By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I love how Nintendo is handling their retro games on the Switch

potato_hamster said:
osed125 said:

Technically speaking, these games are not available elsewhere due to the new online functionality; but I get your point.

Either way, the games are so old that there are plenty of options on how to get them. Mainly emulation obviosuly, which I personally don't care if people do it at all, and don't think Nintendo cares too much either.

I'm sure most switch owners would gladly trade being able to play their existing VC library on the Switch instead of online functionality added to 25+ year old games that were never designed for it.

I'm sure PS3 and 360 owners wanted their games to be transferred to the PS4 and XB1 as well. Its just not very profitable for them.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
potato_hamster said:

I'm sure most switch owners would gladly trade being able to play their existing VC library on the Switch instead of online functionality added to 25+ year old games that were never designed for it.

I'm sure PS3 and 360 owners wanted their games to be transferred to the PS4 and XB1 as well. Its just not very profitable for them.

Yep. Virtual console games are totally the same as backwards compatibility. 100%. Great argument. Would make again.

Aside the fact that two wrongs don't make a right, last I checked,  Sony has been constantly getting raked over the coals for the PS4 not playing PS1 and PS2 games, or even digital copies previously bought on PSN? They have been getting shit for it for years and years. As it turns out consumers don't like getting nickel and dimed from anyone!

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 10 May 2018

potato_hamster said:
KLXVER said:

Yep. Virtual console games are totally the same as backwards compatibility. 100%. Great argument. Would make again.

Talking about downloaded games, but whatever...

1. I'd rather pay for each game I want instead of having someone else decide which games I've getting.

2. I have a decent amount of VC games on my Wii U and I had been looking forward to moving my retro library over to the Switch. Considering how Nintendo treated the VC during the launch of the Wii U, pretty much starting over from scratch in terms of what games you could get, I didn't exactly expect all of my VC games to just become available on my Switch, but I sure as heck expected something better than this.

3. It saddens me how Nintendo treats their older titles. Tons of people want to play and pay for those games even today, but Nintendo won't let them because reasons.

KLXVER said:
potato_hamster said:

You realize that games that were cross-buy didn't have to rebuy? As PS3/P/V games got ported to PS4, they just got free PS4 copies. That's not unheard of.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
KLXVER said:

You realize that games that were cross-buy didn't have to rebuy? As PS3/P/V games got ported to PS4, they just got free PS4 copies. That's not unheard of.

I didn't know that. You are the first to say that. Seems like a great argument for people complaining about their WiiU VC games on Switch.

outlawauron said:
KLXVER said:

And like I said, Sony has taken heaps of shit for the PS4 not being able to play PS1 and PS2 digital downloads or disc versions of the games. The vita plays PS1 and PSP games. There's no reason why the PS4 shouldn't.

KLXVER said:
potato_hamster said:

Except for that's exactly what happened.

I have hundreds of digital purchases that became available on my Xbox One. Not so many on PS4 but pretty much my entire PSP library is available and currently installed on my Vita. There were PS1 games I'd purchased for my PSP that were right there ready for me on my PS3 and Vita. In certain cases, owning the older game on PS3/360 automatically netted be the free upgraded PS4/XBO version (ie: Flower/Castle Crashers).

Every time there's an update in XBO backwards comp, there's a chance one of my old 360 purchases will be ready to download on my newer hardware--running better than ever AND with new features like Game DVR support.

*Edit* sorry. Didn't see this was already addressed

d21lewis said:
KLXVER said:

Except for that's exactly what happened.

I have hundreds of digital purchases that became available on my Xbox One. Not so many on PS4 but pretty much my entire PSP library is available and currently installed on my Vita. There were PS1 games I'd purchased for my PSP that were right there ready for me on my PS3 and Vita. In certain cases, owning the older game on PS3/360 automatically netted be the free upgraded PS4/XBO version (ie: Flower/Castle Crashers).

Every time there's an update in XBO backwards comp, there's a chance one of my old 360 purchases will be ready to download on my newer hardware--running better than ever AND with new features like Game DVR support.

*Edit* sorry. Didn't see this was already addressed

Yeah, the BC on XB1 is great. Didn't know about the other PS4 and XB1 stuff though, so I do apologize.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Slownenberg said:

Well if you think all of Nintendo's retro games are crappy then you must have thought the VC was crappy as well since this is the same thing but just a different payment model. So it seems you are just mad that Nintendo's online multiplayer service is no longer free. Well it is still much cheaper than the competition so think of it that way.

And are you kidding me? Of course there will be more than NES games and more than just those 20 NES games. Those are the games AT LAUNCH. Did you also complain last March that Nintendo abandoned every franchise except for Zelda and complained that the Switch was only ever going to have a handful of games because as we all know every system or online service launches with every game that it will ever have....

Show me which system had every VC game that would ever come out when the VC launched. Show me that and you've got a credible point. But since obviously that isn't true your point is absurd. 20 NES games available AT LAUNCH. More games will be coming regularly. Its the EXACT SAME THING AS THE VC, just a much much cheaper subscription model that gives us access to every single game instead of having to pick and choose which overpriced retro games you want to buy (and having to do that all over again with each new system, starting from zero).

People, it is STARTING with 20 NES games. Just like every Virtual Console, it is not launching with every game that it will ever have. For example, it looks like the Wii U didn't get its first N64 VC game until 2 YEARS after the launch of the VC. Anyone who is saying this service will only provide 20 NES games or only provide NES games is being absurd and is just trolling.

Uh nope as VC wasn't just NES games. "Of course there'll be more than NES" is just your assumption. Nintendo said there'll be more NES games, but didn't say anything about games from other systems. If we get N64 and GCN at no additional cost then perhaps I'll change my tune, but not a moment sooner.

Well yes of course if for some reason it was only ever going to be NES games that would suck. But I see no reason to assume that. Just as the VC has never launched with all systems, this service isn't launching with all systems as well. Obviously they are not gonna just throw away a lot of money by not offering SNES, N64, etc games in some way on the system, whether through this service or the eshop. But I see no reason to think they won't add more systems, just like the VC added more systems over time. When the VC launched they didn't announce every system that would eventually be available on it. Obviously only NES games would with no way to get other games would suck (though of course all the NES games available and with online play is itself freakin awesome and well worth the $20/year price), but there's no reason to think what we get at launch is everything that will ever be available considering that is never the way it has been.