By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo starts moving to a Wii-like “non-gamer” strategy for the Switch

Kai_Mao said:
contestgamer said:

Brain age... I'm sorry but someone else can make brain age, I'd rather get the next Zelda a year early. They're not in the same universe and I know which most would prefer. Brain age is a waste of Nintendos talent. Their talent demands AAA perfection. Indies can deliver the low budget casual stuff. Again MM wasnt buggy and Nintendo gave the devs 1 year to make it. In fact they put them under such pressure with 16-20 hour work days that many of the developers developed depression and health complications which made its way in to the game in the form of tonality, characters, dialogue. etc. It tried and tested and works.

We praise Sony for allowing creative freedom for their first party developers so why can't we say the same when Nintendo allows their developers, like Tsubasa Sakaguchi who directed Splatoon and is the director for Labo because he wanted to (go read his interview on Labo if you want), give them something similar?

Yeah, if LABO doesn't get praised and nominated as a GOTY contender I am going to riot. Are you serious? Were you as uppset when Activision didn't get praised when it released that game where you collected physical figurines?

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Around the Network
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
Kai_Mao said:

We praise Sony for allowing creative freedom for their first party developers so why can't we say the same when Nintendo allows their developers, like Tsubasa Sakaguchi who directed Splatoon and is the director for Labo because he wanted to (go read his interview on Labo if you want), give them something similar?

Yeah, if LABO doesn't get praised and nominated as a GOTY contender I am going to riot. Are you serious? Were you as uppset when Activision didn't get praised when it released that game where you collected physical figurines?

That's not the argument. The point is, whether you like Labo or not, we should give credit to the developers for trying something new and unique. 

contestgamer said:
MasonADC said:

You seriously are not against that? There health is not as important as you getting the game? We can all wait as long as we need. 

This is a very small group of people in absolute terms that we're talking about. Few thousand. Millions play their games. Those millions are more important than the well being of a few thousand. Lets look at a 30 year stretch. We can have 10 Zelda games if they work them 50% more or we can have 6 if they dont. Nobody knows if theyre going to be alive 30 years from now - that's a 4 game swing that people might miss out on in their lives over just a 30 year stretch. These developers need to be maximized. 

I really can't believe someone thinks like this.

MasonADC said:
contestgamer said:

This is a very small group of people in absolute terms that we're talking about. Few thousand. Millions play their games. Those millions are more important than the well being of a few thousand. Lets look at a 30 year stretch. We can have 10 Zelda games if they work them 50% more or we can have 6 if they dont. Nobody knows if theyre going to be alive 30 years from now - that's a 4 game swing that people might miss out on in their lives over just a 30 year stretch. These developers need to be maximized. 

I really can't believe someone thinks like this.

No one is forcing them to work, they can quit if they want.

TheMisterManGuy said:
contestgamer said:

Just read up about MM development and see what they made them go through. Also read up about 80s'/90s nintendo and the conditions developers worked under. 16 hour days, sleeping in their offices. I dont know why you're so against this. It works. People under heavy pressure to not be fired will get the job done. 

Even if you work your employees to an inch of their lives, your not going to get a AAA Zelda every year. That's impossible, especially this day and age. And yes, I'm sure Nintendo had instances of office sleeping and long work hours, but that's not the same as a Konami-like dictatorship. Besides, that was back when AAA game budgets and team sizes weren't as large as they are now. 

I dont understand your argument. So what if team sizes werent as big as they are now? Back in the 1800s we had factories work huge swaths of people to their max capacities. The only thing stopping this now are laws, but fortunately Japan still has an employer friendly society that allows them leeway in getting out the max of these developers. If they arent sleeping in sleeping bags then they arent doing their jobs well enough. I'm not asking for anything unreasonable, just make sure these developers are working the kind of hours that necessitates sleeping in the office at least half the week.

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Cobretti2 said:

Well they could make more games, lower costs of carts to 3rd party so they want to pt their games on the system and we as the gamers don't need to download 3/4 of the game and maybe if the game is complete on cart we will buy them and you know what they will make money from the sale.

From what I can tell, Nintendo is eating as much cost as they can on the larger Switch cartridges. And if not, well they're not going to loose a ton of money off of trying to resolve a complaint that most publishers don't really have TBH. 

WHy would publishers care if they are given a 1gb option? They will use that then force us to download.

Then we get shitty that the full game is not on the cart and don't buy it.

Then publisher goes "Nintendo gamers don't like our games" and stop making games. Then we are back to Wii U all over again were all we get is Nintendo 1st Party games.

Hiku said:
Would like to know the exact quote, but not going to read through the entire interview.
In spite of "non-gamer" being put in quotation marks in the topic title, that term was never used in the interview. Not even "gamer" was, according to Ctrl+F.

I can not copy and paste it here but look at the answer to question number 5.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

AlfredoTurkey said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

There's no real proof of that. The Switch is a mobile device that's able to distinguish itself from smartphones and conventional tablets. Being able to play with another person by passing a controller to them anywhere you are, is an appealing concept to the "Blue Ocean". Nintendo just needs to provide unique titles that can only be made possible by the Switch such as Nintendo Labo. 

There's no proof? How about the fact that since the Wii started to die (the last 3/4 of its life), no home console has been able to sell itself to the blue ocean? You think that's just a coincidence? How did 1,2 Switch do? Did it light the world up sales wise like BOTW? How about Labo? How's THAT game selling out of the gates? Taking the world by storm yet? No?

Causal gamers left the scene years and years ago. They're all on tablets and iPhones now, if they're out there at all. The reason the Switch has sold so well is because of BOTW and core gamers... not casuals. The reason 1,2 Switch released and disappeared from our collective conscience is because there's no one left to by stuff like that in mass. 

If Nintendo wants to chase something that isn't there, let's just hope they do so intelligently. They can't afford to fudge this momentum up.

Agree with what you are saying here and I would also like to add to it.

Even myself with the amount of work hours I have, 2/3rd of the time I spend playing on my mobile phone anyway.  Now imaging a casual gamer, if their work hours is anything like mine, the only fix they need is mobile phones to get that 30mins to an hour in a day of casual play.

Only thing keeping me on consoles is the CORE games as a gamer at heart I need to play them still lol. Slow and steady though not like the old days lol.

contestgamer said:

I dont understand your argument. So what if team sizes werent as big as they are now? Back in the 1800s we had factories work huge swaths of people to their max capacities. The only thing stopping this now are laws, but fortunately Japan still has an employer friendly society that allows them leeway in getting out the max of these developers. If they arent sleeping in sleeping bags then they arent doing their jobs well enough. I'm not asking for anything unreasonable, just make sure these developers are working the kind of hours that necessitates sleeping in the office at least half the week.

There should be a balance between getting the most out of your staff, and giving them respectable working conditions. Nintendo should hit that balance. There needs to be a balanced work culture that pushes staff to do their best, while also supporting them and giving them a decent working environment. A concentration-camp/death-march culture is very hard to get right and usually isn't a good idea. I want Nintendo to bring out the best in their developers and demand hard work from them. But I don't want to see stories and articles talking about modern Nintendo being abusive and shady towards them like Konami. Konami is not an example any game developer should follow. 

Cobretti2 said: 

Even myself with the amount of work hours I have, 2/3rd of the time I spend playing on my mobile phone anyway.  Now imaging a casual gamer, if their work hours is anything like mine, the only fix they need is mobile phones to get that 30mins to an hour in a day of casual play.

Except the Switch can do stuff phones can't do. A casual gamer can own both a Switch and a phone, just like how they can own a phone and a tablet. I'd argue the Switch is better than modern tablets for games thanks to its controllers and console level games.