By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Disgusted with "Smartphones"

WolfpackN64 said:
vivster said:

Yep, people also buy a lot of plastic wrapped sweets instead of eating an apple. What's your point?

Yeah, but we don't mine for sugar with child labor in Africa and the plastic industry is quite high tech. What's your point?

That isn't an issue unique to smartphones, let alone Apple. That was my point.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
areason said:
What's really disgusting is the grip the Iphone has over western markets.

It's like consumers do not care at all about it's insanely high price.

It's not just "like". They really don't care. And why would they if they have the money.

They don't have the money, people are spending a rather significant part of their income over a phone.

Love my smartphone it's by far the best electronic invention of the last 50+ years, wish we had them in the 90s/2000s because I'd have so many more photos/videos of loved ones and friends.

areason said:
vivster said:

It's not just "like". They really don't care. And why would they if they have the money.

They don't have the money, people are spending a rather significant part of their income over a phone.

So what? If they see enough value in it. Less money they can spend on tobacco, alcohol and tourism

And that "phone" can replace dozens of other devices: https://www.geckoandfly.com/13143/50-things-smartphone-replaced-will-replace-future/

Conina said:
areason said:

So what? If they see enough value in it. Less money they can spend on tobacco, alcohol and tourism

And that "phone" can replace dozens of other devices: https://www.geckoandfly.com/13143/50-things-smartphone-replaced-will-replace-future/

You need to compare the iphone to it's competition. It is overpriced compared to android devices.

If consumers were price sensitive they could get the same iphone that they have now for a cheaper price, but they aren't. 

Around the Network
areason said:

You need to compare the iphone to it's competition. It is overpriced compared to android devices.

If consumers were price sensitive they could get the same iphone that they have now for a cheaper price, but they aren't. 

Please spare us all these generalizations.

Many consumers prefer the iPhone, many more prefer Android. Both OS have advantages and disadvantages. There are also many overpriced Android devices. There ain't "the iPhone", there are different models in different price categories.

Conina said:
areason said:

Many consumers prefer the iPhone, many more prefer Android. Both OS have advantages and disadvantages. There are also many overpriced Android devices. There ain't "the iPhone", there are different models in different price categories.

User preferences don't make iphones overpriced. Lack of price sensitivity creates that. 

areason said:
Conina said:

User preferences don't make iphones overpriced. Lack of price sensitivity creates that. 

Where is the lack of price sensivity when most consumers don't buy iPhones or "flagship" android phones but buy cheaper phones instead?

Soundwave said:

Love my smartphone it's by far the best electronic invention of the last 50+ years, wish we had them in the 90s/2000s because I'd have so many more photos/videos of loved ones and friends.

If you didn't have it, you'd probably just have a camera for events with friends and family.