By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who else is ready for Rage 2? Announce at E3 is looking highly likely.

Chazore said:

Not really. It ran like garbage on my last build, and it's not exactly friendly with my current one. It also didn't help that at the time, id was really into the whole megtatexturing tech at the time (they still are) and as a result, each time I looked around, I would see textures popping in and out, some even meshing poorly around some areas, like the ground area when you first drive into the small village with Goodman.

I also remember suffering dips during my 360 playthrough, as well as long load times.

Also: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/RAGE

The list of games using tech 5 was also very small: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_5

Only a few came out alright like Dishonored and the Evil Within 1-2. Wolfenstein TNO suffered numerous issues on PC, that still need to be sorted out via console commands. TNO and other titles under tech 5 are locked at 60, which means zero support for G and Freesync monitors, while tech 6's DOOM supports beyond 144fps, and Wolfenstein 2 as well. 

This generation is when allot of the tech in Id Tech 5 would have truly showed what it was capable of.

Last generation consoles simply didn't have the DRAM or Bandwidth to make something like Megatexturing/Partially Resident Textures/Virtual Texturing truly shine... And that did impact the PC version which should have fixed up all the shortcomings of the anemic 7th gen console hardware... But the development time simply wasn't put into it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

This generation is when allot of the tech in Id Tech 5 would have truly showed what it was capable of.

Last generation consoles simply didn't have the DRAM or Bandwidth to make something like Megatexturing/Partially Resident Textures/Virtual Texturing truly shine... And that did impact the PC version which should have fixed up all the shortcomings of the anemic 7th gen console hardware... But the development time simply wasn't put into it.

And it shows, even today. Having the game on an SSD, you'd think would help with the megatexturing pop in issues, but alas it does not. 

Tech 6 just seems like a step above anything tech 5 was doing, with it performing that much better and generally supporting a higher refresh rate.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You must be confused.

Rage is one of the best optimized games on 7th gen at 60 fps and the PC version runs well on modest PCs.

Anywho, Rage was a good shooter but the pacing kinda sucked due to RPG elements. Kinda like Wolfenstein 2, scenes outside of actual missions often felt like a slog.

Not really. It ran like garbage on my last build, and it's not exactly friendly with my current one. It also didn't help that at the time, id was really into the whole megtatexturing tech at the time (they still are) and as a result, each time I looked around, I would see textures popping in and out, some even meshing poorly around some areas, like the ground area when you first drive into the small village with Goodman.

I also remember suffering dips during my 360 playthrough, as well as long load times.

Also: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/RAGE

The list of games using tech 5 was also very small: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_5

Only a few came out alright like Dishonored and the Evil Within 1-2. Wolfenstein TNO suffered numerous issues on PC, that still need to be sorted out via console commands. TNO and other titles under tech 5 are locked at 60, which means zero support for G and Freesync monitors, while tech 6's DOOM supports beyond 144fps, and Wolfenstein 2 as well. 

Well it ran fine on my PCs and I never had a high end gaming PC. I always buy low/mid range stuff, like $99 video cards.

I played it on 360 and it runs great, genuinely one of the best optimized for the platform. I don't recall load times, I'm guessing it was pretty standard for the consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmNqbxxp1m4

I have no real thoughts on the PC games/ports, I generally play on console. Not the best visuals but it just works.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I think one of the main issues I had with Rage was that the game world wasn't very compelling. It felt kinda barebones and generic.

In a crowded market FPS games kinda need a hook to standout from the crowd, be it the atmosphere, storytelling, and plasmids of Bioshock, the insanely over-the-top "you are the ultimate killing machine" focus of Doom 2016, the scope and destructible environments of Battlefield, or the grittiness of the pre-PS4 Killzone games.

Rage didn't really have that special something.

Never played the first, see lots of mixed opinions for it. No interest in any sort of sequel. 

Edit: looking forward to Borderlands 3 though, love that franchise. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
curl-6 said:

I think one of the main issues I had with Rage was that the game world wasn't very compelling. It felt kinda barebones and generic.

In a crowded market FPS games kinda need a hook to standout from the crowd, be it the atmosphere, storytelling, and plasmids of Bioshock, the insanely over-the-top "you are the ultimate killing machine" focus of Doom 2016, the scope and destructible environments of Battlefield, or the grittiness of the pre-PS4 Killzone games.

Rage didn't really have that special something.

I'd say that the world design was a hook for Mad Max fans, it is very similar.

That's actually the reason I bought it myself, I am a Mad Max fan. I dunno, it just didn't have much depth for me. Granted, neither does Doom 2016 but that game succeeded entirely on the strength of its ridiculously satisfying combat loop. If Rage 2 can do the same it might be worth a look, but the first game's combat I found just okay. Enemy behaviours were good but their designs and the weapons were nothing special.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 May 2018

I'm definitely interested, although at the same time, I'm worried due to the trends in the industry and the way Bethesda handled the newest Doom (and to clarify, I don't necessarily have anything bad to say about its quality, but I'm not sure how exactly to describe my problem with it either).

I cannot wait to see what id pull out of id Tech 6, and Vulkan.

Mr Puggsly said:

Well it ran fine on my PCs and I never had a high end gaming PC. I always buy low/mid range stuff, like $99 video cards.

I played it on 360 and it runs great, genuinely one of the best optimized for the platform. I don't recall load times, I'm guessing it was pretty standard for the consoles.

I have no real thoughts on the PC games/ports, I generally play on console. Not the best visuals but it just works.

You must have been lucky and not noticed any performance impacts. But that hasn't stopped others from citing it's faults and issues that plague it to this day. 

During my 360 days, the pop in and stuttering was quite noticeable.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You must have been lucky and not noticed any performance impacts. But that hasn't stopped others from citing it's faults and issues that plague it to this day. 

During my 360 days, the pop in and stuttering was quite noticeable.

I don't recall much performance issues on 360, but texture pop in was noticeable. Not that important though, it was a technical achievement on limited specs as the video I linked showed.

I may replay on X1, that generally improves performance, pop in, and loading.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)