By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YouTuber plays God of War 4 and laments it. God of War 4 might set dangerous trend.

Hynad said:
KLAMarine said:

Bait people to what? I think the fact that a hack-and-slash franchise has changed itself so drastically and now resembles a game like TLoU a lot more and goes on to be very successful is something to worry about and thread-worthy.

I do worry games like DMC and Bayonetta might be influenced by this success in a negative way. Additionally, God of War was once a good gateway franchise that helped introduce people to the hack-and-slash genre. Not so much now...

God of War is still a hack and slash game. It's simply less arcadey this time around. Less brainless. More grounded.
Since you bring up the shoulder camera, and say it's among the aspects that makes the game bad for the industry, why don't you blame RE4 for it? That's the game that popularized that view point. And TLOU because there's a sidekick? That seems to be a very myopic way of judging the game. As if TLOU was the first game to do it. 

But I guess all hack and slash games need to follow the brainless, no shit given formula from DMC and Bayonetta. Anything different will end up being the bane of the video game industry...

Seems to me like you're bringing this guy's video here to get the opportunity of downplaying both TLOU and the new GoW.

"God of War is still a hack and slash game. It's simply less arcadey this time around. Less brainless. More grounded. "

>It certainly still is but not everyone is too happy about some of the changes.

"Since you bring up the shoulder camera, and say it's among the aspects that makes the game bad for the industry"

>No, I think GoW4's success after such a drastic change to its formula might prove tempting to other hack-and-slash game devs. An over-the-shoulder perspective on its own isn't automatically bad but walking sections are something I would hate to have in a fast-paced hack-and-slash. For whatever reason, now there are walking sections in GoW. I understand there are climbing sections too where little to nothing happens save for climbing.

"why don't you blame RE4 for it? That's the game that popularized that view point. And TLOU because there's a sidekick? That seems to be a very myopic way of judging the game. As if TLOU was the first game to do it."

>It would be unrealistic to hold Capcom or Naughty Dog responsible for Sony Santa Monica's decisions. Also, I recall the over-the-shoulder angle when RE4 released being relatively new. Granted, RE4 was also a drastic change for the RE franchise and I can understand why some RE fans would not be fond of RE4. That said, it's been some 13 years since RE4's release and there are far more games with this viewpoint around. TLoU is a new IP, it's not taking the name from a previous IP and changing the formula and resembling other games as a result.

"But I guess all hack and slash games need to follow the brainless, no shit given formula from DMC and Bayonetta. Anything different will end up being the bane of the video game industry..."

>No, hack-and-slash games don't all have to follow the same formula but as far as I know, most hack-and-slash games let you jump. This allows for evasion and facilitating/exploiting air combat. Allows for a new arena where flying enemies could be engaged for example and repurposing the buttons on your controller. No more jumping in this new GoW.

"Seems to me like you're bringing this guy's video here to get the opportunity of downplaying both TLOU and the new GoW."

>Or maybe it was to convey my worry about an established franchise like GoW seeming to take cues from TLoU? I don't care for walking sections for example. I like Half Life 2 but that has walking-talking sections to them which are crap and have no skip button. Gotta tell the story!

God of War 3 did the father-child aspect better if you ask me.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

I'm pretty sure you haven't played the game.

That along with the nature of your responses to everything and everyone make me pretty sure this thread was created with an agenda. 

Last edited by Hynad - on 01 May 2018

Eric2048 said:
KLAMarine said:

"K so he shouldn't go around posting a review as he is the only one who sees the truth when the fact is you he is biased. "

>TheGamingBrit is free to post whatever he likes on YouTube.

"He can adress it as much as he wants, fact of the matter is stats are just stats, increasing them should not and will never change gameplay, not at large, they do in a way, if you have more defense and therefore can absorb more blows you migth get more reckless, if you deal more damage you might choose to rush a particularly dangerous enemy to get him out of the equation quickly and whatnot."

>TGB agrees with you that stats don't drastically change gameplay. I believe the point he was trying to make was he'd rather have unlockable moves (which he acknowledges are in this game and approves of) over unlockable stat points in a hack-and-slash.

"Being a fan of the old games does not mean you will dislike this, you claimed it would (or The Gamming Brit did)."

>I don't think either of us said that...

"None of those things are TLoU's inventions, those things happen in like 1 billion other games."

