By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Disgusted with "Smartphones"

Conina said:
LipeJJ said:

I remember people talking to each other a lot when I was little, now everyone seems anxious about texting something on their phones and the conversations became quicker and rarer. 

Now find the picture of the whole family reading the newspaper at the dinner table.

Nonsense comparison, dude.

Around the Network

I jumped on the smartphone bandwagon relatively late, like 2012 or so...and honestly, I can’t imagine not having one now. I remember having to bring my phone, iPod, Tomtom GPS, and a camera every time I went on vacation or travelled, and holy hell that was annoying in retrospect. Having all my electronic needs in one package is incredibly convenient, and being able to check email and IMs when I’m out of the office keeps me from being bombarded when I get back after any extended period of time.

Sure they can be distractions, and the planned obsolescence thing is garbage, but trying to go out or do my job with my old flip phone seems genuinely painful now.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

I'd go completely insane without mine. It is an extremely powerful tool.

mZuzek said:

Now find the picture of the whole family reading the newspaper at the dinner table.

Family members who don't want to socialize with each other tend to be in separate rooms. It's pretty hard to photograph that behaviour, don't you think?

Conina said:
mZuzek said:

Family members who don't want to socialize with each other tend to be in separate rooms. It's pretty hard to photograph that behaviour, don't you think?

You know what I'm talking about.

Around the Network
Conina said:
LipeJJ said:

I remember people talking to each other a lot when I was little, now everyone seems anxious about texting something on their phones and the conversations became quicker and rarer. 

Lol, I didn't mean talking in public with strangers, I meant in my family (and on my friends' families). That happens with most families these days... it's undeniable.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

haxxiy said:

TL, DR: the smartphone market is based on 1) planned obsolescence; 2) breach of privacy and personal data; 3) near-monopolies; 4) gimmicks and other feature creep intended to catch more guileless consumers, or force the old ones to update.

About point 2) the exact way to put it is: Mass surveillance. Also you forgot 5) When you see the ridiculous/outrageous prices of new smart phones: A scam to get people's money and planned obsolescence is the cherry on top of the cake. Not only people pay unthinkable prices for those phones but a year later they are convinced by those big companies that they MUST buy a new phone or they are not "cool" anymore.

No offense to anyone but the word "smart" in smart phones definitely does not describe those who buy them...

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 11 May 2018

mZuzek said:
Conina said:

Are those real people? I mean they look like models posing for a picture.

Twitter: @d21lewis

d21lewis said:
mZuzek said:

I'm quite sure they're real people, and they're likely models too. But this is a situation that happens in real life, in fact it happens quite often.

mZuzek said:
d21lewis said:

I'm quite sure they're real people, and they're likely models too. But this is a situation that happens in real life, in fact it happens quite often.

Plot Twist: They're all playing a multi player game and it brought them all closer together!

Twitter: @d21lewis