By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Disgusted with "Smartphones"

What bothers me is that most companies treat their new customers better than their existing customers (because people don't like to be hassled to switch providers), so if you want to look for the cheapest service, you are going to need to cycle between providers.

Around the Network

I jumped on the smartphone bandwagon relatively late, like 2012 or so...and honestly, I can’t imagine not having one now. I remember having to bring my phone, iPod, Tomtom GPS, and a camera every time I went on vacation or travelled, and holy hell that was annoying in retrospect. Having all my electronic needs in one package is incredibly convenient, and being able to check email and IMs when I’m out of the office keeps me from being bombarded when I get back after any extended period of time.

Sure they can be distractions, and the planned obsolescence thing is garbage, but trying to go out or do my job with my old flip phone seems genuinely painful now.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

I'd go completely insane without mine. It is an extremely powerful tool.

mZuzek said:

Now find the picture of the whole family reading the newspaper at the dinner table.

Nonsense comparison, dude.

Family members who don't want to socialize with each other tend to be in separate rooms. It's pretty hard to photograph that behaviour, don't you think?

Conina said:
LipeJJ said:

I remember people talking to each other a lot when I was little, now everyone seems anxious about texting something on their phones and the conversations became quicker and rarer. 

Lol, I didn't mean talking in public with strangers, I meant in my family (and on my friends' families). That happens with most families these days... it's undeniable.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

TL, DR: the smartphone market is based on 1) planned obsolescence; 2) breach of privacy and personal data; 3) near-monopolies; 4) gimmicks and other feature creep intended to catch more guileless consumers, or force the old ones to update.

About point 2) the exact way to put it is: Mass surveillance. Also you forgot 5) When you see the ridiculous/outrageous prices of new smart phones: A scam to get people's money and planned obsolescence is the cherry on top of the cake. Not only people pay unthinkable prices for those phones but a year later they are convinced by those big companies that they MUST buy a new phone or they are not "cool" anymore.

No offense to anyone but the word "smart" in smart phones definitely does not describe those who buy them...

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 11 May 2018

mZuzek said:
Conina said:

Family members who don't want to socialize with each other tend to be in separate rooms. It's pretty hard to photograph that behaviour, don't you think?

You know what I'm talking about.

Are those real people? I mean they look like models posing for a picture.

mZuzek said:
d21lewis said:

Are those real people? I mean they look like models posing for a picture.

I'm quite sure they're real people, and they're likely models too. But this is a situation that happens in real life, in fact it happens quite often.

Plot Twist: They're all playing a multi player game and it brought them all closer together!

OdinHades said:

Get yourself an old blackberry. I have a Blackberry Classic since 6 months or so and I'm loving it. It bugs you with some stupid amazon updates at the start, but after that you won't hear from it again. There simply are no more updates besides the initial stuff. Nobody cares about Blackberry OS anymore and that's a good thing. You also don't have to worry about hacks too much, because hackers also don't care about BB OS!

Other than that, the device does everything I need. Sure, it's a little slow and it doesn't have flashy animations. But it gets jobs like SMS, phone calls, some internet browsing and all that shit perfectly done. Most apps you know from android are missing, but in most cases you will get the same funcitonality with the browser. I'm doing online banking with the browser and I check the times for the train with the browser. Works perfectly ok.

The device is also built rock-solid and the battery lasts me 2-3 days without a recharge. Plus, because nobody wants it, it's cheap as fuck. I got mine brand-new for 50 €. If you are disgusted with the modern day android and iOS stuff, I would very much recommend you trying it out.

As a fellow BlackBerry Classic user, I can say that this man speaks the truth. And the Classic has access to the Amazon app store, so it's not like it's completely been abandoned and left to die. Those Amazon apps weren't originally built for it, so some of them can run a little funky and are touchscreen only, but ah well. The native BlackBerry Appworld is much smaller, but a few days ago, RIM changed the terms-of-service to require all apps in it to be free, so a lot of the high-rated apps that you would have once had to pay for are now completely free! I downloaded a few a couple of days ago.

People look at me like I just pulled out a stone tablet when they see my BlackBerry, but I am sticking to this thing until it breaths its last. I freaking hate touchscreen only phones.

Well, welcome to our club. I have an old Lumia that I keep around for the camera and an iPhone X that is basically sitting there gathering dust. It got so bad I had to start throwing older portable equipment away.

My last PSVita and the gift Galaxy phone I was given are now the property of a random hobo...