By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who else is ready for Rage 2? Announce at E3 is looking highly likely.

curl-6 said:
Chazore said:

Not really. It ran like garbage on my last build, and it's not exactly friendly with my current one. It also didn't help that at the time, id was really into the whole megtatexturing tech at the time (they still are) and as a result, each time I looked around, I would see textures popping in and out, some even meshing poorly around some areas, like the ground area when you first drive into the small village with Goodman.

I also remember suffering dips during my 360 playthrough, as well as long load times.

Dunno on PC but on 360 it's an almost locked 60fps, with Digital Foundry finding only a "handful" of dropped frames across all their tests.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-rage-face-off

For all my gripes with the game, framerate is the one thing it got undeniably right.

Screen tear was also an issue at the time:

"it's clear that the additional load on GPU fill-rate caused by this liberal application of full res alpha can prove to be too much - we see a momentary drop in performance plus screen-tear."

"The effects are short-lived however and don't tend to impact on your enjoyment of the game at all - the screen-tear is definitely more noticeable than the frame-rate drop, but you get the idea this was all factored in and assessed by id. There's a feeling that its load balancing tech isn't quite so deeply applied in the driving sections as it is in the shooting - and it's almost certain that rendering the Wasteland offers far more of a challenge to the engine than the enclosed corridor shooting of most of the FPS missions."

Around the Network
Chazore said:
curl-6 said:

Dunno on PC but on 360 it's an almost locked 60fps, with Digital Foundry finding only a "handful" of dropped frames across all their tests.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-rage-face-off

For all my gripes with the game, framerate is the one thing it got undeniably right.

Screen tear was also an issue at the time:

"it's clear that the additional load on GPU fill-rate caused by this liberal application of full res alpha can prove to be too much - we see a momentary drop in performance plus screen-tear."

"The effects are short-lived however and don't tend to impact on your enjoyment of the game at all - the screen-tear is definitely more noticeable than the frame-rate drop, but you get the idea this was all factored in and assessed by id. There's a feeling that its load balancing tech isn't quite so deeply applied in the driving sections as it is in the shooting - and it's almost certain that rendering the Wasteland offers far more of a challenge to the engine than the enclosed corridor shooting of most of the FPS missions."

It's not perfect, but as DF put it, it's "as close to a solid 60FPS as you're going to see all year". 

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

It's not perfect, but as DF put it, it's "as close to a solid 60FPS as you're going to see all year". 

Close, but not entirely. Hence why we have the FPS tweak threads for the PC version, as well as the PC wiki showing users how to bypass the very real and present issues. 

Chazore said:
curl-6 said:

Close, but not entirely. Hence why we have the FPS tweak threads for the PC version, as well as the PC wiki showing users how to bypass the very real and present issues. 

I have heard that the PC version has issues, especially on AMD cards. I was only referring to the 360 build.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I really love Rage, love the setting anf art design. Hope it won't look too different from the first and give me more post apocalypse settings.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Asus PG27UQ gaming on 3840 x 2160 @120 Hz GSYNC HDR| HTC Vive Pro :3 (Vive Pro 2 pre-ordered!!!)

Around the Network

Yes please, I loved RAGE.

Mr Puggsly said:

Well it ran fine on my PCs and I never had a high end gaming PC. I always buy low/mid range stuff, like $99 video cards.

I played it on 360 and it runs great, genuinely one of the best optimized for the platform. I don't recall load times, I'm guessing it was pretty standard for the consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmNqbxxp1m4

I have no real thoughts on the PC games/ports, I generally play on console. Not the best visuals but it just works.

I find console gamers don't tend to be as picky as myself... Where-as they might be happy with sub-optimal resolutions, pop-in, reduction in general rendering quality, low framerates and bugger all Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering.

id Tech 5 did perform well considering it was an Xbox 360 game on Xbox 360 hardware, no doubt about it... But this is the PC we are talking about here, there is certainly a higher expectation.

Mr Puggsly said:

I don't recall much performance issues on 360, but texture pop in was noticeable. Not that important though, it was a technical achievement on limited specs as the video I linked showed.

I may replay on X1, that generally improves performance, pop in, and loading.

I still notice things like texture pop-in on many Xbox 360 games on my Xbox One X, even enhanced titles.
Sometimes the issue isn't actually the hardware itself... But at the game engine level.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

A plus from me on rage, loved it, great fun and technically brilliant on the PS3 when it was struggling with games of this kind.

Yes the world was a little empty (didnt really like the driving sections) and the hubs were a little small, but the animations and fighting AI were pretty good.

Rumour has it that Rebellion are doing the game.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

I only played the demo of the first game, and got bored pretty quick, so this isn't exactly high on my list of games I'd like to see from Bethesda.

Madword said:
A plus from me on rage, loved it, great fun and technically brilliant on the PS3 when it was struggling with games of this kind.

Yes the world was a little empty (didnt really like the driving sections) and the hubs were a little small, but the animations and fighting AI were pretty good.

Rumour has it that Rebellion are doing the game.

Interesting. That would explain why Pete Hines previously hinted at Doom 2 at E3. id isn't really big enough to do both Rage 2 and Doom 2 at the same time afaik. I'm ok with Rebellion making Rage 2, the Sniper Elite games are fun.