By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I love how Nintendo is handling their retro games on the Switch

d21lewis said:

Every time there's an update in XBO backwards comp, there's a chance one of my old 360 purchases will be ready to download on my newer hardware--running better than ever AND with new features like Game DVR support.

Yeah, I popped in my Burnout Revenge disc today in my XBO... I love that game!

My old savegame was also downloaded automatically although I'm not paying for XBL Gold, the free XBL silver is good enough.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Uh nope as VC wasn't just NES games. "Of course there'll be more than NES" is just your assumption. Nintendo said there'll be more NES games, but didn't say anything about games from other systems. If we get N64 and GCN at no additional cost then perhaps I'll change my tune, but not a moment sooner.

Well yes of course if for some reason it was only ever going to be NES games that would suck. But I see no reason to assume that. Just as the VC has never launched with all systems, this service isn't launching with all systems as well. Obviously they are not gonna just throw away a lot of money by not offering SNES, N64, etc games in some way on the system, whether through this service or the eshop. But I see no reason to think they won't add more systems, just like the VC added more systems over time. When the VC launched they didn't announce every system that would eventually be available on it. Obviously only NES games would with no way to get other games would suck (though of course all the NES games available and with online play is itself freakin awesome and well worth the $20/year price), but there's no reason to think what we get at launch is everything that will ever be available considering that is never the way it has been.

It's not that I'm assuming there wont ever be anything beyond NES, it's just a fact that only NES games are confirmed. You can't expect people to take imaginary assumptions over tangible facts when evaluating the service.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Slownenberg said:

Well yes of course if for some reason it was only ever going to be NES games that would suck. But I see no reason to assume that. Just as the VC has never launched with all systems, this service isn't launching with all systems as well. Obviously they are not gonna just throw away a lot of money by not offering SNES, N64, etc games in some way on the system, whether through this service or the eshop. But I see no reason to think they won't add more systems, just like the VC added more systems over time. When the VC launched they didn't announce every system that would eventually be available on it. Obviously only NES games would with no way to get other games would suck (though of course all the NES games available and with online play is itself freakin awesome and well worth the $20/year price), but there's no reason to think what we get at launch is everything that will ever be available considering that is never the way it has been.

It's not that I'm assuming there wont ever be anything beyond NES, it's just a fact that only NES games are confirmed. You can't expect people to take imaginary assumptions over tangible facts when evaluating the service.

I'm pretty sure there were numerous people that were convinced that voice chat would be available on the Switch without the phone app, and the phone app was just going to be another option because while the phone app was the only announced way to get voice chat, "there was no reason to assume otherwise".

Is it like PSN though? If you stop paying you lose access to the games?

Cause if it is, then it's not worth it, no.

Otherwise, it's not bad. But getting games you don't want in droves isn't necessarily better than buying just the ones you actually are interested in and keeping them forever.

I think VC will exist under a different name, like Nintendo Classics. That way they have an excuse to resell VC purchases with less resistance. Also they may be trying to break away from anything associated with the Wii/WiiU. Fresh slate if you will.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Having retro games available Netflix style is a very cool idea. Sometimes I want to try a game but not pay for it. The only problem I have is that you cannot buy these games on their own. To be honest, I wasn't going to buy these games again. I can only buy Super Mario Bros so many times. If it is like Netflix I expect the library to grow until the Switch is replaced. So we might start getting GC games later on or even Wii games. I guess for now we start at the NES era.

That's why I also do not mind the service right now.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

forest-spirit said:
1. I'd rather pay for each game I want instead of having someone else decide which games I've getting.

2. I have a decent amount of VC games on my Wii U and I had been looking forward to moving my retro library over to the Switch. Considering how Nintendo treated the VC during the launch of the Wii U, pretty much starting over from scratch in terms of what games you could get, I didn't exactly expect all of my VC games to just become available on my Switch, but I sure as heck expected something better than this.

3. It saddens me how Nintendo treats their older titles. Tons of people want to play and pay for those games even today, but Nintendo won't let them because reasons.

This. It is nicethat Nintendo offers new options with the Online stuff, but at the same time they're cutting a model many people obviously liked and which isn't really replaced by the new thing.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

killeryoshis said:
Having retro games available Netflix style is a very cool idea. Sometimes I want to try a game but not pay for it. The only problem I have is that you cannot buy these games on their own. To be honest, I wasn't going to buy these games again. I can only buy Super Mario Bros so many times. If it is like Netflix I expect the library to grow until the Switch is replaced. So we might start getting GC games later on or even Wii games. I guess for now we start at the NES era.

That's why I also do not mind the service right now.

Bold: No way it's going to stay at $20 if that ever happens, I think the price will go up even if they add only SNES games. 

Why offer a virtual console when they can sell you a mini console of a few bucks of plastic surrounding a mass-produced Raspberry Pi? The mini consoles are huge money-makers. No way Nintendo will stop at the SNES.

LuccaCardoso1 said:

It seems to me that people are complaining about the Virtual Console not being on the Switch just because they got attached to that brand. If you make the math, you'll see that what they're offering now is much more worth it.

On the Wii U, NES cost between 5 and 6 dollars. If you wanted to have 20 games, you'd have to spend at least 100 bucks.

Now, with the Nintendo Switch Online, you pay 20 dollars/year (around $1.70/month) to have 20 NES games with added online functionalities (and they're promising to expand the library even further). It's as if each game costs 1 dollar/year (around 8 cents/month).

And that's ignoring the "exclusive offers for members" that still have to be fleshed out.

I don't think it's perfect, obviously. The voice chat and cloud saves aren't the way I wanted them to be, but imo people are making a mountain out of a molehill, as usual.

I think the main issue is... The Virtual Console you owned your games.
The Switch you are more or less renting them... And Nintendo can opt to remove any game at any time.

Obviously there is Pro's and Con's to each approach... And thus will appeal to different demographics... And that is okay.
But I don't see why you need to taketh from one hand and giveth from another.

TruckOSaurus said:
Well my attachment to the Virtual Console doesn't come from a love of the brand, it mostly comes from the fact that I've spent a good amount of money to purchase most of the NES, SNES and N64 titles I was interested in back in the Wii days. Virtual Console not coming back means I can forget about accessing all those titles I've already paid money for on my Switch.

That being said, I don't think Nintendo's online service is overpriced for what it is. I'd have paid the $20 solely for Smash's online without the bonus NES games.

I think that is where Nintendo should take inspiration from (ironically) Microsoft.
The Original Xbox and Xbox 360 games you have purchased automagically become available for the user on the Xbox One.

$20 is stuff all cash to pay. If anything I think it's a good price point. Does it beat free? Shit no. But at-least it's not $100 a year.

In the end... If the consumer base voices their collective opinions loudly and clearly enough, then positive change can be enacted, we have seen it time and again in the video gaming industry.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--