By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo starts moving to a Wii-like “non-gamer” strategy for the Switch

After a launch year "aimed at Nintendo fans and avid game players," Nintendo is planning to target less-traditional game players in the Switch's second fiscal year. That's according to outgoing Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima, who spoke about widening the system's appeal in a recent investor Q&A.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/05/nintendo-starts-moving-to-a-wii-like-non-gamer-strategy-for-the-switch/

This should please the invester's and the none core gamers

Around the Network

Will they never learn...

Good to hear. They gotta get those 20 million units this fiscal year after all.

Can't tell if happy for sales and slightly interested in where this will go

Or if mad and cringing at Nintendo

Good. They aren't getting the 20 million any other way

Around the Network

Don't do it! Fuk no! In the long term it will do only harm. And it could also hurt others, not only Nintendo. Like the bad ingluence caused by Wii's casual focus, which also damaged Xbox.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Well, first of all I hate the term "non-gamers". They play games, so they are gamers. Whatever the self-declared super duper elite hardest of the hardcore think and say.

Secondly I don't see it. Catching the Wii-folk could be easy. A new Wii-sports like game, they already do have the Wiimotes build in as Joycons. There are 100 million people that followed that path. Even if they bring in only a fourth it is great, because these 25 million could combine with other players, as Switch support also different playstiles. But no, I can't see them doing it. Whatever people say, Labo is great and all, but it is no Wii-sports. And so far I see no sign from Nintendo they are doing that.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

AlfredoTurkey said:
Will they never learn...

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
Don't do it! Fuk no! In the long term it will do only harm. And it could also hurt others, not only Nintendo. Like the bad ingluence caused by Wii's casual focus, which also damaged Xbox.

"How dare Nintendo make games for people who aren't me, they should only pander to me and people who are like me! Grrr!" Calm down, nobody's taking Metroid Prime 4 away from you, Nintendo is simply broadening the audience of the Switch to people outside the traditional gamer. Don't like it? Well too bad, you'll still get your core games, but Nintendo's focus is on expanding the scope. 

Man we as a community can really be condescending and elitist lol

This is fine so long as they don't abandon "core gamers" or w/e. The Wii essentially did that from the start, and the Switch seems to clearly be a product of that learned lesson. With the games they've announced and continued 3rd party ports to the system, there's not much to be worried about yet.

Johnw1104 said:
Man we as a community can really be condescending and elitist lol

This is fine so long as they don't abandon "core gamers" or w/e. The Wii essentially did that from the start, and the Switch seems to clearly be a product of that learned lesson. With the games they've announced and continued 3rd party ports to the system, there's not much to be worried about yet.

No it didn't. The whole "abandonment" issue is largely a myth. Sure, Nintendo's methods were misguided at times, but they still made their core games, more core games than the "Blue Ocean" type software.