By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo starts moving to a Wii-like “non-gamer” strategy for the Switch

Kai_Mao said:
mysteryman said:
Are they adding a DVD player?

That apparently did wonders in getting the PS2 to sell over 150+ million. :P

In all seriousness, its funny reading all of these "elitist" and "hardcore gamer" posts. I don't see a problem with what Nintendo are doing. Remember one of Iwata's greatest quotes? Games should be about fun for everyone. What's wrong with having a variety of people playing video games besides the typical gamer? One of my favorite times as a gamer was seeing my family and friends play on the Wii and I've been playing games since I first had the Sega Genesis and the SNES. And most of my family and friends are not necessarily part of the gamer description. So what? It was fun playing games, which is one of my long-time hobbies, with those who usually don't.

And even then, Nintendo still has Smash, Metroid Prime 4, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Yoshi, Octopath Traveler, Monolith Soft's next project, Travis Strikes Back, Wolfenstein 2, Crash Trilogy, Okami, etc. coming to the Switch. So all of this nonsense about Nintendo abandoning core gamers is unwarranted. It was unwarranted back during the Wii/DS days. Those are two of my many favorite consoles. The DS not only had games like Brain Age and Nintendogs, but a plethora of JRPGs, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and new series that found their niche on DS like Layton and Ace Attorney. Heck, do people forget that Animal Crossing has a solid female fanbase in Japan (and I'm sure in the rest of the world)? Does that series scream "core gamer?"

What's "funny" is people who will defend almost anything their prefered company does. If EA or Activision would try a "non-gamer" approach people would start a shitstorm. But Nintendo can't do no wrong.

What good have casual-/mobile gamers brought to console-/PC gaming? Wii caused huge ammount of bad influnce with its casual succes, and was one of the main reasons why XBOX failed so badly this generation (and during the last years of Xbox 360) when it tried to lure casual gamers with Kinect and other gimmicks.

And where are the casual Wii-gamers? Playing with their phones. Let's keep it that way. Better for everyone. Nintendos core-games are already pretty casual, so in my opinion they should broaden their games to more hardcore stuff, not more casual.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
contestgamer said:

Brain age... I'm sorry but someone else can make brain age, I'd rather get the next Zelda a year early. They're not in the same universe and I know which most would prefer. Brain age is a waste of Nintendos talent. Their talent demands AAA perfection. Indies can deliver the low budget casual stuff. Again MM wasnt buggy and Nintendo gave the devs 1 year to make it. In fact they put them under such pressure with 16-20 hour work days that many of the developers developed depression and health complications which made its way in to the game in the form of tonality, characters, dialogue. etc. It tried and tested and works.

We praise Sony for allowing creative freedom for their first party developers so why can't we say the same when Nintendo allows their developers, like Tsubasa Sakaguchi who directed Splatoon and is the director for Labo because he wanted to (go read his interview on Labo if you want), give them something similar?

You need a few creatives that can manage development. But the developers themselves should be worked to the bone to pump it out efficiently, theres absolutely no reason to go soft on them

The DS and Wii crowd? Good luck with that. The Nintendo Switch is too expensive to be the next Wii, it has a very different appeal. If they're really interested in getting the casuals on board, they need games like GTA, COD and Fortnite, those are the big games that people who are not Nintendo fans or who only buy one or two games a year will be playing. If they're trying to get the grandmas again, I think they're just wasting their time and efforts.

TheMisterManGuy said:
contestgamer said:

Brain age... I'm sorry but someone else can make brain age, I'd rather get the next Zelda a year early. They're not in the same universe and I know which most would prefer. Brain age is a waste of Nintendos talent. Their talent demands AAA perfection. Indies can deliver the low budget casual stuff. Again MM wasnt buggy and Nintendo gave the devs 1 year to make it. In fact they put them under such pressure with 16-20 hour work days that many of the developers developed depression and health complications which made its way in to the game in the form of tonality, characters, dialogue. etc. It tried and tested and works.

