By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Disgusted with "Smartphones"

Couldn't live without mine. It's fantastic. Sorry they let you down.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
d21lewis said:
Couldn't live without mine. It's fantastic. Sorry they let you down.

You are a beacon of sanity in these forumns sometimes. *fist bump*.

*fist bump*

I got rid of my not yet smart phone 10 years ago, have never missed it. My wife uses hers all the time though. I only touch it when it's unresponsive again, apple crap.

I miss my dumb phone. It was small and tough and didn't wear holes in my pocket. I didn't have to worry about it at all.

Seriously, I could go back without a problem. Smartphones are kind of a pain to manage. It's like they make people plan their lives around them. They're parasitic.

What would I miss? I can't really think of anything. One thing I learned in particular is that I have zero desire to play games on a tiny screen with touch controls. The primary reason I got one is that more and more employers and businesses require them.

Ah, I know. The main thing I use my smartphone for now is when I want to look occupied.

On a serious note, they're having a terrible impact on work environments. Managers and supervisors complain about them constantly and I've seen people written up for spending more time on their phone than doing their job.

those damn millennials with those damn smart phones.... i remember the good old days when people would write a nice letter and mail it in the post office. then wait a week for it to arrive the destination and another one to hopefully get a reply....

ahhh those good old days...

Hey kids! Get off my lawn already!

Around the Network

Perfect timing for this thread. I’ve been going through a change lately and realize i don’t need a smartphone. Facebook and other stuff I don’t care for at all. I used to be one of the millions of other cell phone zombies around the world who are always on their phones.

So I’ve made the decision to give my iPhone X to my wife and I’m going back to a good old fashioned flip phone. I can make calls if need be or text. That’s all I need. And I’ll save a fortune at that. Guess this is me getting old. *shrugs* Oh well. 

Honestly... it looks like you just bought a bad smartphone. Some of these issues like HD space, lags and crashes, etc. are all common issues of low/mid end smartphones.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

mZuzek said:
LipeJJ said:
Honestly... it looks like you just bought a bad smartphone. Some of these issues like HD space, lags and crashes, etc. are all common issues of low/mid end smartphones.

They'll be issues of high end smartphones in 2/3 years, too.

I agree with OP on this. Updates (of any kind) on smartphones are toxic as fuck.

Honestly, 3 years is more than enough to upgrade again...

This is not a console, it's a device we use every single day of our lives for many hours while at that. If it's ok to update to mid gen consoles after 3 years, and then to another gen 3 years later, on a device for solely entertainment purposes, I don't see why updating phones every 3 years would be a problem. Most people use phones to work/research/watch movies/videos/play games and so on...

I think it's unfair to ask for something we use to that extent to last 5 years or more.

Personally, I update every single year and it's the best possible scenario for me: I sell my current phone for a good price, pay a small price to update (usually $100~$150) and I always have my phones under warranty for that reason on top of that.

If I waited 5 years to update, my current phone would worth almost nothing, so I'd have to pay $800 (or even more) from scratch or so. That's more than the symbolic price I pay to update every year. Not worth it.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

mZuzek said:
LipeJJ said:

Honestly, 3 years is more than enough to upgrade again...

This is not a console, it's a device we use every single day of our lives for many hours while at that. If it's ok to update to mid gen consoles after 3 years, and then to another gen 3 years later, on a device for solely entertainment purposes, I don't see why updating phones every 3 years would be a problem. Most people use phones to work/research/watch movies/videos/play games and so on...

It's exactly because it's an everyday device.

Consoles are actually among the most expendable things we use in terms of time. Most people who have cars use them everyday, and they last easily 5-6 years at least. Many people watch TV everyday, or even all day everyday, and TVs can also last 5-6 years easily. The computer (closest comparison you'd have to a smartphone) I'm using to type this message is nearly 6 years old and, other than being unable to run modern games, works absolutely fine. I think I can list just about anything I use daily that lasts much longer than a phone does, actually.

Well, define "lasting". A phone can last 5 years easily, if you don't mind some small lags too. That's also true for almost everything else. A car that traveled 100.000km (some people do that in their first 2 or 3 years of usage) wouldn't work perfectly well if it wasn't repared/fixed. 

Btw, my dad uses my old iPhone 5s and it works fine. It was bought in 2013, so it's literally 5 years old. Still works fine for him, and it still gets every new update the company releases. Of course it's not as fast as it was when it was bought, but I honestly think that is to be expected. My notebook also doesn't work exactly the same way it did 5 years ago. lol

mZuzek said:
LipeJJ said:

Well, define "lasting". A phone can last 5 years easily, if you don't mind some small lags too. That's also true for almost everything else. A car that traveled 100.000km (some people do that in their first 2 or 3 years of usage) wouldn't work perfectly well if it wasn't repared/fixed. 

Btw, my dad uses my old iPhone 5s and it works fine. It was bought in 2013, so it's literally 5 years old. Still works fine for him, and it still gets every new update the company releases. Of course it's not as fast as it was when it was bought, but I honestly think that is to be expected. My notebook also doesn't work exactly the same way it did 5 years ago. lol

Well, whatever. We've opposing mentalities, I think we can leave it at that.

Personally I'm all for what the OP is saying. I don't really like the smartphone world, even if I do appreciate all the quality-of-life improvements they can provide. What I mean to say is, although I'd like a smartphone-less world, I couldn't get rid of mine.

It's ok, I think I get your point.

To be honest with you, sometimes I say to myself that I'd like a smartphone-less world too. Interacting was more natural, dynamic and interesting... everyone seems to be behind their screens nowadays. It affects even my own family... I remember people talking to each other a lot when I was little, now everyone seems anxious about texting something on their phones and the conversations became quicker and rarer. 

Someday when I have children, I'll definitely limit smartphone usage a lot so that doesn't happen.