By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Disgusted with "Smartphones"

CrazyGamer2017 said:
haxxiy said:

TL, DR: the smartphone market is based on 1) planned obsolescence; 2) breach of privacy and personal data; 3) near-monopolies; 4) gimmicks and other feature creep intended to catch more guileless consumers, or force the old ones to update.

About point 2) the exact way to put it is: Mass surveillance. Also you forgot 5) When you see the ridiculous/outrageous prices of new smart phones: A scam to get people's money and planned obsolescence is the cherry on top of the cake. Not only people pay unthinkable prices for those phones but a year later they are convinced by those big companies that they MUST buy a new phone or they are not "cool" anymore.

No offense to anyone but the word "smart" in smart phones definitely does not describe those who buy them...

Is not like your high end phone becomes useless in a year. My current Motorola is 4 years old now. Some people just have a compulsion to own the newest release.on day 1. Any device that allows  internet connection is a tracking device, including your PS4.

Around the Network
CuCabeludo said:

Is not like your high end phone becomes useless in a year. My current Motorola is 4 years old now. Some people just have a compulsion to own the newest release.on day 1. Any device that allows  internet connection is a tracking device, including your PS4.

Well my PS4 cannot inform anyone whenever I leave the house to go somewhere can it? All it can do is inform about someone using it at any given time. But since I am not stupid enough to associate a credit card to my account, my PS4 can't even say it is me using it. But even if it could, I'm a citizen of my country so the government knows who I am and where I live anyway so this info is not something new to them should they use my PS4 to know who I am.

Whereas your phone not only can snitch your actual identity but your location ALL the time and EVERYWHERE since most people take their phones everywhere with them. Add to this, your convos, your messages, your pictures, your contacts etc... You'd think that with such a tool that they'd at least give it away for free but no, they have the audacity to charge you to be their pawn and they charge you a lot for it when you see how high smart phone prices can go.

As for people with a compulsion to own the newest phone every time it comes to the market they are that one step even more pawns of the system.

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 12 May 2018

CrazyGamer2017 said:
CuCabeludo said:

Well my PS4 cannot inform anyone whenever I leave the house to go somewhere can it? All it can do is inform about someone using it at any given time. But since I am not stupid enough to associate a credit card to my account, my PS4 can't even say it is me using it. But even if it could, I'm a citizen of my country so the government knows who I am and where I live anyway so this info is not something new to them should they use my PS4 to know who I am.

Whereas your phone not only can snitch your actual identity but your location ALL the time and EVERYWHERE since most people take their phones everywhere with them. Add to this, your convos, your messages, your pictures, your contacts etc... You'd think that with such a tool that they'd at least give it away for free but no, they have the audacity to charge you to be their pawn and they charge you a lot for it when you see how high smart phone prices can go.

As for people with a compulsion to own the newest phone every time it comes to the market they are that one step even more pawns of the system.

Yeah but you cant communicate with anybody without one outside. I use mine extensively for work/family/friends. I almost never use my home phone anymore. I navigate, see news, watch movies when i am traveling and cant use a computer.

John2290 said:
Half this forum sickens me. If you had a phone from the early to mid 00's you'd know how cumbersome they were, they were thick as well as wide and for fuck sake anyone going back further than that...what are you like? Damn things were bricks in your pocket. Light bricks but still fucking bricks. Nostalgia kills even the thought of useful technology. Fuck nostalgia. We've never had ot better.

Except modern feature phones are way smaller then all smartphones and as a phone, they're more useful. For people who want to be a bit more off the social grid, this is a QoL improvement over a smartphone.

mZuzek said:
d21lewis said:

Are those real people? I mean they look like models posing for a picture.

I'm quite sure they're real people, and they're likely models too. But this is a situation that happens in real life, in fact it happens quite often.

Begs the question where the problem is.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

What's really disgusting is the grip the Iphone has over western markets.

It's like consumers do not care at all about it's insanely high price.

areason said:

It's not just "like". They really don't care. And why would they if they have the money.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
areason said:

It's not just "like". They really don't care. And why would they if they have the money.

Because people are paying a lot of money for basically a disposable. People switch smartphones quicker then feature phones. That's a huge increase in material (and enviromental) costs.

WolfpackN64 said:
vivster said:

Because people are paying a lot of money for basically a disposable. People switch smartphones quicker then feature phones. That's a huge increase in material (and enviromental) costs.

Yep, people also buy a lot of plastic wrapped sweets instead of eating an apple. What's your point?

vivster said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Yep, people also buy a lot of plastic wrapped sweets instead of eating an apple. What's your point?

Yeah, but we don't mine for sugar with child labor in Africa and the plastic industry is quite high tech. What's your point?