You do realize that Majora's Mask only took a year to make because it heavily recycled every asset from OoT, all the way down to the interface. Besides, it was more of a fun challenge by the developers rather than a company wide mandate. MM was an anomaly in the Zelda series, and that can't be the rule for every game, not when AAA games are insanely expensive to develop these days. And whether you like Brain Age or not, letting Nintendo's developers make concepts like it is important. It gives them a chance to breath from the AAA stuff, while still encouraging hard work and creativity from them. A Nintendo under your leadership would be putting out less and less games because AAA titles are expensive and time consuming. 

Just read up about MM development and see what they made them go through. Also read up about 80s'/90s nintendo and the conditions developers worked under. 16 hour days, sleeping in their offices. I dont know why you're so against this. It works. People under heavy pressure to not be fired will get the job done. 

contestgamer said:

You need a few creatives that can manage development. But the developers themselves should be worked to the bone to pump it out efficiently, theres absolutely no reason to go soft on them

Well, yeah. Hard work is important, but not to the extent that your suggesting. Nintendo should be demanding the best from their staff, but they should also treat them like actual humans who need to eat and sleep. There should be a balance, don't moddy cuddle your developers, but don't abuse them like a Korean animation studio. 

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
contestgamer said:

Well, yeah. Hard work is important, but not to the extent that your suggesting. Nintendo should be demanding the best from their staff, but they should also treat them like actual humans who need to eat and sleep. There should be a balance, don't moddy cuddle your developers, but don't abuse them like a Korean animation studio. 

Why? I dont understand your issue with this. You can only squeeze out the maximum amount of juice with the maximum amount of pressure applied. Squeeze these developers hard and they will deliver.

contestgamer said:

Just read up about MM development and see what they made them go through. Also read up about 80s'/90s nintendo and the conditions developers worked under. 16 hour days, sleeping in their offices. I dont know why you're so against this. It works. People under heavy pressure to not be fired will get the job done. 

Even if you work your employees to an inch of their lives, your not going to get a AAA Zelda every year. That's impossible, especially this day and age. And yes, I'm sure Nintendo had instances of office sleeping and long work hours, but that's not the same as a Konami-like dictatorship. Besides, that was back when AAA game budgets and team sizes weren't as large as they are now. 

contestgamer said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

You do realize that Majora's Mask only took a year to make because it heavily recycled every asset from OoT, all the way down to the interface. Besides, it was more of a fun challenge by the developers rather than a company wide mandate. MM was an anomaly in the Zelda series, and that can't be the rule for every game, not when AAA games are insanely expensive to develop these days. And whether you like Brain Age or not, letting Nintendo's developers make concepts like it is important. It gives them a chance to breath from the AAA stuff, while still encouraging hard work and creativity from them. A Nintendo under your leadership would be putting out less and less games because AAA titles are expensive and time consuming. 

You seriously are not against that? There health is not as important as you getting the game? We can all wait as long as we need. 

contestgamer said:

Why? I dont understand your issue with this. You can only squeeze out the maximum amount of juice with the maximum amount of pressure applied. Squeeze these developers hard and they will deliver.

Because you can get the same results without going to such extremes. A Nintendo with respectable working conditions still gives us Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild.  It's important for Nintendo to demand as much effort as possible from their staff, but that doesn't mean they have to resort to abusive and shady tactics to do so.  

MasonADC said:
contestgamer said:

You seriously are not against that? There health is not as important as you getting the game? We can all wait as long as we need. 

This is a very small group of people in absolute terms that we're talking about. Few thousand. Millions play their games. Those millions are more important than the well being of a few thousand. Lets look at a 30 year stretch. We can have 10 Zelda games if they work them 50% more or we can have 6 if they dont. Nobody knows if theyre going to be alive 30 years from now - that's a 4 game swing that people might miss out on in their lives over just a 30 year stretch. These developers need to be maximized.