By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who else is ready for Rage 2? Announce at E3 is looking highly likely.

Bristow9091 said:
I never played the first game, heard it was pretty bad from the people I know that had played it, so didn't bother buying it to see either...

It certainly wasn't bad. Neither was it amazing. Got an 81 meta from critics. It had some issues, the storytelling wasn't great, the driving portion felt pointless, and the game ended abruptly, making people feel like they payed for half a game instead of a full game, even though it actually took like 20+ hours to beat the game if you did all the side stuff. However, the things it was good at, it truly excelled at. It had excellent shooting mechanics, the best enemy AI in an FPS to date (yeah, imo the AI in Rage has still not been surpassed by FPS devs 8 years later), and fun weapons like the wingstick, a bladed boomerang that tracked enemies and was kind of OP.

It was certainly a good enough game to warrant a sequel, id has improved since Rage 1 released, Doom 2016 reviewed 4 points higher at 85 and got a GOTY nomination at the 2016 Game Awards and won Best Action game there. I trust they can remedy the issues with the first Rage and make Rage 2 the game they wanted Rage 1 to be.



Around the Network

We've got more Rage 2 hints today:




The clock hands are at 5:14 and the rocket says 5-14. Announcement coming on Monday it seems.



Chazore said:
I liked RAGE, but due to how id tech 5 ran, well, the game ran like arse on most platforms and systems. Seeing Rage 2 running on the new id tech 6 engine would definitely be a nice sight to see.

You must be confused.

Rage is one of the best optimized games on 7th gen at 60 fps and the PC version runs well on modest PCs.

Anywho, Rage was a good shooter but the pacing kinda sucked due to RPG elements. Kinda like Wolfenstein 2, scenes outside of actual missions often felt like a slog.



Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I really enjoyed Rage, so I'm interested with this one if it's real.



             

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

first one didnt live up to its potential, so im interested to see where they take this one



NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Chazore said:
I liked RAGE, but due to how id tech 5 ran, well, the game ran like arse on most platforms and systems. Seeing Rage 2 running on the new id tech 6 engine would definitely be a nice sight to see.

You must be confused.

Rage is one of the best optimized games on 7th gen at 60 fps and the PC version runs well on modest PCs.

Anywho, Rage was a good shooter but the pacing kinda sucked due to RPG elements. Kinda like Wolfenstein 2, scenes outside of actual missions often felt like a slog.

Not really. It ran like garbage on my last build, and it's not exactly friendly with my current one. It also didn't help that at the time, id was really into the whole megtatexturing tech at the time (they still are) and as a result, each time I looked around, I would see textures popping in and out, some even meshing poorly around some areas, like the ground area when you first drive into the small village with Goodman.

I also remember suffering dips during my 360 playthrough, as well as long load times.

 

Also: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/RAGE

The list of games using tech 5 was also very small: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_5

Only a few came out alright like Dishonored and the Evil Within 1-2. Wolfenstein TNO suffered numerous issues on PC, that still need to be sorted out via console commands. TNO and other titles under tech 5 are locked at 60, which means zero support for G and Freesync monitors, while tech 6's DOOM supports beyond 144fps, and Wolfenstein 2 as well. 



shikamaru317 said:
Bristow9091 said:
I never played the first game, heard it was pretty bad from the people I know that had played it, so didn't bother buying it to see either...

It certainly wasn't bad. Neither was it amazing. Got an 81 meta from critics. It had some issues, the storytelling wasn't great, the driving portion felt pointless, and the game ended abruptly, making people feel like they payed for half a game instead of a full game, even though it actually took like 20+ hours to beat the game if you did all the side stuff. However, the things it was good at, it truly excelled at. It had excellent shooting mechanics, the best enemy AI in an FPS to date (yeah, imo the AI in Rage has still not been surpassed by FPS devs 8 years later), and fun weapons like the wingstick, a bladed boomerang that tracked enemies and was kind of OP.

It was certainly a good enough game to warrant a sequel, id has improved since Rage 1 released, Doom 2016 reviewed 4 points higher at 85 and got a GOTY nomination at the 2016 Game Awards and won Best Action game there. I trust they can remedy the issues with the first Rage and make Rage 2 the game they wanted Rage 1 to be.

Maybe if they decide to remaster it (Would be funny if this was actually an announcement for a remaster, lol) I'll think about picking it up... or if this is a sequel being teased, if it looks any good I'll bite, we'll see though...



Chazore said:

Not really. It ran like garbage on my last build, and it's not exactly friendly with my current one. It also didn't help that at the time, id was really into the whole megtatexturing tech at the time (they still are) and as a result, each time I looked around, I would see textures popping in and out, some even meshing poorly around some areas, like the ground area when you first drive into the small village with Goodman.

I also remember suffering dips during my 360 playthrough, as well as long load times.

 

Also: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/RAGE

The list of games using tech 5 was also very small: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_5

Only a few came out alright like Dishonored and the Evil Within 1-2. Wolfenstein TNO suffered numerous issues on PC, that still need to be sorted out via console commands. TNO and other titles under tech 5 are locked at 60, which means zero support for G and Freesync monitors, while tech 6's DOOM supports beyond 144fps, and Wolfenstein 2 as well. 

This generation is when allot of the tech in Id Tech 5 would have truly showed what it was capable of.

Last generation consoles simply didn't have the DRAM or Bandwidth to make something like Megatexturing/Partially Resident Textures/Virtual Texturing truly shine... And that did impact the PC version which should have fixed up all the shortcomings of the anemic 7th gen console hardware... But the development time simply wasn't put into it.



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

This generation is when allot of the tech in Id Tech 5 would have truly showed what it was capable of.

Last generation consoles simply didn't have the DRAM or Bandwidth to make something like Megatexturing/Partially Resident Textures/Virtual Texturing truly shine... And that did impact the PC version which should have fixed up all the shortcomings of the anemic 7th gen console hardware... But the development time simply wasn't put into it.

And it shows, even today. Having the game on an SSD, you'd think would help with the megatexturing pop in issues, but alas it does not. 

Tech 6 just seems like a step above anything tech 5 was doing, with it performing that much better and generally supporting a higher refresh rate.



Chazore said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You must be confused.

Rage is one of the best optimized games on 7th gen at 60 fps and the PC version runs well on modest PCs.

Anywho, Rage was a good shooter but the pacing kinda sucked due to RPG elements. Kinda like Wolfenstein 2, scenes outside of actual missions often felt like a slog.

Not really. It ran like garbage on my last build, and it's not exactly friendly with my current one. It also didn't help that at the time, id was really into the whole megtatexturing tech at the time (they still are) and as a result, each time I looked around, I would see textures popping in and out, some even meshing poorly around some areas, like the ground area when you first drive into the small village with Goodman.

I also remember suffering dips during my 360 playthrough, as well as long load times.

Also: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/RAGE

The list of games using tech 5 was also very small: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_5

Only a few came out alright like Dishonored and the Evil Within 1-2. Wolfenstein TNO suffered numerous issues on PC, that still need to be sorted out via console commands. TNO and other titles under tech 5 are locked at 60, which means zero support for G and Freesync monitors, while tech 6's DOOM supports beyond 144fps, and Wolfenstein 2 as well. 

Well it ran fine on my PCs and I never had a high end gaming PC. I always buy low/mid range stuff, like $99 video cards.

I played it on 360 and it runs great, genuinely one of the best optimized for the platform. I don't recall load times, I'm guessing it was pretty standard for the consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmNqbxxp1m4

I have no real thoughts on the PC games/ports, I generally play on console. Not the best visuals but it just works.



Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)