By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Disgusted with "Smartphones"

mZuzek said:
LipeJJ said:
Honestly... it looks like you just bought a bad smartphone. Some of these issues like HD space, lags and crashes, etc. are all common issues of low/mid end smartphones.

They'll be issues of high end smartphones in 2/3 years, too.

I agree with OP on this. Updates (of any kind) on smartphones are toxic as fuck.

Honestly, 3 years is more than enough to upgrade again...

This is not a console, it's a device we use every single day of our lives for many hours while at that. If it's ok to update to mid gen consoles after 3 years, and then to another gen 3 years later, on a device for solely entertainment purposes, I don't see why updating phones every 3 years would be a problem. Most people use phones to work/research/watch movies/videos/play games and so on...

I think it's unfair to ask for something we use to that extent to last 5 years or more.

Personally, I update every single year and it's the best possible scenario for me: I sell my current phone for a good price, pay a small price to update (usually $100~$150) and I always have my phones under warranty for that reason on top of that.

If I waited 5 years to update, my current phone would worth almost nothing, so I'd have to pay $800 (or even more) from scratch or so. That's more than the symbolic price I pay to update every year. Not worth it.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
mZuzek said:

They'll be issues of high end smartphones in 2/3 years, too.

I agree with OP on this. Updates (of any kind) on smartphones are toxic as fuck.

This is not a console, it's a device we use every single day of our lives for many hours while at that. If it's ok to update to mid gen consoles after 3 years, and then to another gen 3 years later, on a device for solely entertainment purposes, I don't see why updating phones every 3 years would be a problem. Most people use phones to work/research/watch movies/videos/play games and so on...

It's exactly because it's an everyday device.

Consoles are actually among the most expendable things we use in terms of time. Most people who have cars use them everyday, and they last easily 5-6 years at least. Many people watch TV everyday, or even all day everyday, and TVs can also last 5-6 years easily. The computer (closest comparison you'd have to a smartphone) I'm using to type this message is nearly 6 years old and, other than being unable to run modern games, works absolutely fine. I think I can list just about anything I use daily that lasts much longer than a phone does, actually.

mZuzek said:
LipeJJ said:

Consoles are actually among the most expendable things we use in terms of time. Most people who have cars use them everyday, and they last easily 5-6 years at least. Many people watch TV everyday, or even all day everyday, and TVs can also last 5-6 years easily. The computer (closest comparison you'd have to a smartphone) I'm using to type this message is nearly 6 years old and, other than being unable to run modern games, works absolutely fine. I think I can list just about anything I use daily that lasts much longer than a phone does, actually.

Well, define "lasting". A phone can last 5 years easily, if you don't mind some small lags too. That's also true for almost everything else. A car that traveled 100.000km (some people do that in their first 2 or 3 years of usage) wouldn't work perfectly well if it wasn't repared/fixed. 

Btw, my dad uses my old iPhone 5s and it works fine. It was bought in 2013, so it's literally 5 years old. Still works fine for him, and it still gets every new update the company releases. Of course it's not as fast as it was when it was bought, but I honestly think that is to be expected. My notebook also doesn't work exactly the same way it did 5 years ago. lol

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
mZuzek said:

Well, define "lasting". A phone can last 5 years easily, if you don't mind some small lags too. That's also true for almost everything else. A car that traveled 100.000km (some people do that in their first 2 or 3 years of usage) wouldn't work perfectly well if it wasn't repared/fixed. 

Btw, my dad uses my old iPhone 5s and it works fine. It was bought in 2013, so it's literally 5 years old. Still works fine for him, and it still gets every new update the company releases. Of course it's not as fast as it was when it was bought, but I honestly think that is to be expected. My notebook also doesn't work exactly the same way it did 5 years ago. lol

Well, whatever. We've opposing mentalities, I think we can leave it at that.

Personally I'm all for what the OP is saying. I don't really like the smartphone world, even if I do appreciate all the quality-of-life improvements they can provide. What I mean to say is, although I'd like a smartphone-less world, I couldn't get rid of mine.

mZuzek said:
LipeJJ said:

Personally I'm all for what the OP is saying. I don't really like the smartphone world, even if I do appreciate all the quality-of-life improvements they can provide. What I mean to say is, although I'd like a smartphone-less world, I couldn't get rid of mine.

It's ok, I think I get your point.

To be honest with you, sometimes I say to myself that I'd like a smartphone-less world too. Interacting was more natural, dynamic and interesting... everyone seems to be behind their screens nowadays. It affects even my own family... I remember people talking to each other a lot when I was little, now everyone seems anxious about texting something on their phones and the conversations became quicker and rarer. 

Someday when I have children, I'll definitely limit smartphone usage a lot so that doesn't happen.

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
mZuzek said:

It's ok, I think I get your point.

To be honest with you, sometimes I say to myself that I'd like a smartphone-less world too. Interacting was more natural, dynamic and interesting... everyone seems to be behind their screens nowadays. It affects even my own family... I remember people talking to each other a lot when I was little, now everyone seems anxious about texting something on their phones and the conversations became quicker and rarer. 

Someday when I have children, I'll definitely limit smartphone usage a lot so that doesn't happen.

Yeah there's this, and also conspiracy crap, which is sometimes a little hard to ignore.

I mean, the world as is now would probably be better without smartphones. Spending loads of time on your computer screen when you get home is like, alright. But phones are just too much, sometimes. It's nice to be constantly connected and have the ability to talk to anyone anywhere anytime, and it's definitely nice to have GPS, but, yeah. Overall it's just lame.

I've stuck with my iPhone SE due to it being smaller. I hate these bigger phones, as they don't fit well in my pockets. I keep hoping that apple will release another smaller model, otherwise i'm gonna keep this one until it just dies.

haxxiy said:

TL, DR: the smartphone market is based on 1) planned obsolescence; 2) breach of privacy and personal data; 3) near-monopolies; 4) gimmicks and other feature creep intended to catch more guileless consumers, or force the old ones to update.

Name one industry that isn't. But to make it easy for you. The gaming industry does all of those 4 things and people in this forum can't stop praising them for it.

I just bought a Galaxy S9 and for some reason I feel less scammed than when I bought my PS4 or Switch. Probably because the smartphone is actually useful and enriches my life every single day.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
haxxiy said:

TL, DR: the smartphone market is based on 1) planned obsolescence; 2) breach of privacy and personal data; 3) near-monopolies; 4) gimmicks and other feature creep intended to catch more guileless consumers, or force the old ones to update.

Name one industry that isn't. But to make it easy for you. The gaming industry does all of those 4 things and people in this forum can't stop praising them for it.

I just bought a Galaxy S9 and for some reason I feel less scammed than when I bought my PS4 or Switch. Probably because the smartphone is actually useful and enriches my life every single day.

Not cool.

https://www.cnet.com/news/smartphone-sales-fell-for-the-first-time-ever-in-q4-apple-samsung-gartner/

https://youtu.be/1kllbOrLfoo