By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo starts moving to a Wii-like “non-gamer” strategy for the Switch

They can't get the Wii crowd back.

We were talking about Avatar in an other thread, this is the same thing. People watched Avatar to try the new 3D, but they won't care about Avatar 2.

A lot of "non-gamers" like grandparents and families bought the Wii because it was "video-game but not only", for Wii sports and other motion games supposed to allow them to move all together in front of the TV. They tried, had fun with it for a while, and it stopped. The Wii dropped quite quickly and no other motion gaming experience came close because people don't care anymore. You will find lots of Wiis still in people's houses, not used anymore, families just lost interest after a while. If parents want to play nowadays, they'll just take a F2P game on their phone, no need for a console if it's just for rare game sessions.

So Nintendo can attract a few casual gamers with casual games, but if they expect the Wii non-gamers audience back, they're wrong.

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Cobretti2 said:

You are missing the point. casuals don't need a console, they have enough to satisfy their needs on a phone now.

The ONLY reason I have a switch is because as a gamer i need a core gaming console for more core games.

The day i go all casual is the day i won't need a console lol.

The entire point of the Switch is to make console gaming more accessible by combining it with mobile gaming. It's well suited for casual gamers with busy lives, while also introducing them to console games. That doesn't mean the Switch is a phone replacement, but I doubt casuals won't likely have both a phone and a Switch. 

Yer but look at it this way, I am a CORE gamer and I don't even carry it around unless i am going away on a weekend then maybe i will take it. 

During work days i am more than satisfied with my mobile phone games as some of them are pretty core now anyway and let's be honest i don't want to be carrying two devices, so mobile will always win.

If a casual gamer doesn't care for core games they will not need to buy a switch as their Phone will be more than enough for them.

You know what after thinking about it let them have one last crack. After all Japanese understand baseball.

Strike 1 - 1 2 Switch

Strike 2 - Labo

Strike 3 - Whatever it will be

CASUALS OUT!

Cobretti2 said:

Yer but look at it this way, I am a CORE gamer and I don't even carry it around unless i am going away on a weekend then maybe i will take it. 

During work days i am more than satisfied with my mobile phone games as some of them are pretty core now anyway and let's be honest i don't want to be carrying two devices, so mobile will always win.

If a casual gamer doesn't care for core games they will not need to buy a switch as their Phone will be more than enough for them.

Well that's just you. Other people may be fine with carrying both. Casual gamers will still buy the Switch as it offers a unique experience from smartphones. Say what you will about 1-2 Switch, you won't find anything quite like it on iOS. 

Cobretti2 said:

You know what after thinking about it let them have one last crack. After all Japanese understand baseball.

Strike 1 - 1 2 Switch

Strike 2 - Labo

CASUALS OUT!

Implying that any of these games failed when they didn't. 

TheMisterManGuy said:
Cobretti2 said:

Well that's just you. Other people may be fine with carrying both. Casual gamers will still buy the Switch as it offers a unique experience from smartphones. Say what you will about 1-2 Switch, you won't find anything quite like it on iOS. 

Cobretti2 said:

Strike 1 - 1 2 Switch

Strike 2 - Labo

CASUALS OUT!

Did they sell like Mario Odyssey or BOTW? Or Wiifit and Wiiparty? No, they failed. 

Around the Network
contestgamer said:

Did they sell like Mario Odyssey or BOTW? Or Wiifit and Wiiparty? No, they failed. 

A game doesn't need to sell 5 million in a few weeks to be a success. It all depends on the budget. Labo, and Nintendo's other "blue ocean" software didn't have crazy huge launch window sales. But they did have strong consistent legs that kept them afloat even well into the generation. Labo will probably be the same, especially since Nintendo is approaching it more like a toy than a game. 

TheMisterManGuy said:
Cobretti2 said:

Cobretti2 said:

Strike 1 - 1 2 Switch

Strike 2 - Labo

CASUALS OUT!

I live in a city of 4 million people yet I am to see anyone carry a switch and playing it, or even sitting at a park bench/bus/tram/train stoop or a food court playing one.

all i see everyday is people on their phones on facebook or playing casual games. this is the reality.

Why cross a tightrope that is about to snap in the hope of striking rich when you can cross a 10 lane freeway and guarantee yourself gold?

TheMisterManGuy said:
Cobretti2 said:

Cobretti2 said:

Strike 1 - 1 2 Switch

Strike 2 - Labo

CASUALS OUT!

1 2 Switch is pretty distant in sales rankings.  Sure it's fine to keep trying to expand the base, but also keep up with the strategy that worked so far which based on the top selling games Mario Odyssey, BOTW, MK8, and Splatoon 2, it's pretty clear what most of the fans are looking for.

My 8th gen collection

Cobretti2 said:

I live in a city of 4 million people yet I am to see anyone carry a switch and playing it, or even sitting at a park bench/bus/tram/train stoop or a food court playing one.

all i see everyday is people on their phones on facebook or playing casual games. this is the reality.

Why cross a tightrope that is about to snap in the hope of striking rich when you can cross a 10 lane freeway and guarantee yourself gold?

Well for starters, it's probably just your area, so it'll vary. Also, the Switch is only just a year old, so it'll take time to start seeing people carry it out of the house be a regular occurrence in most areas. Nintendo simply needs to continue provide compelling software that you not only want to take with you, but is also unique from smartphones. 

ICStats said: 

1 2 Switch is pretty distant in sales rankings.  Sure it's fine to keep trying to expand the base, but also keep up with the strategy that worked so far which based on the top selling games Mario Odyssey, BOTW, MK8, and Splatoon 2, it's pretty clear what most of the fans are looking for.

That still doesn't make the game a failure because it didn't do crazy 9 million numbers off the bat. 2 million copies in counting is still pretty impressive for a game like it.