>Who said they were TLoU's invention?

"GoW always had a story, its just much better now than it was before, the game having an extra faccet does not make it worse, it makes it much better. Ive played the game for like 60 hours, at least 90% of those were exploring/navigating the environment and fighting, wich is exactly what you always did in this series, the main focus of the game is still the action and exploration. The combat is different but its just another take at hack and slash, one may prefer the old one over the new one, fine, but saying the gamming having a well developed story is somehow a detractor is wierd. Ppl with this mentaly is exactly the reaosn why all we get today are dumb multiplayer games with no substance at all."

>A story can be a detractor if a focus on the story interferes with gameplay. In this God of War's case, Cory Barlog seems to have not given Kratos the ability to jump because he thought it made less sense story-wise, an ability TGB would have liked in the game. An ability that could have opened up the way in which the player controls Kratos. Additional movesets could have been implemented.

Might have been because it was a remake of sorts...

Remake or not you can still see that the series formula is aging just look at the game right before that.

how well do you think the new God of War would have been received if they had stuck to the old formula hmm?

Would people be praising it as great game or would they be rolling their eyes saying "Here we go again".

I honestly don't know. I think introducing new gods and mythologies could have helped the next GoW justify its existence. Kratos takes on new gods.

deskpro2k3 said:
KLAMarine said:

If it's a joke thread like you say, why are you still here?

Being a good samaritan.

(in a previous post)

Me: "Who is he to say what a ND game should be like and a hack & slash game should be like?"

You: "A guy who buys and plays games and is also entitled to his own opinion?"

Oh please. Franchises like MGS, Final Fantasy, Mario, Castlevania, SimCity, and Civilization would've never evolved with that kind of excuse.

Some don't want the games they like to "evolve".

Hynad said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Being a good samaritan.

(in a previous post)

Me: "Who is he to say what a ND game should be like and a hack & slash game should be like?"

You: "A guy who buys and plays games and is also entitled to his own opinion?"

Oh please. Franchises like MGS, Final Fantasy, Mario, Castlevania, SimCity, and Civilization would've never evolved with that kind of excuse.

Based on what he does here, he seems to be more entitled to this guy's opinion than the guy himself.

Well shit, if I could have the guy himself in this thread, I would. I can't though so I won't... I'll just try to represent his views as best as I can.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Wow a guy that blasted the game before it came out didn't like the game?

I'm so surprised.

He does acknowledge there's a possibility the game will be good but laments, based on trailers two years ago, its distancing from its roots.

Hynad said:
KLAMarine said:

That along with the nature of your responses to everything and everyone make me pretty sure this thread was created with an agenda. 

I have only played GoW1 a bit but most of my exposure has been through LPs. Kratos is just a fun character and his old voice actor delivers a great performance.

Just ignore this thread guys.

KLAMarine said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Are you intentionally playing dumb?

No. Are you going to answer my questions?

deskpro2k3 said:

It's a joke thread just like the other one.

I've been answering your questions for the last few replies in a straight forward manner and I can't make them anymore palatable.

Around the Network
Eric2048 said:
Just ignore this thread guys.

You're free to do so of course.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Hynad said:

He is an expert, played the first that released like 15 years ago, watched some lets plays of some others cause kratos voice is HOT and now its concerned about GOW changing the formula, what agenda is he doing ? He is just a concerned and totaly unbias individual concerned about the gaming industry, that is why he posted this totally unbias opinion of this game series he clearly proved that he loved, you know. This 94 or 95 metacritic game have the potential to destroy gaming industry forever you know.

"He is an expert"

>I don't consider myself an expert. I defer to Bick Benedict on that front.

"played the first that released like 15 years ago, watched some lets plays of some others cause kratos voice is HOT"

>Hey man, I'm just saying the voice acting is great. Over-the-top characters tearing each other apart is my jam.

"and now its concerned about GOW changing the formula, what agenda is he doing ? He is just a concerned and totaly unbias individual concerned about the gaming industry, that is why he posted this totally unbias opinion of this game series he clearly proved that he loved, you know. This 94 or 95 metacritic game have the potential to destroy gaming industry forever you know."

>No, I'm just worried I'll find walking sections in the next Bayonetta. Kind of like single-player game fans worry about an abundance of multiplayer-centric games.

