By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 20): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - May 14-20, 2018

Train wreck said:
After the fantastic NPD numbers for last month, its depressing to see the numbers for Japan. The PS4 selling in a month in Japan what it sells in a week in the US.

God of War didnt explode in Japan. While if the PS4 still have stock issues.... Sounds like Sony is neglecting Japan......

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Japanese market of consoles and games has been shrinking more and more. There is not much perspective once they embraced smartphones. Only select titles are still going to be relevant there.

We'll see next week how big the dockless Switch impact will be.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Train wreck said:
After the fantastic NPD numbers for last month, its depressing to see the numbers for Japan. The PS4 selling in a month in Japan what it sells in a week in the US.

God of War didnt explode in Japan. While if the PS4 still have stock issues.... Sounds like Sony is neglecting Japan......

God of war is literally best case scenario in Japan. It will have decent legs too. 

Mar1217 said:
Kerotan said:

God of war is literally best case scenario in Japan. It will have decent legs too. 

Not exploding can be defined as a best case scenario now ?

It's literally blowing past entries out of the water sales wise and that's without bundles or digital even included. Best case scenario by far. 

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Megiddo said:

Here is the week 20 update in terms of the two big consoles in Japan's path to be able to reach the commonly stated (in these sales threads) estimates for 2018 sales (2 mil for PS4, 4 mil for Switch) .

TWS GD YTD AWN (Change)
PS4 16,940 -18,018 863,295 35,522 (+564)
Switch 33,125 -60,261 951,361 95,269 (+1883)

TWS - This week's sales
GD - Goal differential, the difference between the average week needed from last week compared to this week's sales
YTD - Units sold in 2018 so far including this week's sales
AWN - Average weekly sales needed to reach the estimate for the console.

Switch weekly sales up a bit and PS4 down a bit. DKTF continues to show amazing results compared to its prior version.

I guess the Switch will end the year with 1,5 millions sold in Japan, which would make it close to 5 millions.

The post you quoted shows YTD with 950K, so two weeks away from a million and not even half of the year over. And in the second half usually you see bigger releases (and we already know about Smash) and the holidays for increased sales. Yes, in Japan too. So two million are probable, even 2.5M. Beyond that ... it becomes more unlikely.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Kerotan said:
Mnementh said:
So, PS4 really has a 16K baseline, now we see demand unimpeded by supply problems. The Switch has a 30K baseline. Both lower than many expected. Game releases should increase that number later in the year, but that is what we should expect for the coming weeks.

The sales of the Tropical Freeze port nearing the original numbers (it had 160K on WiiU in Japan, Switch version is now at 130K). Even if we assume a further drop to 10K weekly, it beats the original in three more weeks.

Two more weeks for Zelda clearing the 1 million mark.

Splatoon 2 dominating everything, has even more sales than Mario, Pokemon and Mario Kart (and better legs too).

This Baseball game already outsold God of War, should double GoW-sales in two more weeks. This shows GoW is not for the japanese market.

Monster Hunter World sadly has already left the charts, but has achieved so far a great number. Over two millions, should be near 2.5M (has someone the cumulative sales on MC for this game?).

As only one new game charts this week, we see the leg-monsters. Eight games in the TOP 20 released already in 2017, one even in 2016. This is extraordinary, remember MonHun has already left the charts.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B0742J781D/ref=zg_bs_videogames_23?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RZ9VKAJCK425RWA7GEH9

You must have a different definition of unimpeded to me. Still having stock issues. 

Sooo... Sony hates Japan and screws japanese people over?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Kerotan said:
Jranation said:

God of War is down to 3K already and strongly outsold by baseball. Sure, it is slightly better than the previous entry in Japan, but still the numbers are bad for a game of that budget. Other games are more tailored to the japanese market. Monster Hunter World was big (and I don't understand why so many thought it would go bad in Japan). But even MonHun has seemingly no legs.

Jranation said:
We'll see next week how big the dockless Switch impact will be.

It should have no effect, since it is sold by only one source. 

Mar1217 said:
Kerotan said:

It's literally blowing past entries out of the water sales wise and that's without bundles or digital even included. Best case scenario by far. 

Litteraly, the best case scenario would be define by almost exceeding everything that has been sold this year or becoming a new evergreen in the Japan gaming sphere which by the numbers is way too low to be so.

It's one of the best case scenario sure, but not the best (and by far).

Without bundles you say ? Then explain :

Sorry if it looks condescending btw, I just think our definition differs greatly. Game's solding better than any previous in the series and I guess that's what matter the most to you :)

I mean a regular weekly bundle like what gow3 got  This was a small amount of limited pros and even then you pay extra for the bundle then you normally would so its the game selling the bundle rather than the game just thrown in forextras sales.

God of war is blowing past entries out of the water especially the previous one ascension. Nobody predicted these sales around here. 

s