By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Disgusted with "Smartphones"

About a year and a half ago, I decided to finally buy my first smartphone after avoiding it for years. My old phone still had a keyboard so I had no problems texting and it lasted about at least a week per charge (could last 10 days). I bought the iPhone 7 plus which had just released and have regretted it ever since. First of all I don’t dislike apple. I owned a 12" macbook and 10.5" ipad pro, and only sold them for 12.9" ipad pro and to curb the cost of an imac pro. I also own acessories like the apple pencil and three pairs of airpods (one broke). Now back to the reason I despise the smartphone. I am still paying $100/month between data and the phone’s remaining balance for nothing in return. I literally get no use out of it because it’s an inferior ipad in every way. Even if I had no iPad, the idea of watching video or web surfing on such a tiny screen is comical to me. It runs out of battery every couple days even still at 94% original capacity and background refresh off. There are apps I want to delete, but can’t and I have no use for them. I will never see worth in this device or any iPhone because they sit in a wierd spot without any use. All hype and zero productivity. I just want a phone for calls/text. The only benefit is I now have a decent GPS at all times, but I rarely need a GPS and even then I already had a GPS standalone that I would pull out for such occassions. So I wasted my money and this phone also wastes my time with its poor battery and more complex os.

Around the Network

Couldn't live without mine. It's fantastic. Sorry they let you down.

Twitter: @d21lewis

John2290 said:
d21lewis said:
Couldn't live without mine. It's fantastic. Sorry they let you down.

You are a beacon of sanity in these forumns sometimes. *fist bump*.

*fist bump*

Twitter: @d21lewis

I got rid of my not yet smart phone 10 years ago, have never missed it. My wife uses hers all the time though. I only touch it when it's unresponsive again, apple crap.

I miss my dumb phone. It was small and tough and didn't wear holes in my pocket. I didn't have to worry about it at all.

Seriously, I could go back without a problem. Smartphones are kind of a pain to manage. It's like they make people plan their lives around them. They're parasitic.

What would I miss? I can't really think of anything. One thing I learned in particular is that I have zero desire to play games on a tiny screen with touch controls. The primary reason I got one is that more and more employers and businesses require them.

Ah, I know. The main thing I use my smartphone for now is when I want to look occupied.

On a serious note, they're having a terrible impact on work environments. Managers and supervisors complain about them constantly and I've seen people written up for spending more time on their phone than doing their job.

Around the Network

those damn millennials with those damn smart phones.... i remember the good old days when people would write a nice letter and mail it in the post office. then wait a week for it to arrive the destination and another one to hopefully get a reply....

ahhh those good old days...

Hey kids! Get off my lawn already!

Perfect timing for this thread. I’ve been going through a change lately and realize i don’t need a smartphone. Facebook and other stuff I don’t care for at all. I used to be one of the millions of other cell phone zombies around the world who are always on their phones.

So I’ve made the decision to give my iPhone X to my wife and I’m going back to a good old fashioned flip phone. I can make calls if need be or text. That’s all I need. And I’ll save a fortune at that. Guess this is me getting old. *shrugs* Oh well. 

Honestly... it looks like you just bought a bad smartphone. Some of these issues like HD space, lags and crashes, etc. are all common issues of low/mid end smartphones.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
Honestly... it looks like you just bought a bad smartphone. Some of these issues like HD space, lags and crashes, etc. are all common issues of low/mid end smartphones.

They'll be issues of high end smartphones in 2/3 years, too.

I agree with OP on this. Updates (of any kind) on smartphones are toxic as fuck.

I love my smartphones, actually just recently upgraded to an Xperia XZ2 which is such a great phone, lol... I remember my first actual mobile phone though, it was an old Motorola that still had an aerial, lol. Then I upgraded to a Nokia 3210, which at the time was like the best thing ever, you could create your own ringtones! But yeah, I don't think I could ever go back to that, it just wouldn't cut it these days... besides, I'd be out of a job too, lol.

The only thing traditional mobile phones have over smartphones, which is actually a significant difference, is the battery life... fuck, one of my old Nokia's could go over a week without needing a single charge with a lot of usage, whereas for the last, however many years I've had smartphones, I have to charge my phone every other day, lol.