GOWTLOZ said:
KLAMarine said:

No. Are you going to answer my questions?

I've been answering your questions for the last few replies in a straight forward manner and I can't make them anymore palatable.

But I have yet to get an answer to my question: when did TGB say GoW games were hack-n-slash for kids?

KLAMarine said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
Wow a guy that blasted the game before it came out didn't like the game?

I'm so surprised.

He does acknowledge there's a possibility the game will be good but laments, based on trailers two years ago, its distancing from its roots.

It's distancing from it's roots because the game would've been boring. No one needed a 5th god of war game just like the others, this isn't MS first party. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I have yet to play the game, but based on all the trailers and gameplay I've seen, I feel he has a point. Not just for this game, but the industry as a whole.

A lot of 3rd person games are starting to become very formulaic. Cinematic over the shoulder view, interrupting narration, heavily scripted set pieces and pretentious writing with overly brooding characters. If a game takes itself too seriously, it'll age poorly, assuming it hasn't already fallen flat on release smelling like a bad B-movie.

These things might not all apply to God of War, and it might do a lot of things well, but I can understand why a fan would be disappointed that a series that had quite an original theme and gameplay ends up being rebooted with a burnt out formula.

Shiken said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I feel Sony is essentially making all their action games very similar.

God of War plays more like Dark Souls than the Last of Us.  The only thing it has in common with TLoU is the over the shoulder camera and a child companion.

Uncharted is a fast paced 3rd person shooter during action sequences...nothing like GoW.

Infamous SS is a fast paced sandbox.

Horizon Zero Dawn is more comparible to BotW than any other Sony game, and even then it is still unique.

Knack 2 is an action 3D platformer.

I mean come on. are you really trying to say Sony makes their games the same?  That would be MS, who pretty much seems to cancel anything that is different from their usual formula.  I am suprised Sea of Thieves made it, and despite the low scores, it is the one XBox exclusive to interest me since Sunset Overdrive.

But I digress...

God of War needed to evolve, Acension proved that.  SSM did an amazing job with this sequel/reboot and I do not agree with most points made by this guy.  While you cannot please everyone, the incredible reception of the game is proof that they made the right decision to change the focus and mix it up.

I'm referring to the heavy story focus, the graphics are starting to look similar between their games, the gameplay mechanics are leaning more towards realism (huge change for GoW). It feels like GoW evolved into something similar like other Sony games. I see similarities between Uncharted, TLoU, The Order, Horizon and now GoW. I'm not really complaining, its just the direction Sony has gone and it works for them.

Infamous:SS is an exception as that basically a super hero game. Knack is more hack n' slash, but also irrelevant.

The biggest issues with Ascension wasn't the gameplay. The story wasn't interesting and world felt uninspired. I would make the same argument for Gears Judgement, the gameplay was still good but other aspects that were lacking. While a game like Halo Reach felt fresh and raised the bar for the IP.

I like the new GoW, but it also make me yearn for a hack n' slash game that isn't so story focused.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

ArchangelMadzz said:
KLAMarine said:

It's distancing from it's roots because the game would've been boring.

Perhaps to you.

ArchangelMadzz said:

No one needed a 5th god of war game just like the others, this isn't MS first party. 

It didn't need to be like the previous games. It could have improved upon its old formula but instead Kratos can't jump any more despite Cory's acknowledgement that such a thing would have been fun. It wouldn't make story sense according to him.

brendude13 said:
I have yet to play the game, but based on all the trailers and gameplay I've seen, I feel he has a point. Not just for this game, but the industry as a whole.

A lot of 3rd person games are starting to become very formulaic. Cinematic over the shoulder view, interrupting narration, heavily scripted set pieces and pretentious writing with overly brooding characters. If a game takes itself too seriously, it'll age poorly, assuming it hasn't already fallen flat on release smelling like a bad B-movie.

These things might not all apply to God of War, and it might do a lot of things well, but I can understand why a fan would be disappointed that a series that had quite an original theme and gameplay ends up being rebooted with a burnt out formula.

Not that there's anything wrong with liking these kinds of games. Just that I feel the over-the-shoulder camera angle, walking sections, and parent-child dynamic was already covered by TLoU... Unless the next TLoU won't have these things?

Now I'm wondering if this new God of War has a sex mini-game.