's not like it's falling off the map completely.

Very well and surpassing expectations is very subjective. It does slightly better than GoW III, something that could've been reasonably expected. So it does fine, without a question. But I just think the extensive praise is misplaced, as it is a mid-level IP for Japan. Sure, nothing new, but I don't see the same praise for baseball, which actually did better. This is not to diminish GoW, it is just not an IP doing very well in japan.

EDIT: And he said it will have decent legs. This is difficult too parse, as again decent is very open to interpretation, but even now some weeks old it is outlegged by multiple 2017 titles.

Frigging Snack World outlegs it and has actually barely lower overall sales. So doing 'very well' is only appliable if you start with very low expectations. And that bothers me, because on the other hand titles that sell ten times as much are talked down, because of even higher expectations. Can we keep it all in relation?

And budget actually is an expression of expected sales on the side of the developer/publisher (in most cases). So big budget means big expectations.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 23 May 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]